Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Post by VashHash »

I never wish I had one knife.

If I had to narrow it down it would be 2.

Kris and H1 spyderhawk, probably my original h1 spyderhawk at that. It's one of my most carried and used knives.
These have a few miles on them

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:34 am

Kris and H1 spyderhawk, probably my original h1 spyderhawk at that. It's one of my most carried and used knives.

"Wave mod" on that Spyderhawk? :p
jackh

Post by jackh »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm
I know that must sound crazy to most of you, but hear me out lol.

I've always liked the idea of having items that I carry for many years and sort of grow with and have history with. Many of the knives I own, I have practically no relationship with. Does that make sense? I've used them all, but it's like we're acquaintances but not old friends and even less are best friends. Having a selection and collecting is fun, but I feel like I've lost that connection or bond that I've had in the past. My grandfather loved that saying, any time someone would ask if he had a knife, he would say "Of course I do, I've got my pants on don't I?" and for as long as I can remember, probably at least as long as I was alive while he still was, he carried the same knife (an old Case). Someday when I'm long gone, I hope my knives are still around and my grandkids inherit them, but it would make me happier if my son could say "THAT was your grandfather's knife, he carried it every day of his life", not "Yeah this is a collection of knives your grandfather had, they spent most of their time in boxes".

My problem is even if I convinced myself to narrow it down to just one knife, I have no idea what it would be. I honestly don't think that knife exists just yet, and that's why I've bought so many over the years. When I joined this forum, back when I knew far less about knives and steels and such, I never owned more than one knife, and that was "my knife" and I was content and perhaps had a bit of that "ignorance is bliss" thing.

My other problem is I hate selling knives. People generally suck and low-ball you to death and since all mine are used I'd feel like I was giving them away.

Anyway. Does anyone else ever feel like this? I keep thinking about a pic that Vivi (I think) posted a while back of a Military, I think it's the old D2 version, with a crazy thin edge and it had a nice patina and just looked so well loved. I appreciate things like that.
I know your feeling exactly. From kidhood through adulthood I always had one or two at the most pocket knives I carried. Other knives I had were for hunting or something more specialized but even then I only had one hunting knife, one tool box knife, etc. I don't hunt any more but now I have 5-10 work knives and 10-15 EDC pocket knives. I also have one EDC fixed blade.

Now I have two opinions. For EDC one knife isn't enough because there's no telling what EDC cutting task I may do. Therefore I won't carry only one knife. I mean, since I have them I might as well at least carry them even though most of the time one single average size pocket knife is enough.

My other opinion (like yours) is I like the feeling of having that one knife that is "the one". Sounds kind of goofy sort of since "the one" phrase is usually referring to a girl or a boy you may be fond of.

So, in the last few minutes, since I read your post, I'm going to pick my "the one" EDC knife. Then I'll also carry others as I see fit. This way I can satisfy both desires. To have "the one" and also to have "the others". Some guys do think of girls like this but I'd never see the similarities. :) One good thing is when talking about knives "the one" never gets jealous of "the others".

Now let's see how easy it is to pick "the one" knife.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'm no good at rotating either. It's all about what I'm currently hooked on. But i am much newer to spyderco than the vast majority of you, so I'm still experimenting and finding out what my preferences are. With the exception of maybe 3 days, I've been carrying my cruwear pm2 since i bought it. I love my s110v and 204p millies, but the cruwear as well as the more robust pivot construction (IMO - liners, lock) of the pm2 give it a great feel. I also really like my Cold Steel 4max and the recon 1 but don't carry them very often for one reason or another. I have a feeling ill be carrying the m4 pm2 i just acquired along with the cruwear for a side-by-side comparison, just going by feel and how they seem to perform.

As I slowly discover and narrow down my preferences, I feel I will most likely only be buying less than a handful of models, and will be very picky about steel. After discovering that 204p can be chippy (it was completely my fault for the chip), I said to myself "if it's prone to chipping at all, why not stick to a steel with higher edge retention?".... and now I'm thinking I will end up selling the 204p military and keeping my s110v military (especially since they are both stainless), and holding out for another model.

I have a feeling I'll eventually be carrying 2 knives at all times (one for edge holding and one for toughness) depending on what I plan on cutting that day. If corrosion resistance is needed, these 2 steels would probably be cruwear and s110v. If not, it would probably be 4v/m4 and maxamet (hopefully one day rex 121). My thought process may seem strange to some, but so far I'm finding it much more beneficial to carry 2 knives with very different properties.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 am
VashHash wrote:

I didn't even notice that. It's the most current pic I had of it. I haven't done it that was just about where it would be.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:13 am
ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 am
VashHash wrote:

I didn't even notice that. It's the most current pic I had of it. I haven't done it that was just about where it would be.

reminds me of these two :cool:

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I feel pretty certain I could get down to 2 pocket knives pretty easily. I'd keep one for work, and one for everything else. The problem is figuring out the two.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Donut

Post by Donut »

No, never.

