MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by FCM415 »

ross8425 wrote:
FCM415 wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:Seeing so many people refusing to buy Spyderco‘s under the new MAP pricing has me excited - I’ll be able to buy some of the models that disappeared too quickly previously! I hope Sypderco bumps MAP another 5%!

David
Give it two years, if it becomes a trend (2016, 2018)

Or you don't have to wait, just get those hard to buy Spydercos at Bento Box Shop with year 2026 MAP like prices just for you ;)
Exactly. They have the CF 52100 PM2 for only $294. (Plus a cool $15 shipping AND 10% CA tax). Or you can get it from KC for $176. I would buy it from BBS just to pay more for the same knife.
Soon my friend, they will all be competing with BBS :D I hope not.

We'll have to fly to a BladeHQ in Texas or a mom in pop in Louisiana somewhere to hopefully find a salesman in a good mood.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Canazes9 wrote:
I’ve been eye balling the hap40 Enduras HARD at Bento Box Shop! Only thing stopping me is this upcoming V-Toku2 Sprint run.,.

David
I have the whole HAP40 set. I suppose it's not the end of the world if I couldn't afford it because they were priced like car payments each.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Lot of the comments on this thread are about MAP. I was just trying to determine if most have an issue with MAP as the cause of price increase, or price increase period. Increase is an increase, I know.

Where the perception comes in. I can see how some may not like that the dealers are looking to make more $$. I'd rather see the manufacturer trying to increase their profits than some middleman - no disrespect for knife dealers who, in my mind, do provide a service.

I am speculating here as I know nothing of Spyderco's business model, but Spyderco needs the dealer network. Having some experience in manufacturing, at some point a company needs to outsource the direct sales of a product. It is generally cheaper, allows for a wider reach, and lets the business focus on manufacturing. Regardless of how you feel about MAP (personally don't care for the concept), dealers are part of what allows Spyderco to do their magic.

Someone butchered this reply. That quote is not mine. Doesn't matter...
Holzfaeller wrote:
ross8425 wrote:
anycal wrote:the more they increase, the less I need
...and the more money I save. I should be grateful for MAP, that's why I quit spending so damned much on Benchmade knives. No hard feelings, it's just business.
Peter
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

My apologies, anycal. I didn't edit my reply correctly.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

FCM415 wrote:

We'll have to fly to a BladeHQ in Texas or a mom in pop in Louisiana somewhere to hopefully find a salesman in a good mood.
going to need that address on the BHQ store in Texas...Saturday is supposed to be nice weather lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
FCM415 wrote:

going to need that address on the BHQ store in Texas...Saturday is supposed to be nice weather lol
I would understand it more if there were BladeHQs and other REAL knife store (or gun stores with REAL knife inventory) in Northern California. There's like one or two in a geographic location half the size of Japan. This is not just limited to California but to a lot of customers around the country and the world. Why punish the sales route (online) that reaches the most customers? Is MAP gonna open up more knife stores? That would be a goal that makes sense at least. But its a pipe dream.

If we take MAP by definition: Minimum Advertised Price, the old work around dealers used such as "coupons, sales, make offer, and best of all see price in cart" would still be allowed.Why are brick and mortar dealers allowed to sell at any price?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

gunmike1 wrote:I only recently found out that former Military, not just active duty, can buy knives for 50% of MSRP directly from Spyderco. For me that is going to save me a good chunk of money for my purchases compared to the 65% MAP. Just a heads up in case former Military members weren’t aware of this.
That is awesome :spyder:
phaust

Post by phaust »

FCM415 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
FCM415 wrote:

I would understand it more if there were BladeHQs and other REAL knife store (or gun stores with REAL knife inventory) in Northern California. There's like one or two in a geographic location half the size of Japan. This is not just limited to California but to a lot of customers around the country and the world. Why punish the sales route (online) that reaches the most customers? Is MAP gonna open up more knife stores? That would be a goal that makes sense at least. But its a pipe dream.

