Need opinion on a Christmas gift for a young lady

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anagarika

Re: Need opinion on a Christmas gift for a young lady

Post by anagarika »

I’d suggest if she’s inclined to do some physical training, unbreakable umbrella will serve better than a knife. It’s non lethal (mostly) and requires less skill to use.

If really has to be a knife, I’d say dragonhawk / hawkfly or Jazzlica / Delijazz.
Small knofe with hawkbill / wharncliffe with serrated is better. It lacerates but hopefully the cut is effective but not lethal. Stopping an attacker is by one of things: the will or the ability to attack. One of them gone, the attack stops. Stay safe media by Mike Janich will give better idea how to use knife and what to target.
Of course training & having the mindset to use a knife is a prerequisite.
Chris :spyder:
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

calebj06 wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:If you're looking for a self defense knife, why not a knife designed for that specific purpose? My recommendation would be a serrated ARK.
This has my interest. Wondering how it would do in a purse or something. She hates wearing things around her neck.
Neck carry doesn't work that well for self defense anyway, nor for women in general (clothing issues). On the other hand, a plastic wire tie or two can be used to attach the sheath to a purse, or some paracord will allow the knife to be dropped in a pocket or carried in the waistband of her pants/skirt (search static cord).
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Matriarch was expressly designed for use by untrained women as a self defense knife. Pepper spray has better reach. Get both?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Double post.
Last edited by spyderwolf on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

small, easy to carry, effective deterrent? My suggestions, after training and pepper spray OFC, would be the Lil'Matriarch (doubles as an excellent EDC utility knife!)

it won't kill, but it'll hurt
alternatively I believe that a curved blade (DF Hawkbill, Tasman...) coupled with serrations would also be very thin in the pocket, easy to carry and conceal and deadly effective need it be, also serving as a general use folder

(blood)
► Show Spoiler
and if a fixed blade is also considered, IME the ARK is so thin and flat that can fit any pocket, as tight as it may be, and is easily held with strong grip, very fast in the hand and its grind would deliver box cutter type cuts with terrific ease, with the strength and carryability of a fixed knife

(blood again :D )
► Show Spoiler
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

If she is realy concerned about beign attacked,her clothes should acomodate her weapon,not the other way around.If she carries in her purse,she will only provide the attacker with a knife.And if shooting an attacker doesnt fit her,how will she be able to cut or stab a men?A knife is useless for SD without the skils which came only after many hours of training.A knife in her purse will do her more harm than good,it will lure her into a false sentiment of security.Buy her a good pepper spray.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

SF Native wrote:Tatanka. Make her a nice leather sheath for strapping to her thigh. If nothing else, any wrong doers would be really impressed and likely leave her alone.
Hope you are joking...
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

spyderwolf wrote:A knife is useless for SD without the skils which came only after many hours of training.
If you think that, try taking a sharp knife away from an hysterical 3 yr. old. ;)

Knife fighting requires training. Using a knife to get an attacker off of you only requires the will to use it.
cELLiBAIt

Post by cELLiBAIt »

Maybe this beauty?

$139.95, free shipping stateside with code 'SANTA' ;)

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP81GP ... ed-edition
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

spyderwolf wrote:
SF Native wrote:Tatanka. Make her a nice leather sheath for strapping to her thigh. If nothing else, any wrong doers would be really impressed and likely leave her alone.
Hope you are joking...
Of course I am. If she needs a self defense knife, the choice is obvious. Matriarch. That’s what it’s designed for.
But the first rule of self defense is “don’t put yourself into dangerous situations”.
Next is “get away from a dangerous situation”.
Her best bet might be to use her most dangerous weapon, her brain, and find a better job.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

cELLiBAIt wrote:Maybe this beauty?

$139.95, free shipping stateside with code 'SANTA' ;)

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP81GP ... ed-edition
MAP is $129 and all the major dealers offer free shipping at this price point. No need for a code usually.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ink--51528

He did say nothing bigger than a Native5 though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The pink Native5 is a winner and a portion of the sales goes to charity. :) Win and win!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's on the expensive side of things, but the P'Kal is worth a mention. Made for SD, it's compact, it's got the wave assisted open, and you can learn the "basic" p'kal technique in a few minutes.

Even if you talked her into carrying a gun though, she's still going to need to practice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

A ‘stick’ is more effective and less lethal, requires minimal training (i.e. swatting a fly will do) so here’s the link: https://unbreakableumbrella.com
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

An Asp would be good, but there is no way most women will carry one as they weigh about a pound. A good item is also a stun gun. It is a rare person that can stand 100,000 to 500,000 volts and not hit the ground from one of those things (though I have seen it once).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

dsvirsky wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:A knife is useless for SD without the skils which came only after many hours of training.
If you think that, try taking a sharp knife away from an hysterical 3 yr. old. ;)

Knife fighting requires training. Using a knife to get an attacker off of you only requires the will to use it.
There is no such a thing as knife fighting-except in the movies,of course.In reality,the best defence against a knife is run like ****-even if its a 3 years old lactose intolerant.
You think a small girl,with no training will be able,under stress,to get her knife from her purse,deploy it,and use it before she is hit or grabbed?
Best thing she could do with the knife is give it to the attacker,hopping he will be so glad he will walk away.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Doc Dan wrote:An Asp would be good, but there is no way most women will carry one as they weigh about a pound. A good item is also a stun gun. It is a rare person that can stand 100,000 to 500,000 volts and not hit the ground from one of those things (though I have seen it once).
Doc,

The collapsible umbrella is the closest thing to a baton with additional working umbrella function. Check it out. I haven’t bought one due to budget constraints (and I can resort to a real baton).
The video is impressive I’d say.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

ABX2011 wrote:I'd get her a Chaparral for everyday use and pepper spray for defense.
This :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

anagarika wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:An Asp would be good, but there is no way most women will carry one as they weigh about a pound. A good item is also a stun gun. It is a rare person that can stand 100,000 to 500,000 volts and not hit the ground from one of those things (though I have seen it once).
Doc,

The collapsible umbrella is the closest thing to a baton with additional working umbrella function. Check it out. I haven’t bought one due to budget constraints (and I can resort to a real baton).
The video is impressive I’d say.
I've seen the video and it does look interesting. I like the Asp because it fits in my pocket. They do make a light weight ASP, but I have never tried one. I use the steel baton.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

On the self-defense front, I agree with the 37 others who've mentioned pepper spray. My wife carries one with a Velcro strap for walking/running -- that would work well for keeping both hands available in a parking lot (just put it in-hand before heading to the car).

My daughter life-guards, and I got her a Native 5. She prefers blue, so I went with the s110v LW. But there is the pink one; CS still has an s90v in orange FRN for a good price. The green G10 s90v exclusive is a little pricier.

On the green note: I think DLT had some of the hap40 Caly3 in stock recently, and that's a pretty great knife.

Chaparral gives you the option of the Raffir Noble scales, and you could pick out a really nice one.

As usual, too many choices. I'm sure she'll love whatever you pick out, and will appreciate such a thoughtful gift!