MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
defenestrate

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by defenestrate »

While many prices may be higher, I have never seen a manufacturer be as transparent about pricing as Spyderco. Kristi and Sal have been very informative, and I have always felt as though we have a voice as customers in a way that is pretty much unheard of with other factory manufacturers in my experience. My purchases may be affected somewhat by price changes, but I still think the price are competitive and I'd rather pay 5% more of MSRP and see that money going toward a company I know and trust than go elsewhere.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Meh.

I’ll still buy some V-Toku2 sprints and the LC200N Endura4 Pacific Salts when they are releases. The Caribbean has been on my radar too.

David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I am still grateful that Sal, Kristi and others have explained, detailed and reasoned the increase in MAP and admitted all the difficulties they've had and why all of this,
because others (and I'm hopefully respecting the Shiny Footprints focus here) have made changes without asking, without previous notice and/or kept silence about their reasons to do so,

such as Queen closing doors this month (understandable but sudden and no more word on their part since the announcement)
or Benchmade upping their MAP not long ago

At least here we get to discuss it, and maybe have other perspectives about this evolution of pricing and costs that we'd miss otherwise, thus further defending our own, particular and often close minded view of it
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

xceptnl wrote: Though I see your point, I have already made 2 new purchases this year, both from dealers offering additional discounts bringing the price below MAP and making it closer if not lower than 2017 pricing.
You would've gotten the additional discounts in 2017 as well so it’s not really lower pricing.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I’ve already got past the increases and won’t give it a second thought.

I just look at the net price and compare it to similar knives from other brands. I recently bought my first ZT as the Spyderco I was comparing it to wasn’t as good a value after the MAP change. No big deal for Spyderco as it is only one knife and I will definately be buying more of their knives moving forward, but I am just doing what I always do. Value driven buying.

Spyderco and their reseller partners would likely prefer that I buy 9 knives under the new pricing model than 10 under the old anyways and I am good with that. B&Ms and Spyderco aren’t charities and need to keep the lights on and make a profit.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Just a heads up there is a certain knife shop that hasn't updated their pricing yet.
ThePeacent wrote:I am still grateful that Sal, Kristi and others have explained, detailed and reasoned the increase in MAP and admitted all the difficulties they've had and why all of this,
because others (and I'm hopefully respecting the Shiny Footprints focus here) have made changes without asking, without previous notice and/or kept silence about their reasons to do so,

such as Queen closing doors this month (understandable but sudden and no more word on their part since the announcement)
or Benchmade upping their MAP not long ago

At least here we get to discuss it, and maybe have other perspectives about this evolution of pricing and costs that we'd miss otherwise, thus further defending our own, particular and often close minded view of it
Hadn't heard Queen was closing, that's sad.
:unicorn
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am trying to understand what exactly is causing all this fracas.

Is it the fact that there is a change to MAP and it seems like the dealers are seeing the benefit? Or is it simply that the prices (due mainly to MAP) have gone up?

Would folks be this upset if Spyderco sold direct and raised the prices on all their knives? Is it a matter of perception?

I realize that being priced out of a hobby sucks; I have seen that before. At the end of the day, I buy what you can afford.
Peter
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

defenestrate wrote:While many prices may be higher, I have never seen a manufacturer be as transparent about pricing as Spyderco. Kristi and Sal have been very informative, and I have always felt as though we have a voice as customers in a way that is pretty much unheard of with other factory manufacturers in my experience. My purchases may be affected somewhat by price changes, but I still think the price are competitive and I'd rather pay 5% more of MSRP and see that money going toward a company I know and trust than go elsewhere.
I agree with everything you said when it comes to the yearly price increases by the company that are inevitable.

But to me, the same reasoning cannot be made every single time MAP is enforced and raised.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

anycal wrote:I am trying to understand what exactly is causing all this fracas.

Is it the fact that there is a change to MAP and it seems like the dealers are seeing the benefit? Or is it simply that the prices (due mainly to MAP) have gone up?

Would folks be this upset if Spyderco sold direct and raised the prices on all their knives? Is it a matter of perception?

I realize that being priced out of a hobby sucks; I have seen that before. At the end of the day, I buy what you can afford.
Maybe some folks already were being "very creative" in how they make their budget work BEFORE MAP and now the new MAP. Yes at the end of they day everyone will buy what they can afford but I can't see why anyone wouldnt understand the "fracas" over it.

Is it a matter of perception? A matter of hypotheticals? It just sucks at the end of the day to some people. (MAP, not the yearly Spyderco price increases). Extra harsh with both combined this year.

Also, it would be nice if there was a physicial knife store within 1000 miles of where I live since apparently, physical stores can work on the price with you.. But those days are over.

