New tidbits about next year's catalog (and discontinued list info)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

New tidbits about next year's catalog (and discontinued list info)

Post by curlyhairedboy »

KnifeNews just came out with an article about 2018, with some interesting quotes from Eric:

http://knifenews.com/spyderco-2018-catalog-preview/

We also spoke to Glesser about the surprising discontinued list and what it could mean for the future. Many were surprised at the cuts, but Glesser points out they weren’t all made because of underwhelming sales. “Every single one of those discontinuations has a different reason.” The ambitious Nirvana, for instance, shocked many when it was pulled after just a year on the market. But Glesser hinted that the withdrawal might have happened in anticipation of something else. “We have a new [Peter] Rassenti we’re working on and we’re really excited about it.”

This year seemed to indicate an interest in more user-oriented options, but Glesser doesn’t see it that way. Instead, he hopes to appeal to everyone from the entry-level user to the high-end collector. Spyderco hopes to offer something for everyone in 2018. “We’re trying to be on all of it all of the time.”
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Re: New tidbits about next year's catalog (and discontinued list info)

Post by vivi »

I hope this means more BIG KNIVES. I do not work in an office, I don't live in europe, and a closed delica is smaller than my palm is wide. The lack of large folders has me looking at other companies for the first time this decade.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

between the shaman and the carribeans, those are two rather meaty new knives
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
vivi

Post by vivi »

curlyhairedboy wrote:between the shaman and the carribeans, those are two rather meaty new knives
Neither are lockbacks though. I don't trust detent based locks to stay closed in my pocket after having 4 different knives open in my pocket. Got enough scars already :D

The Shaman is small IMO. For me pocket knives start at the Endura size, anything smaller I don't care for.

I may pick-up one of the large caribbeans just to try out LC200N, but I'm hoping we see that steel in a lockback or EDC sized fixed blade this year.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

More K390..... :rolleyes:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Please be a Druid
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Vivi wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:between the shaman and the carribeans, those are two rather meaty new knives
Neither are lockbacks though. I don't trust detent based locks to stay closed in my pocket after having 4 different knives open in my pocket. Got enough scars already :D

The Shaman is small IMO. For me pocket knives start at the Endura size, anything smaller I don't care for.

I may pick-up one of the large caribbeans just to try out LC200N, but I'm hoping we see that steel in a lockback or EDC sized fixed blade this year.
Good to know! I assume you've tried carry where the spine of the knife is pinned against the pocket edge? (e.g. tip up right hand carry, or back right pocket tip down carry)
vivi

Post by vivi »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Good to know! I assume you've tried carry where the spine of the knife is pinned against the pocket edge? (e.g. tip up right hand carry, or back right pocket tip down carry)
Yep. They came open in my pocket.

Tough to do in board shorts though. I usually don't have pockets in the summer.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:I hope this means more BIG KNIVES. I do not work in an office, I don't live in europe, and a closed delica is smaller than my palm is wide. The lack of large folders has me looking at other companies for the first time this decade.
Dude, really? Lots of Millie sprints and the Shaman just dropped. The larger Caribbean on the way.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I just read your response, the Shaman is not small for me but YMMV.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad wrote:I just read your response, the Shaman is not small for me but YMMV.
I too favor lock backs by a large margin, but the Shaman I had was very tight on detent. I purposely don't flick any of my knives but never flicked the Shaman while I had it. Only sold it to fund a Manix2 M4
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
Vivi wrote:I hope this means more BIG KNIVES. I do not work in an office, I don't live in europe, and a closed delica is smaller than my palm is wide. The lack of large folders has me looking at other companies for the first time this decade.
Dude, really? Lots of Millie sprints and the Shaman just dropped. The larger Caribbean on the way.
Yes, dude, that is how I really feel. Spyderco makes very few knives sized for my hands. Luckily for you, you were born with hands closer to the average. I was not. The world also rarely sizes automobiles, brooms, pants and many other things to my body size. It is frustrating loving a brand but having maybe 5% of their offerings appeal to me, to the point that despite admiring the craftsmanship of their knives and the morality of their company, I am having to shop elsewhere for what I want.

They are failing to satisfy the market for large folders. Probably makes good business sense since smaller knives sell well, but it's still the choice they've made.

The shaman is not a big knife to me. I am someone that has no qualms about EDCing knives the size of a Szabo folder, and I am someone that retired my Para 2 largely due to its small size.

I've also been waiting on the Military 2 for a decade or longer now. I'd rather see that than another carbon steel sprint I'd rust by looking at it funny :D I'd take a CTSBD1 / DLC Military with a lock featuring a self close over the current version offered in ANY steel / scale combination of my choice.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Yes, dude, that is how I really feel. Spyderco makes very few knives sized for my hands. Luckily for you, you were born with hands closer to the average. I was not. The world also rarely sizes automobiles, brooms, pants and many other things to my body size. It is frustrating loving a brand but having maybe 5% of their offerings appeal to me, to the point that despite admiring the craftsmanship of their knives and the morality of their company, I am having to shop elsewhere for what I want.

They are failing to satisfy the market for large folders. Probably makes good business sense since smaller knives sell well, but it's still the choice they've made.

The shaman is not a big knife to me. I am someone that has no qualms about EDCing knives the size of a Szabo folder, and I am someone that retired my Para 2 largely due to its small size.
You be a large fella then! I hope you get what you wish for then, your contributions here are always good
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

What's Europe got to do with it? We bring OTF autos to the office and the only thing anybody says is hey let me try that. :D and what does an office have to do with it ;)

You just have to be in the right part of Europe.
Last edited by Midnightrider on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

manix 2 backlock xl would be cool
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Midnightrider wrote:
What's Europe got to do with it? We bring OTF autos to the office and the only thing anybody says is hey let me try that. :D and what does an office have to do with it ;)

You just have to be in the right part of Europe.
I must have missed the USPK they designed specifically for people living in North America ;) And the DKPK, which part of America was that designed for? ;)

Though I will give you the euro-edge :D

No idea why but most people are of the mindset that office = I can't carry a knife that is big enough to hold with four fingers. I EDC'd a Police last time I had an office job (2007) without issue so I'm not sure where that mindset came from.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Conflating UK and Denmark with all of Europe is just ignorant. Do you really think NYC and California and Washington DC have laws that are so different from those in London? Denial and delusion
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Midnightrider wrote:Conflating UK and Denmark with all of Europe is just ignorant. Do you really think NYC and California and Washington DC have laws that are so different from those in London? Denial and delusion
Simmah dawn naw.

And btw California has almost no regulation of non-auto folders.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Exactly
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Vivi wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Yep. They came open in my pocket.

Tough to do in board shorts though. I usually don't have pockets in the summer.
how'd you like the tatanka?