MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by Nate »

ross8425 wrote:I guess this means I will only look at Sprint runs. For example, the MSRP on the maxamet PM2 is $299.99 right now. With an increase, that puts it well into $300 on MSRP... I love the PM, but it's not a $300+ knife. Ridiculous MAP prices are why I stopped buying Benchmade knives.

Unfortunately what it comes down to is, the people saying anything are on forums, but I would be willing to bet a lot that forum users are a small percentage of the customers.

I wish I got an 8.3% cost of living raise every year :)
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The MAP change doesn't effect MSRP, and we don't know yet what items will be impacted by an MSRP adjustment. The change to a 35% MAP would increase the street price of the Maxamet PM2 by ~$15, from $179.97 to $194.99.
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Spyder-fan wrote:A lot of people outside of the knife forums and people who haven't seen National Knives facebook post, don't know about the increase yet. Knife buyers will notice a 8.3% increase. That's almost 3 times inflation. Cost of materials and labor have not gone up that high in a couple of years.
CPI numbers are farcical. How much have food, energy, housing, and healthcare prices increased in the last few years?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyder-fan wrote:A lot of people outside of the knife forums and people who haven't seen National Knives facebook post, don't know about the increase yet. Knife buyers will notice a 8.3% increase. That's almost 3 times inflation. Cost of materials and labor have not gone up that high in a couple of years.
The point you are missing is that the MAP increase does not put one cent in Spyderco's pocket. That extra 8.3% goes into the dealer's pocket, or at least it will if Spyderco can enforce the new MAP so that places like Amazon and Walmart do not circumvent it. I suspect this is being done at the request of dealers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Nate wrote:
ross8425 wrote:I guess this means I will only look at Sprint runs. For example, the MSRP on the maxamet PM2 is $299.99 right now. With an increase, that puts it well into $300 on MSRP... I love the PM, but it's not a $300+ knife. Ridiculous MAP prices are why I stopped buying Benchmade knives.

Unfortunately what it comes down to is, the people saying anything are on forums, but I would be willing to bet a lot that forum users are a small percentage of the customers.

I wish I got an 8.3% cost of living raise every year :)
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The MAP change doesn't effect MSRP, and we don't know yet what items will be impacted by an MSRP adjustment. The change to a 35% MAP would increase the street price of the Maxamet PM2 by ~$15, from $179.97 to $194.99.
Perhaps I misread Kristi's post that says : In many cases, we chose to absorb much of the increases that we received. There were a few increases, however, that we couldn't absorb.

To me, that translates to MSRP. Maybe I am wrong.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

The Deacon wrote:
The point you are missing is that the MAP increase does not put one cent in Spyderco's pocket. That extra 8.3% goes into the dealer's pocket, or at least it will if Spyderco can enforce the new MAP so that places like Amazon and Walmart do not circumvent it. I suspect this is being done at the request of dealers.
But it takes 8.3% out of his pocket, correct? :)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Nate wrote:... farcical.
Made me laugh. Thanks!

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

All I know is that I have slowed way down on buying Spydercos since MAP went into effect because I can no longer get good deals that make them affordable. With the price increases (I understand that) and the MAP, it makes it hard for us average Joes. I did just buy 2 knives. I got in ahead of the change, I guess.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nate

Post by Nate »

ross8425 wrote:
Perhaps I misread Kristi's post that says : In many cases, we chose to absorb much of the increases that we received. There were a few increases, however, that we couldn't absorb.

To me, that translates to MSRP. Maybe I am wrong.
It does, but as I noted "we don't know yet what items will be impacted by an MSRP adjustment."

I also thought you may be conflating the two, MAP and MSRP, because no one is going to pay full MSRP for anything unless it's some weird personal choice or they're making a direct purchase from the SFO with a warranty credit (which are issued at MSRP).
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bh49 wrote: Actually going from 60% of MSRP to 65% of MSRP is 8.3% increase. Plus annual increase 3-4%? The company I am working for doesn't give it's employees even half of this.
All of this is up to Spyderco. I hope that they know, what are they doing. I do not need to buy any more knives. If I sell 80%, I will have plenty until end of my days.
Yep. Most small employers like mine could never afford to give regular yearly raises like this without also raising their prices thus driving business away. I guess pocket knives are like jewelry, non-essential luxury items. I haven't had a new car in 15 years and now it looks like I'm out of the Spyderco market as well. C'est la Vie
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I'm no fan of MAP pricing, but reading this thread I get the impression many people think the change to 35% will somehow increase Spyderco's profits. It will increase the dealers' profit margain -- any of whom can choose to offer an "unadvertised" discount.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ross8425 wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
But it takes 8.3% out of his pocket, correct? :)

No, it puts that money in the dealer's pocket. MAP controls how deeply a dealer can discount a product.

