MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

MAP policy change? 35%

Post by Popsickle »

So we’re getting a yearly price increase, and MAP is going from 40% - 35% ???
i am travvy

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by i am travvy »

Saw this post from national knives and was also shocked. I’m a loyal spyderco fan boy but things are starting to get out of reach now.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Please say it isn't so.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MAP lowered to 35% AND an overall price increase!? :confused:
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not get it? What is the point of this? Amazon doesn't even follow MAP and it is supposedly there to level the playing field. This looks like a basic case of the rules only hurting the ones who follow them.

I am still sour about MAP being implemented in the first place and now this? I might be sticking to factory seconds and discontinued models soon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

i am travvy wrote:Saw this post from national knives and was also shocked. I’m a loyal spyderco fan boy but things are starting to get out of reach now.
yep
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I've been buying fewer Spyderco knives since MAP enforcement of I think two years ago and now it'll be fewer still.

Here's the full Facebook post by National Knives, LLC an hour ago:
Stock up on your favorite Spyderco knives. Come January 1, 2018 there will not only be the yearly price increases, but also a new Minimum Advertised Price policy (MAP) that will go into effect. Currently MAP pricing is 40% below MSRP. Jan.1, that will be 35%. That's a 5% increase on top of the yearly prices increases!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I do not get it? What is the point of this? Amazon doesn't even follow MAP and it is supposedly there to level the playing field. This looks like a basic case of the rules only hurting the ones who follow them.

I am still sour about MAP being implemented in the first place and now this? I might be sticking to factory seconds and discontinued models soon.
Yup. I was excited about he new catalog and now I’m most likely passing on Spyderco offerings this year. Mandatory MAP was something I wasn’t happy about but understood from a business stand point. We have the ability to vote with our dollars and unfortunately it’s probably already known this won’t be received well.
Last edited by Popsickle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am a Spydie loyalist but with so many varieties and quality knives on the market this may be the end of blind loyalty for me. They may have found a point of negative return on this one.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Hmmm. Well, I suppose I will no longer be buying any more Spyderco knives, unless on sale.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Bummer, guess it's time to start showing our disapproval with our wallets, too bad but there are tons of other good makers out there, so much for brand loyalty, all hail the mighty dollar.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

What I have seen in the past two years since MAP was implemented (with the exception of Amazon who is above the law) is basically price fixing. The pricing appears to be very rigid and set by the manufacturer. When Benchmade first implemented MAP you could call a vendor and ask for a lower price. I did this with Knifeworks because it said on their site to do so. Then Benchmade put the kibosh to that and told vendors to stick to MAP or else. That is price fixing in my eyes which I believe is technically illegal but apparently not enforced. I have not seen one Spyderco vendor off a lower price if you call them. I have only seen knives below MAP on Amazon or when on clearance.

You can call it MAP but that doesn't make it MAP. “You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits." Prices are fixed and steadily climbing.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
carrot

Post by carrot »

Dealers gotta eat. In the end it will probably mean I can afford to buy fewer Spydies. On the other hand a more comfortable margin means dealers will continue to stay in business.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

This will save me money. Not many planned for 2018 and now it will be less.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am still sour about MAP being implemented in the first place and now this? I might be sticking to factory seconds and discontinued models soon.
I hate to say it, but I'm starting to feel the same way.

I'd still like to wait and see what prices are like after they're increased and the new MAP is implemented but this is still disappointing, none the less.
-Nick :bug-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Can’t fault people trying to make a living.
It’s more perception to me. I find it hard to spend over $200 for a knife. This will likely put a few out of my range. I am patient and can wait until a sale comes up or something is discontinued. But I’m sure I will buy several each year.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

welp, if that's the case, I guess that's the case. However, given that a lot of the 'pricier' models got discontinued this year, I'm not sure if I see the justification for both. I'm not privy to Spyderco's finances, so I can't say.

I'll still be buying.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bearfacedkiller wrote:What I have seen in the past two years since MAP was implemented (with the exception of Amazon who is above the law) is basically price fixing. The pricing appears to be very rigid and set by the manufacturer. When Benchmade first implemented MAP you could call a vendor and ask for a lower price. I did this with Knifeworks because it said on their site to do so. Then Benchmade put the kibosh to that and told vendors to stick to MAP or else. That is price fixing in my eyes which I believe is technically illegal but apparently not enforced. I have not seen one Spyderco vendor off a lower price if you call them. I have only seen knives below MAP on Amazon or when on clearance.

You can call it MAP but that doesn't make it MAP. “You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits." Prices are fixed and steadily climbing.
I agree. I have not found a dealer that will give me more than a couple bucks off a Spyderco. I can still get a hefty 20% off ZT's MAP from multiple dealers.

Really hoping someone from Spyderco chimes in and lets us know that this is incorrect.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

So in another year or so, it might be cheaper to shop at the factory outlet store. Unless of course they also reduce their in store discount.
Last edited by jtoler_9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Might have to hold off on buying Spyderco for a while. Jeez.