MAP policy change? 35%

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: MAP policy change? 35%

Post by bh49 »

Peter1960 wrote:Roman, We Europeans pay a lot of money for our benefits, they are no gifts.
Of course. Cannot be gifts :(

Peter1960 wrote:Americans tend to not seeing both sides of the coins, when it comes to this. It's true, you get what you pay for. And with our hobby for Spydies we even send money to US for the benefit of US-people. ;)
Peter thank you. But we do the same. My son and my wife drink a lot of Red Bull :D
I wish I would have more opportunities to buy Austrian made goods.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Had no idea about the stuff with Amazon earlier in the year. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, as my first experiences with purchasing a spyderco involved getting burned multiple times on Amazon and then getting treated right by - surprise - my friendly neighborhood local knife shop.

I had to move, but I miss that place. I'd like to keep it around.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

curlyhairedboy wrote:Had no idea about the stuff with Amazon earlier in the year. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, as my first experiences with purchasing a spyderco involved getting burned multiple times on Amazon and then getting treated right by - surprise - my friendly neighborhood local knife shop.

I had to move, but I miss that place. I'd like to keep it around.
Perhaps Spyderco should consider an Amazon-only exclusive, like the Wal-mart Native, packaged with a decent catalogue, that can draw new customers into better offerings, from better dealers.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

ChrisinHove wrote:Perhaps Spyderco should consider an Amazon-only exclusive, like the Wal-mart Native, packaged with a decent catalogue, that can draw new customers into better offerings, from better dealers.
I'd like to see them dump Amazon altogether ...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

captnvegtble wrote:
sal wrote: But you won't see too many G-10 models coming from Seki in the future, at least in pocket knives. Most will go to FRN, for which they excel, like the new Police 4.

sal
Wait... what?!?
Sal, did you just say that there will be an FRN Police 4 in the future? Has that been talked about before and I somehow missed it?
Offtopic a minute: I remember reading Sal talk about G-10 Japanese models; they come out in G-10 to test the design and the interest, and then they go to FRN when they are sure they can justify making the molds (which is a good bit more capital investment). See the Stretch 2 for a recent example.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
vanka

Post by vanka »

Yes, here in EU we pay MSRP plus 5-15% on top of it. Point is with all that MAP policy going 5% up every year, the price of the MAP is going to be equal or very close to that of MSRP at some point in the future. And when it comes to that point MAP is around 10% lower than MSRP I would choose to pay the full price and order directly from Spyderco itself. When it comes to choose to support the dealer or manufacturer, i would choose the manufacturer. With all that increases in MAP the dealers are doomed anyway. That gives them few more good years and that's it. Unless we come slowly to the point where MAP is fixed slowly at 20% below MSRP and stays there for long years.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

gaj999 wrote:I'd like to see them dump Amazon altogether ...
I'm in the same boat, actually. I don't mind Amazon as a company, but my biggest objection to MAP is uneven enforcement, which negates the only consumer-facing benefit that MAP has (Supporting smaller dealers).

So if Spyderco's going to do MAP at all, let alone increase it, they need to make sure that companies like Amazon respect the MAP pricing, so that they're not just setting up the little guys to fail by setting a double-standard. And considering that fakes from Amazon due to bad sellers or stock co-mingling are not all that uncommon, turning off their tap seems like a win-win kind of thing. There's probably some aspect of this I don't understand, but I'd love to know more about Spyderco's position here.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

NickShabazz wrote:
gaj999 wrote:I'd like to see them dump Amazon altogether ...
I'm in the same boat, actually. I don't mind Amazon as a company, but my biggest objection to MAP is uneven enforcement, which negates the only consumer-facing benefit that MAP has (Supporting smaller dealers).

So if Spyderco's going to do MAP at all, let alone increase it, they need to make sure that companies like Amazon respect the MAP pricing, so that they're not just setting up the little guys to fail by setting a double-standard. And considering that fakes from Amazon due to bad sellers or stock co-mingling are not all that uncommon, turning off their tap seems like a win-win kind of thing. There's probably some aspect of this I don't understand, but I'd love to know more about Spyderco's position here.
Exactly! MAP gives Amazon the ability to undercut dealers even more.

Qball at $136.29 or 49.5% of msrp. Obviously the rules do not apply to Amazon. Again, the "golden rule" is "he who has all the gold makes the rules". If I was an honest dealer who gave to kniferights, supported the industry, made youtube videos, commmisioned exclusives and offered exceptional customer service this would rub me the wrong way. :confused:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072QC7M ... ref=plSrch

I realize that dumping them altogether doesn't help Spyderco either. I assume they move a lot of volume. I do genuinely want what is best for Spyderco so I am reluctant to suggest dumping Amazon but it seems like they should be expected to follow the rules.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

If Spyderco doesn’t sell to Amazon directly, some dealers are still selling there. If no one sells genuine Spyderco on Amazon, the fake ones are still there. I don’t know how it works :confused:

In my work, I found making a policy that cannot be enforced is usually bad idea. That’s the reason government has Law Enforcement.
Chris :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

anagarika wrote:I found making a policy that cannot be enforced is usually bad idea. That’s the reason government has Law Enforcement.
Agree about enforcing policies, but even government cannot enforce all their policies :(
Regarding Amazon, I do not care. I bought few knives there, but I will not be upset, if Amazon will stop selling spyderco. There are several really good dealers, where I can find everything, what I need. NGK is still the best. Thanks to them we got CF Fluted Native for $215 and not $250+. NGK rocks.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

sal

Post by sal »

We have a service that is constantly monitoring the market and keeping us informed daily of infringement. We have crew that is constantly communicating with any that don't comply. Even Amazon is getting better, but any way we do it, it's still "wack-a-mole".

sal
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

sal wrote:We have a service that is constantly monitoring the market and keeping us informed daily of infringement. We have crew that is constantly communicating with any that don't comply. Even Amazon is getting better, but any way we do it, it's still "wack-a-mole".

sal
Hi Sal, thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that it's not for lack of trying. I hope you're able to get a handle on it, somehow.
Last edited by NickShabazz on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

NickShabazz wrote:
sal wrote:We have a service that is constantly monitoring the market and keeping us informed daily of infringement. We have crew that is constantly communicating with any that don't comply. Even Amazon is getting better, but any way we do it, it's still "wack-a-mole".

sal
Hi Sal, thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that it's not for lack of trying. I hope you're able to get a handle on it, somehow.
Did you somehow assume it was for a lack of trying? Spyderco was just engaged in a significant lawsuit against Amazon.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Eli Chaps wrote:
NickShabazz wrote:

sal
Did you somehow assume it was for a lack of trying? Spyderco was just engaged in a significant lawsuit against Amazon.
As I recall, that lawsuit was about counterfeit knives, but given the sheer volume involved, I assumed Spyderco was still selling some legit knives to Amazon dealers.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Eli Chaps wrote: Spyderco was just engaged in a significant lawsuit against Amazon.
I can recall lawsuit against e-bay. Never heard about lawsuit against Amazon. Do you have any references?

Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

bh49 wrote:
Eli Chaps wrote: Spyderco was just engaged in a significant lawsuit against Amazon.
I can recall lawsuit against e-bay. Never heard about lawsuit against Amazon. Do you have any references?
Likely you are correct and I am mixing them together.

I was simply trying to highlight that Spyderco has a proven track record of taking on the big boys.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I believe Spyderco has an ongoing lawsuit against Kittery Trading Post owner Kevin Inc. for selling counterfeits and settled a lawsuit against eBay for selling counterfeits.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I just scored a brand new fluted CF Native 5 for $185 from a private seller thank God.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FCM415 wrote:I just scored a brand new fluted CF Native 5 for $185 from a private seller thank God.
Congrats,
I am officially jealous :)

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

FCM415 wrote:I just scored a brand new fluted CF Native 5 for $185 from a private seller thank God.
Brand spakning new? Congrats.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln