Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Do you ever wish you only had 1 knife?

Post by anycal »

This thought has crossed my mind as I received my latest new knife. It wasn't necessarily a regret, but I did have a 'what the ... are you doing' moment.

For many years, I carried only one folder. Had another as a backup, but for almost 20 years one dominated my pocket or waist band.

Spyderco changed that for me. As I was new (still am) to this brand, it was exciting to learn about and acquire different models in different steel. Although the appreciation is still there, I feel like I have handled enough variety that I don't need to chase that feeling anymore.

I could easily slim down my collection to three knives. Not quite 1, but there are three models I tend to carry more than anything else. I feel like I found what works for me.

Not really worth it for me to get rid of the other ones. I used them, and have no need to sell them. If anything, I may start giving some away as I have done several times in recent history. It is very enjoyable to give a nice blade to someone who appreciates a knife, but wouldn't dream of spending more than $50 on one.

I am curious to see where this recent revelation takes me over the next couple of years.
Peter
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

David, I have pondered this same thought many times in the past. I too heard my father and grandfather utter those same words all my life and I know they have escaped my own lips more times than I can count.

I have similar feelings but have been trying to show my son the advantages and disadvantages to choosing a particular knife for the task at hand or the planned chores for the day. That being said, several custom knives like the ones I fashioned or the ones I designed will have much better stories to accompany them when I pass on from this world.

I think the difference is that my interest in knives is a far cry different than my father's and grandfather's were. To them it was a tool and the sentimental nature was purely derived from my perception. With me I enjoy knives for thier use, design, materials, construction, value, etc, etc. That is the part I want to leave as my legacy. That I sought the how and why behind the tool more than just the what.

So no, I can't see myself with just one knife. Every ONE of mine will have some sort of story to accompany them though.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Nate

Post by Nate »

I don't think I'd ever try to get it down to one or even a few. I could get by with just a SAK if I had to, and basically did that for many years, but things have changed. I have three kids now, and hopefully they'll all have three to five kids of their own. I just wouldn't feel right having only ONE pocket knife to hand down! :eek:

I'd want to have at least one for each grand-child, so that's 9-15, and some back-ups. Then I have siblings and friends that I occasionally gift blades to, not to mention that some of these folks will need a good fixed blade as well. Next, I can't forget my children themselves, and their future spouses... Actually, now that I think about it, I'll probably need to buy a few more just to make sure everyone is covered!! :D

I think the main challenge is to use them all enough so that they all feel like well-worn users when the time comes.
Time to get cutting!! :p
:spyder:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

It looks like most people here have some knives with high sentimental value. I think that is the best kind of knife to have. So maybe the question ought to be, could we whittle down our collection to just the sentimental ones?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

It hasn't become a problem yet, but I probably will thin out the herd one way or another.

Hard to complain about still buying knives like a K390 Police4 or a Maxamet Para2.
seber

Post by seber »

When I find a knife I like, I carry it until it is worn out. I would only switch if I were able to find the right knife. I know exactly what it would be but I may have to make it myself to get it.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I don't but I know my wife wishes I did! :D
"No matter where you go, there you are"
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I know where the OP is coming from, and I've actually been thinking about this lately myself. I do sort of "bond" with a knife I've carried day in and day out over a period of time, but I also like trying out different steels and using a variety of designs. When I bought my PM2 in S110V, I said I'd carry that knife every day for a year, and I did. But the last couple months I was really looking forward to switching out blades and trying different designs and steels. Since then, I've only carried that PM2 a few times. Not that I don't like it, oddly enough it's actually one of my favorites but it just doesn't see much pocket time. One thing I really like about it now, is that it has a lot of genuine wear to it and it's very well broken in. These days my daily rotations consists of about 5-6 blades but I have a feeling I'll slowly start to gravitate towards 2-3 of them for a little longer than usual. At the end of the day, I enjoy the variety Spyderco offers and may be able to carry one particular knife for a period of time but I'll always enjoy picking up a knife I haven't used in a while and carrying it for a day or two, and never intend to get rid of my collection.
Nate

Post by Nate »

p_atrick wrote:It looks like most people here have some knives with high sentimental value. I think that is the best kind of knife to have. So maybe the question ought to be, could we whittle down our collection to just the sentimental ones?
Yeah on a more serious note, I get what Evil D's saying, but a lot of my knives do have various levels of sentimental value. Hard to imagine dumping them to get down to one. Blades I've worked on and tuned or modified in some way to make them mine, or used during certain experiences and times in my life. A lot of highly valued users in my collection already.

My kids, friends, and family all know I'm a knife knut. They've seen me with certain blades and have all probably suffered me droning on about this or that one. It's one of my main hobbies, it's entertainment, it's brings me a certain amount of joy. I wouldn't want to restrict it in that way while I'm still enjoying the hobby so much.

I do try to "manage" the collection somewhat to keep it reasonable and recoup funds for new targets. I'd say over time though the new blades will continue to come in slower and the group will mature. Maybe someday I'll only have a few or a very small group with very high sentimental value, but it's not now and I'm not in a big hurry to get there.

**This is another one of those times when I wish we had a "like" button on the forum. I really enjoyed reading the posts here. Nice thread Evil D.**
:spyder:
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I was a one-knife user for a handful of years (PM2, then Techno) before figuring out my usage (and sort of inventing reasons to get more :) ).

Now I run 3: 1 small folder, 1 larger more utility folder, and 1 generalist fixed blade.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I could have one EDC (Manix 2 LW in Maxamet), but I'd also need a filet knife and a utility fixed blade.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Yeah I've had this thought myself. I owned a single Native FRN for about 10 years straight. It did everything I needed it to.

And then that darn Manix 2 caught my eye, and I started hanging around forums more, and scrounging eBay. I now own a dozen folders and none of them actually do anything functional that the Native can't do.

Some how I'm going to have to hand down a giant box of knives to my kids.

Spyderco is of course to blame for all of this. They make (rough estimate) about 100 interesting models and they're all cleverly just slightly different from each other.

On the bright side, knives are small and easy to hide :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I was a one-knife-guy between 1997 and 2011, until Spyderco upset that balance, never to be restored again!

I’ve carried an alox SAK Pioneer daily since ‘97. I’m so used to the versatility and quality of the minimalist but robust alox models, I simply cannot get by without one. So I guess that’s my “one knife”. They dull quickly though, and that’s how I’ve discovered Spyderco... So, I’ve embraced the best of both worlds and have been carrying both daily for the last 6 years. It’s been the perfect match for my uses.

I appreciate the innovation and practicality Spyderco’s bring: one hand opening, pocket clip, a variety of models, locks, shapes, sizes, exotic steels and handle materials. So much variety to choose from, why restrict myself to just one? That’s why I rotate my Spydies, but have the same boring old faithful silver alox Pioneer in the other pocket daily.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

I typically only carry my SE Pacific Salt. I add a fixed blade for night hikes and night walks, otherwise it's the same knife day in day out.

One reason I could never rotate daily for weeks on end is I cannot use a factory edge and be content. Every knife that I carry needs to be reprofiled to 8-10 degrees per side before I'll pass judgement on it, because until it has that sort of edge I have no idea how well it can actually cut.

I don't like reprofiling an entire drawer full of knives. I don't like maintaining hair whittling sharp edges on 25 different knives. I've tried, it's obnoxious. It's a lot easier keeping a single knife super sharp.

It's also nice just grabbing my stuff and going. No decisions to make. Woke up late and gotta leave for work? Which knife to carry is the last thing on my mind. My wallet, keys, flashlight, pacific salt, phone etc. all go in the same spot when I get home.

EDC rotations just aren't for me. Can't think of any other knife that serves my needs better than the one I carry anyways, or else that knife would be in my pocket.