There was an online MAP workaround... the ol "add to cart for price"... SO it's not REAL MAP (minimum advertised price) IS IT?
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

I think for me it just means I will look at more expensive knives. Instead of buying a $200 Spyderco, I could put a little more with it and get a CR or a Hinderer; and if I did that I would have something more than a G10 plastic handle. It just means that knives that I would have tried at a lower entry point (shaman, for example), I will skip on. I am not priced out of buying knives, I just have always felt that Spyderco was a better buy for my money than some other brands. But the more they increase, the less I need, and the closer I get to just saving my pennies and going to custom guys.

I am not going to pretend to know the reason, I don't really care the reason; but don't act like everyone should be happy or indifferent that knives (a hobby) are going to cost more money. When someone gets into the knife world, Spyderco and Benchmade are two of the mid-high range guys, and knives that you actually have to search out. You would have a hard time convincing someone who has never owned anything but a $25 Gerber that a PM2 at $140 is $30 better than a Griptilian. You could talk about steel, and materials; but then you would get to the lock. Axis locks are wonderful mechanisms. Now, a few years ago, the price difference was only about, what? $8? At that point its whatever looks better in the users eyes.

I do feel like the PM2 is a better knife, but I definitely had a Griptilian (still do) first.

Speaking of expensive hobbies: I took my son to a train show last weekend, and these guys must spend $100k on their set ups. It was nuts. I have never been into model trains, and seeing all of these lay outs was impressive to say the least. Expensive as well.

I am going to pick up one of the chef's knives this year because MAP increase or not, $120 for that is pretty sweet!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

My problem is only my problem. I don't expect others to have it. I have just been around long enough to remember when the Military cost about $115. Now it costs $170-ish. That may not be a problem for others, I just choose to not buy a Military at that price.

Same thing happened to me when BM changed to MAP. I could buy a 710 for $115, and then it went up to $150. Sorry but I'm not paying $150 for the same knife.

It's a hobby and I don't need any of the knives I have. So, I will only buy what I want to afford. I simply don't buy knives over $200 unless there is Titanium, CF, or M4 involved. That's just me. Not saying what they are doing is bad at all, just that it has finally put a cap on what I will buy. My income is not going up at the same rate that knife companies have increased prices in the last 5 years.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I only recently found out that former Military, not just active duty, can buy knives for 50% of MSRP directly from Spyderco. For me that is going to save me a good chunk of money for my purchases compared to the 65% MAP. Just a heads up in case former Military members weren’t aware of this.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

ross8425 wrote:
anycal wrote:the more they increase, the less I need
...and the more money I save. I should be grateful for MAP, that's why I quit spending so damned much on Benchmade knives. No hard feelings, it's just business.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Holzfaeller wrote:
ross8425 wrote:
anycal wrote:the more they increase, the less I need
...and the more money I save. I should be grateful for MAP, that's why I quit spending so damned much on Benchmade knives. No hard feelings, it's just business.
Yep! I bought a lnib 551-1 for $125. Great knife, great price. Not worth the $175 NIB price.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

gunmike1 wrote:I only recently found out that former Military, not just active duty, can buy knives for 50% of MSRP directly from Spyderco. For me that is going to save me a good chunk of money for my purchases compared to the 65% MAP. Just a heads up in case former Military members weren’t aware of this.
Hard to believe such a greedy corporation (sarcasm if not obvious) would do something like this :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote:There is one thing we got to remember.. This is a hobby.. Nothing more or less.. Justa hobby.. Not a necessity.. In reality we can get by with 1 knife.. We really don't need a pile!! (Did I really say that?? :o ) As I read thru these posts there were some that I wanted to cheer about and some not so much.. We pick and choose how much we are willing to pay for a knife.. No one is forcing these down our throats.. Just a hobby.. :D As time goes on and income dwindles the choice become more important.. Do Ya? or.. Don't ya?? ;) John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Seeing so many people refusing to buy Spyderco‘s under the new MAP pricing has me excited - I’ll be able to buy some of the models that disappeared too quickly previously! I hope Sypderco bumps MAP another 5%!

David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Canazes9 wrote:Seeing so many people refusing to buy Spyderco‘s under the new MAP pricing has me excited - I’ll be able to buy some of the models that disappeared too quickly previously! I hope Sypderco bumps MAP another 5%!

David
Give it two years, if it becomes a trend (2016, 2018)

Or you don't have to wait, just get those hard to buy Spydercos at Bento Box Shop with year 2026 MAP like prices just for you ;)
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

FCM415 wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:Seeing so many people refusing to buy Spyderco‘s under the new MAP pricing has me excited - I’ll be able to buy some of the models that disappeared too quickly previously! I hope Sypderco bumps MAP another 5%!

David

Or you don't have to wait, just get those hard to buy Spydercos at Bento Box Shop with year 2026 MAP like prices just for you ;)
Exactly. They have the CF 52100 PM2 for only $294. (Plus a cool $15 shipping). Or you can get it from KC for $176. I would buy it from BBS just to pay more for the same knife.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

FCM415 wrote:

David

I’ve been eye balling the hap40 Enduras HARD at Bento Box Shop! Only thing stopping me is this upcoming V-Toku2 Sprint run.,.

David