I hardly ever carry anything outside of my FRN S110V Manix and Elmax HEAT. Well, when I go to the gym I carry just a CF Dodo.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I keep hearing people rave about the Pacific Salt and say that it would be the one knife they would keep if it came to that.

I would probably be just fine with a PM2 or a Manix 2 -- in pretty much any steel. But I enjoy reaching in my drawer and pulling out something I haven't carried in a while. I'm trying to think if there is any knife that I have a history or connection with, but not really. There are a lot of great knives and I am glad to be able to have variety. Another question to ask myself would be if there are any knives that I would just get rid of. In other words, which would be the first to go if I had to start pruning. For some reason the Manix XL jumps to mind -- not that there is a thing wrong with it, but it just ain't my thing. I'd rather carry the military, tip down and all, if it is about carrying a big blade.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

What I should do is swap that Manix XL for a Police 4 in K390 -- that would be a more interesting knife in the "big blade" department.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:50 pm
What I should do is swap that Manix XL for a Police 4 in K390 -- that would be a more interesting knife in the "big blade" department.

As much as I love the Manix 2 I just didn't feel it for the XL so I'd do exactly that. It's also the only way to get into K390 at the moment. The Ulize is pretty awesome too if you can find one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:25 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:50 pm

As much as I love the Manix 2 I just didn't feel it for the XL so I'd do exactly that. It's also the only way to get into K390 at the moment. The Ulize is pretty awesome too if you can find one.
I have to agree about the ulize. It carries so well for a large folder. The blade shape is very useful too. This is why it's so hard to narrow it down. It's still part of my EDC rotation.
cesma

Post by cesma »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 pm
cesma wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 pm
Yes, crkt crossbone....the perfect knife at the moment.
I've been rather unimpressed with crkt's 8cr13mov. Everything's ok until you need to cut something abrasion resistant. It seems to blunt much more quickly than spyderco's.

I can't just own one knife. I could get by with 2 though. Hypothetically, I'd like a PM2 XL (or military with full liners and a compression lock) in Cruwear, as well as a regular pm2 (or another pm2 XL) in Rex 121 or maxamet. I enjoy the pm2 for edc over the military but occasionally need a 4" blade. If I had only 1 blade, I would have a stronger need for toughness/apex stability over incredible edge retention, but I would certainly wish I had a knife with incredible edge retention as well.
You're right about the steel option of the crossbone but it's really my optimum edc option....if i've to make a choice about hard use knife i'd like the houndred peacer or police 4.
Crux

Post by Crux »

The only time in my life that I ever felt this way was when I was a wee lad and didn't even have a knife. Not really an issue after that.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

One of the nice thing about knives is that almost anyone can afford a really nice one...and that’s not something you can say about most things (Think sports cars, homes, girlfriends/wife.)

For about $200 a piece, you can pick from a wide verity of excellent knives. So over time, you can acquire a nice stash of pieces of usable art.
The only knife I own that I’m not still excited about owning is my $5 Husky box cutter...if I lost it I wouldn’t care a bit:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thinking about it I don’t collect anything. My uncle was a crazy collector, razors, plastic kitchen radios, bottle openers, checker sets. He'd pull something odd-ball down from a shelf now and then, tell a story about where he had found it and put it back. When he died my aunt had this ton of crap to deal with.

A while ago I decided I no longer needed or wanted my aggregation of Spydercos. I liked each one, but they mostly sat in their boxes until I took one out to carry it for a day or two or play with it for a while. I consistently carried and used my Rhino. During my two months of hospital hades experiences I carried my Dragonfly in a small green bag along with a few other necessities. I never used it and later forgot it was there. I used my Rhino for something every day.

So, I’ve sold all of my other Spydies but the Rhino and One-Eyed Jack, and I’m not sure about that one. I want to get to two, maybe three, Spydies that I can carry daily, either individually or together. I have decided one will be a Lil' Native Comp Lock.

So, I don’t wish I had only one. I can be happy with three that suit my uses and my esthetics. I don’t see the need for more. That’s not to say I don’t want more but a guy has to stop somewhere.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

for years, my only knife was a sog flash ii. it was a fine knife, but it had a little bit of blade play and the clip was always scratching cars and catching on things. i lost that knife a thousand times and would go days without a knife just hoping it wouldn’t come back so i could get something different. it always came back. in fact, i still have it.
my wife finally upgraded me to a zt0350, which replaced it for a couple years, but once i had two knives, it became clear to me that a man could have more than one. things snowballed from there quite quickly and i found my way back to spyderco (my first knife was a ladybug -hence the name-, but it was lost long ago).

i guess what i’m saying is... no. i don’t wish i only had one. i enjoy rotating. i could probably get rid of the majority of my collection and be good though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C