I have no idea what the actual wholesale prices for Spydercos are, but just as an example, assume dealer cost on a $100 knife is $45. If he sells that knife to you for current MAP, he's giving you a 40% discount, charging you $60, and making $15. If he sells it to you for the new MAP, he's giving you a 35% discount, charging you $65, and making $20.
Paul
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JRinFL wrote:
bh49 wrote: Actually going from 60% of MSRP to 65% of MSRP is 8.3% increase. Plus annual increase 3-4%? The company I am working for doesn't give it's employees even half of this.
All of this is up to Spyderco. I hope that they know, what are they doing. I do not need to buy any more knives. If I sell 80%, I will have plenty until end of my days.
Yep. Most small employers like mine could never afford to give regular yearly raises like this without also raising their prices thus driving business away. I guess pocket knives are like jewelry, non-essential luxury items. I haven't had a new car in 15 years and now it looks like I'm out of the Spyderco market as well. C'est la Vie
If the difference between paying $120 for a $200 knife and paying $130 for it is enough to drive you away, then yes, C'est la Vie. Hope for your sake gas prices don't jump 10% or more any time soon, or you may have to travel via shanks' mare.
Paul
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The change means higher price most people will end up paying. Whether it directly increases profits for Spyderco or dealers, we as buyer do not have enough information on what is the contract agreement between Spyderco and dealers.

It is a free market where buyer will decide based on their preferences, perceived value from all competing makers/brands. At the end of the day the market will find it’s dynamic balance.

Spyderco as company needs to thrive to continue what they have been doing. I believe they also would have factored in mass buyer vs aficionados, and done their homework in making the decision, what is the percentage of different types of buyers and how to achieve optimum outcomes (volume x price), that allows them to continue in the direction they are going.

Personally I like Spyderco and have more of their products than other production knife brand. When I make purchases, it’s always individually evaluated (including impulses and hype from forum), and whether I can afford it or not. Life needs & priorities change also with time.

One day perhaps a model from Spyderco at certain selling price is right. On different occasion, perhaps something else from others. It’s a dynamic interplay.

I appreciate that Sal and his core team post here and try to establish communication with end users. It doesn’t happen often in these days and this engagement add positive value in the purchase considerations, along with other factors.

In short, it’s what it is. ;)
Chris :spyder:
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

The Deacon wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
bh49 wrote:
If the difference between paying $120 for a $200 knife and paying $130 for it is enough to drive you away, then yes, C'est la Vie. Hope for your sake gas prices don't jump 10% or more any time soon, or you may have to travel via shanks' mare.
Nailed it. These knives are luxury items. NO ONE needs a $200 knife to go sit behind a computer all day and open mail. Even folks like Lance who are really putting their blades through a workout would most likely get along just fine with a $30 Kershaw Fillet knife. This is a hobby and we can't deny that.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

The Deacon wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
bh49 wrote: Hope for your sake gas prices don't jump 10% or more any time soon, or you may have to travel via shanks' mare.
:p :p

However gas is a bit less discretionary than knives. ;)
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Yikes. This is gonna be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people, a 5% across-the-board price increase on top of whatever product specific hikes. Particularly given that it'll hit the lower priced items too.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

NickShabazz wrote:Yikes. This is gonna be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people, a 5% across-the-board price increase on top of whatever product specific hikes. Particularly given that it'll hit the lower priced items too.
8.3%
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

The Deacon wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

I think there is another point missing in your argument. It’s not just about a $10.00 jump. It’s about the fact that the consumer price jumps at least this much every year for the past several years. Eventually the ceiling will be found and felt by Spyderco and their dealers. If you’re ok with a $150.00 delica in a few years, then super. But I suspect for some folks still working for a living, it will change the way they buy Spyderco knives. It already has for some of us.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Nate wrote: some weird personal choice
hahaha, that made me laugh. :D
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Whether or not the dealer sees the additional profit from the MAP increase depends on how much Spyderco charges them for the knives. MSRP or MAP are not necessarily related to wholesale price. Spyderco claiming to absorb the cost sounds like rubbish to me.