If we take MAP by definition: Minimum Advertised Price, the old work around dealers used such as "coupons, sales, make offer, and best of all see price in cart" would still be allowed.Why are brick and mortar dealers allowed to sell at any price?
Where do you get that dealers aren't allowed to do those anymore?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

phaust wrote:
FCM415 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
FCM415 wrote:

Where do you get that dealers aren't allowed to do those anymore?
From first hand experience asking multiple dealers what they can and cant do after December 31st 2015 when MAP first kicked in.

From multiple forum members across several Spyderco boards finding out the same.

Please share with us your dealers that are willing to go below MAP via offers, coupons, sales etc.

If Knifeworks (for example) can do the "add to cart for price" strategy like they all used to, they would.
Officer2516

Post by Officer2516 »

I will buy spyderco delica 4
Salt 2 when I go to ocean and para 3 either blurple or s90v then I'm good for couple year ahead it's sad that such a great company will go down with sales for couple extra bucks on each knife
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I have heard from a smaller store that with the improved margins, they've begun to stock spydercos when they hadn't normally, so that's something positive.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:I have heard from a smaller store that with the improved margins, they've begun to stock spydercos when they hadn't normally, so that's something positive.
Of course they will, they can sell them for more money and still pay the same as they were paying to have them on the shelves. Isn't that what this whole thread has been about, or did I completely space out?

Earlier in this thread someone (a dealer) was saying they pay approx $100 for a PM2. Before 2018, he would make $25 (2017 pricing). Now he will make $37 (2018 pricing). Which, unless my math is wrong(it could be, I was pretty terrible at math), is 48% more money he would stand to make. So, sure, I bet a lot of dealers start carrying more Spyderco knives.
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

ross8425 wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:I have heard from a smaller store that with the improved margins, they've begun to stock spydercos when they hadn't normally, so that's something positive.
Of course they will, they can sell them for more money and still pay the same as they were paying to have them on the shelves. Isn't that what this whole thread has been about, or did I completely space out?

Earlier in this thread someone (a dealer) was saying they pay approx $100 for a PM2. Before 2018, he would make $25 (2017 pricing). Now he will make $37 (2018 pricing). Which, unless my math is wrong(it could be, I was pretty terrible at math), is 48% more money he would stand to make. So, sure, I bet a lot of dealers start carrying more Spyderco knives.
$37 profit isn’t a ton on a knife that costs you $100 when you are almost always eating shipping, paying staff and keeping the lights on.

I have no problem with this. If a Spyderco knife I want is now too expensive, I will buy something else. Most of them are still great values IMO.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was hoping this would be the case. The only local store that carried them here stopped carrying them last year. Maybe now with the new MAP pricing they will see that they can make a few more bucks and people won't be able to use them as a place to fondle knives before going online and buying it cheaper somewhere else.... and they will actually start carrying Spyderco's again.... So I can fondle them before I buy :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

SharpieB wrote:
ross8425 wrote:

$37 profit isn’t a ton on a knife that costs you $100 when you are almost always eating shipping, paying staff and keeping the lights on.

I have no problem with this. If a Spyderco knife I want is now too expensive, I will buy something else. Most of them are still great values IMO.
No, it is not a lot of profit. I was just responding to the message saying that he knows some dealers carrying more Spyderco.

He also said the $!00 was to buy a PM2. Is a PM2 the best seller Spyderco has? I would doubt it. He did not say what dealer cost is on something like a dragonfly or a delica. That could be more profit than a PM2. I was just basing it on what he said.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

FCM415 wrote:
gunmike1 wrote:I only recently found out that former Military, not just active duty, can buy knives for 50% of MSRP directly from Spyderco. For me that is going to save me a good chunk of money for my purchases compared to the 65% MAP. Just a heads up in case former Military members weren’t aware of this.
That is awesome :spyder:
+1
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My local B&M has an average selection of Spyderco's but he has mentioned them being hard to sell in the past due to cost so I'm worried it will be the opposite.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David