MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by MacLaren »

Your exactly right Paul.
Just wishing I would have bought sooner :)
Glad I already have a Vallotton.
They are now $220.97
(BHQ Website)
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

Strider wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:First off, I’m not looking to stir up any commotion. I’m just trying to understand if this is correct. I’m seeing this jump across multiple sites. By my calculations (and I’m bad at math so they could be wrong) it looks like the Shaman just jumped 21% up in price. From $149.97 to $181.97. The MSRP went from $259.95 to $279.95 as well.

Is this right? Again, not looking to cause problems, just looking for clarity. I thought the price difference was going to be 5%.

Note: it looks like BladeHQ updated their PE Shaman pricing, but not their SE. I’m sure the SE price will change, but this screen shot is a good reference to show the hike difference.

If you had tried to enter that item into your cart, the price there would have shown as 181. Not sure why the listing wasn't updated. it may have now. Fortunately, I found a site that hadn't updated their pricing yet and got it for 149. Was hoping to get it in a sprint run this year, but with the increase MSPR and decrease MAP, it will just be more than I want to spend.

Yeah I noticed this too. Some of the new for 2018 knives were already listed at %35 of MSRP. What REALLY disappoints me is that Spyderco snuck in some additional price hikes. Most significant to me is the shaman. I've spent nearly $1000 dollars on spydercos this season. I figured I'd wait for an interesting limited shaman run and eat the %5 but now it's %10 up and also there's the principle of it. I may still grab one pre price hike but this may be a bit of a line in the sand for me and spyderco.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Brendanenon wrote:
Yeah I noticed this too. Some of the new for 2018 knives were already listed at %35 of MSRP. What REALLY disappoints me is that Spyderco snuck in some additional price hikes. Most significant to me is the shaman. I've spent nearly $1000 dollars on spydercos this season. I figured I'd wait for an interesting limited shaman run and eat the %5 but now it's %10 up and also there's the principle of it. I may still grab one pre price hike but this may be a bit of a line in the sand for me and spyderco.

Just because you personally weren't aware of it doesn't mean Spyderco "snuck in additional price hikes." On like page 2 of this thread Kristi informed the entire internet that there would be MSRP increases to some models. No, she didn't list the exact models but nevertheless the "warning" was sounded for all to absorb and react to as they saw/see fit.

Further, what principle of the thing? Do car manufacturers run ad's advising the consuming public to be prepared for new-year model price increases? Does Frito-Lay tell you to be prepared for the reduction in chip volume in vending machine bags? Do we get notifications that banana prices are going up?

Perhaps the issue is that Spyderco has such an excellent reputation for custoemr interaction that it feels like there is a principle issue here but in reality there isn't. It's just business and as a consumer you are free to react to it as you see fit. Is the product worth the cost to you individually? That's it.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Hopsbreath wrote:As for the MAP change this thread is about and I still haven’t commented on...I’m more upset that Subway footlongs arent $5 anymore. Inflation happens; just wrapped the sale of my first house I bought in 2009 and made a tidy sum that will setup my son’s future (due February 4th) better than I could’ve hoped. It’s a price adjustment for a product I don’t need anymore of anyway and each additional knife is basically a frivolous one. Cash rules everything around me, CREAM, dollar/dollar bill y’all.
Subway brought back the $5 footlong for a limited time right now, so hopefully that will make you happy.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Not gonna lie. The Sage 5 going from $137 to $149 hurts
mattman

Post by mattman »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Brendanenon wrote:

Just because you personally weren't aware of it doesn't mean Spyderco "snuck in additional price hikes." On like page 2 of this thread Kristi informed the entire internet that there would be MSRP increases to some models. No, she didn't list the exact models but nevertheless the "warning" was sounded for all to absorb and react to as they saw/see fit.

Further, what principle of the thing? Do car manufacturers run ad's advising the consuming public to be prepared for new-year model price increases? Does Frito-Lay tell you to be prepared for the reduction in chip volume in vending machine bags? Do we get notifications that banana prices are going up?

Perhaps the issue is that Spyderco has such an excellent reputation for custoemr interaction that it feels like there is a principle issue here but in reality there isn't. It's just business and as a consumer you are free to react to it as you see fit. Is the product worth the cost to you individually? That's it.
Excellent post, sir.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MacLaren wrote:
The same here. I am wishing that I bought Shaman in 2017. Not going to happen in 2018, unless Spyderco will come out with sprint, which will blow my mind. As we discussed collecting is a luxury. I will buy what I can afford and what is worth for me. If I will loose my CF Fluted N5, I will buy replacement right away even it is more expensive than many other :( .
Of cause collecting was more fun, when it was more affordable.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

bh49 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Of cause collecting was more fun, when it was more affordable.
Yep.. Also.. Age changes perspective... :D John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

MSRP on the Shaman went up from $249.95 to $279.95 which is a 10.7% increase. Of course, the MAP discount off MSRP went from 40% to 35% (that by itself is an 8.33% increase in street price). The combination of the MSRP increase and change in MAP, has effectively increased the street price by $32.00 from $149.97 to $181.97 which is a 21.34% increase.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
attila