Something else I realized is any time I carry extra knives I never use them. Got a micra in my pocket and I'm in an office? I'm still opening that box with my pacific salt. Got a Military clipped to my back pocket? I have my Pac Salt in the same place every day, so I reach there first instead of my back pocket that has a knife maybe 10% of the time. Got a fixed blade on my belt and need to cut some rope at the camp site? I reach for my Pacific Salt because it's more convenient to put back in my pants one handed in the dark. Got my Tasman Salt IWB as a beater? Pacific Salt is probably sharper, I'm gonna reach for it first.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I know exactly how you feel, Dave. I have too many, and feel stupid every time I get another. I don't know what I'd settle on though. Probably a Delica wharnie. I really don't know. There's the problem.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the most realistic route would be the "set" of knives for different purposes. That is after all how I ended up with so many, aside from having backups and steel variants. Most of the knives I own were originally purchased with an intended use in mind, but what's funny is how I've still managed to stray away from using them. Part of that is because my job and needs have changed over the years, I used to cut miles of cardboard everyday and now my job barely requires a knife at all but when it does it's often to do some fairly heavy cutting so I can't really let my guard down and carry a Ladybug everywhere I go because I'll get caught with my pants down when the time comes that I need to really cut something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I think the most realistic route would be the "set" of knives for different purposes. That is after all how I ended up with so many, aside from having backups and steel variants. Most of the knives I own were originally purchased with an intended use in mind, but what's funny is how I've still managed to stray away from using them. Part of that is because my job and needs have changed over the years, I used to cut miles of cardboard everyday and now my job barely requires a knife at all but when it does it's often to do some fairly heavy cutting so I can't really let my guard down and carry a Ladybug everywhere I go because I'll get caught with my pants down when the time comes that I need to really cut something.
You should be extra careful cutting things with your pants down. :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote: You should be extra careful cutting things with your pants down. :D
:eek:

Talk about a bad time to play with your knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mad german

Post by mad german »

Evil D wrote:I know that must sound crazy to most of you, but hear me out lol.

I've always liked the idea of having items that I carry for many years and sort of grow with and have history with. Many of the knives I own, I have practically no relationship with. Does that make sense? I've used them all, but it's like we're acquaintances but not old friends and even less are best friends. Having a selection and collecting is fun, but I feel like I've lost that connection or bond that I've had in the past. My grandfather loved that saying, any time someone would ask if he had a knife, he would say "Of course I do, I've got my pants on don't I?" and for as long as I can remember, probably at least as long as I was alive while he still was, he carried the same knife (an old Case). Someday when I'm long gone, I hope my knives are still around and my grandkids inherit them, but it would make me happier if my son could say "THAT was your grandfather's knife, he carried it every day of his life", not "Yeah this is a collection of knives your grandfather had, they spent most of their time in boxes".

Anyway. Does anyone else ever feel like this? I keep thinking about a pic that Vivi (I think) posted a while back of a Military, I think it's the old D2 version, with a crazy thin edge and it had a nice patina and just looked so well loved. I appreciate things like that.
Very well said. To me, owning a knife/gun/tools/etc. just to "own" them is crazy, IMHO. I have many of my late Dad's tools, and the ones that mean the most to me are the ones that you can tell he used on a regular basis. They're worn, you can see where he held is hands on them, they have nice patinas on them that developed over time, etc. I'd love to have my boys give their kids one of my knives and have them see the scratches in the blades, the rub marks on the scales, the worn pocket clips, etc. To me, that would be much cooler than giving them a knife that basically looks like it was made yesterday.
My collection is ever changing!
eddiebob

Post by eddiebob »

The short answer is no. Kinda like guns, would one be enough? Not living in the sticks (rural). Gotta have a scoped rifle, shotgun, .22 rifle, and a pistol (bare minimum). My 6 children know I'm a knife nut and know which knives I regularly carry because they are kept in one spot. The rather expensive collectors are rarely handled and will probably go to two grandsons unless I just sell them off.
Now talking sentimental value I have my grandfathers old H&R single shot .410 that I had reblued and tightened up. It is my most precious weapon so I can see the sentimental attachment to a knife that has been carried.