Post by attila »

MSRP on the Shaman went up from $249.95 to $279.95 which is a 10.7% increase. Of course, the MAP discount off MSRP went from 40% to 35% (that by itself is an 8.33% increase in street price). The combination of the MSRP increase and change in MAP, has effectively increased the street price from $149.97 to $181.97 which is a 21.34% increase.
:eek:

The Shaman seems like an awesome new platform, but I'm not really interested in the base model. I was hoping for exclusives to pique my interest, but this'll likely put the Shaman out of my justifiable reach, and that is a huge bummer. :(
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

attila wrote:
MSRP on the Shaman went up from $249.95 to $279.95 which is a 10.7% increase. Of course, the MAP discount off MSRP went from 40% to 35% (that by itself is an 8.33% increase in street price). The combination of the MSRP increase and change in MAP, has effectively increased the street price from $149.97 to $181.97 which is a 21.34% increase.

The Shaman seems like an awesome new platform, but I'm not really interested in the base model. I was hoping for exclusives to pique my interest, but this'll likely put the Shaman out of my justifiable reach, and that is a huge bummer. :(
At the new price I would still definitely say the Shaman is worth it. Don’t let yourself miss out.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
attila

Post by attila »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
attila wrote:

At the new price I would still definitely say the Shaman is worth it. Don’t let yourself miss out.
Thanks. I haven't completely dismissed it, but I may have to wait for sprints and get them directly from Spyderco, taking advantage of the veteran discount.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

By the way, not all dealers have updated their prices yet so you still have a chance to get a Shaman at the 2017 price if you hurry.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SG89

Post by SG89 »

if sprints and exclusives don't follow MAP i wonder what we will see in the future... dealers selling sprints cheaper than the production model or am I wishful thinking....seems like some sprints/exclusives in the past took forever to sell out bc they were priced too high or didn't seem like much of an upgrade compared to the production model...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:if sprints and exclusives don't follow MAP i wonder what we will see in the future... dealers selling sprints cheaper than the production model or am I wishful thinking....seems like some sprints/exclusives in the past took forever to sell out bc they were priced too high or didn't seem like much of an upgrade compared to the production model...
Yup. I've been wandering that myself.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Dealers have more leeway on pricing on their exclusives.

I just picked up another KnifeCenter Exclusive Native5 S90V/Green G-10 (linerless) for $139.95 whereas the standard Native5 S35VN/Black G-10 is now $146.22 at KnifeCenter (MAP change). So, you get better steel and lighter overall for $6.27 less!
jdw

Post by jdw »

MacLaren wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:if sprints and exclusives don't follow MAP i wonder what we will see in the future... dealers selling sprints cheaper than the production model or am I wishful thinking....seems like some sprints/exclusives in the past took forever to sell out bc they were priced too high or didn't seem like much of an upgrade compared to the production model...
Yup. I've been wandering that myself.
I wonder as well. My concern is that many dealers will take advantage of the changes and that we will see a marked up swing in price of Exclusives and Sprint Runs instead of the inverse. Dealer inflated inflation basically.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

RamZar wrote:Dealers have more leeway on pricing on their exclusives.

I just picked up another KnifeCenter Exclusive Native5 S90V/Green G-10 (linerless) for $139.95 whereas the standard Native5 S35VN/Black G-10 is now $146.22 at KnifeCenter (MAP change). So, you get better steel and lighter overall for $6.27 less!
I would guess it all depends on their own costs. They may get a better price on the exclusives so can sell them cheaper. Or maybe a particular vendor is willing to sell an exclusive at cost just for the "advertising" (word of mouth, additional buys, etc.) that such a product can bring.

I suspect sprints are the basically the same. Spyderco might incur additional costs for producing a sprint. Maybe their material cost is more because they are buying a small volume or maybe it greatly increases production time or ll manner of combinations that might increase production costs which will increase vendor costs and ultimately our cost.

I don't know of course, just seems to make sense.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

infinkc wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:As for the MAP change this thread is about and I still haven’t commented on...I’m more upset that Subway footlongs arent $5 anymore. Inflation happens; just wrapped the sale of my first house I bought in 2009 and made a tidy sum that will setup my son’s future (due February 4th) better than I could’ve hoped. It’s a price adjustment for a product I don’t need anymore of anyway and each additional knife is basically a frivolous one. Cash rules everything around me, CREAM, dollar/dollar bill y’all.
Subway brought back the $5 footlong for a limited time right now, so hopefully that will make you happy.
Nope, I’m still salty. It’s only $4.99 for select sandwiches and none of the ones I like made the list. Also in a bad mood due to my home sale not going through yesterday because of a quarter size hole in the siding. However, I did get to use my Military trimming the vinyl this morning. Like buttah
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RamZar wrote:Dealers have more leeway on pricing on their exclusives.

I hear that knife is a winner... I almost bought it but chose the fluted cf n5 instead
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb