Chaparral Lightweight - thoughts and pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Uke

Chaparral Lightweight - thoughts and pics

Post by Uke »

Hello all,

I haven't done a review in quite some time, but I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the FRN Chaparral and now its here I thought I'd take the time to snap a few pics and share my thoughts. My two most loved and carried Spydercos are the Native 5 LW and the Dragonfly 2 LW, so an FRN Chaparral always seemed like the perfect knife to bridge that size gap (I like my choils and I like my backlocks). I'd heard lots of good things about the various incarnations of the Chap and have always been impressed by the quality of the Taichung Spydies so I had high expectations! Well here's what I've found so far...

Specs from Spyderco:

length overall - 6.04" (163 mm)
blade length - 2.8" (71 mm)
blade thickness - 0.077" (1.96 mm)
cutting edge - 2.35" (60 mm)
length closed - 3.6" (91 mm)
blade steel - CTS-XHP
handle material - FRN
weight - 2 oz (57 g)

My first impression was it's a nimble little thing, and pretty darn smart looking.

The quality is exactly what I've come to expect from a Taichung made Spydie - perfectly centred blade, zero play. I really like this new texture on the FRN. The channels in the FRN are shallower than that of the pattern on the Native of Dragonfly, yet actually feel a little more aggressive to me. Maybe aggressive is the wrong word...abrasive maybe? It feels similar to a slab of G10 in a way - that 'rough' almost powdery G10 feel. In fact that along with the full metal backspacer, with my eyes closed I could mistake this for a G10 handled knife - the blade has that dull 'thuck' as it snaps back into the handle, as opposed to the sharp hollow 'snick' of the other FRN lightweights. I suppose what I'm saying is I was surprised at how substantial this lightweight feels in the hand. I love my lightweights but I do admit they feel a little less 'classy' than the CF or G10 models, however not so with the Chaparral Lightweight. Not at all what I was expecting.

Here is that full metal backspacer...

The FRN of the Chap...

Versus the FRN of the Native...

You can see how relatively shallow the channels are on the Chaparral here at this angle...

...compared to the deeper pattern on the Native...

Here are some comparison shots of the Chap between the Native 5 and the Dragonfly 2...

As you can see this thing is wafer thin. Here it is for an up-close comparison with the substantially chunkier Native 5...

And it even comes in a shade thinner than the Dragonfly...

I know a few early opinions gave this lightweight a bit of flak for having steel liners, and unfortunately I don't have any of the other versions of the Chaparral to do a comparison with but here's mine on the scales with the Native and Dragonfly for anyone interested. The Specs have the Chap at 57g but mine read 59.12g...

The handle is so thin that I couldn't get in there for a decent macro shot of the liners, but they only extend about half way down the scales from the lockbar and spacer. How light this feels in the hand compared to the other Chaparrals I don't know, but I can say if I hadn't weighed it myself, I'd have sworn blind that the Chap LW was heavier than my Native 5 LW! Maybe because its smaller and the weight more 'concentrated'. I didn't buy this for the weight though, I bought it primarily for the size, backlock, FRN and choil.

What about the sharp and pointed bit? Well I don't have much experience with CTS-XHP and this is a new knife so time will tell on that front. From what I understand it's somewhere in the region of S30V and if so I'm happy with that. The factory edge came laser sharp and is still going strong after a few days of use so I haven't sharpened or reprofiled the edge yet, so nothing to report on that front.

Crazy thin, this blade slices beautifully. Here next to the Native...

And again, thinner than the little Dragonfly...

I haven't bought a Taichung Spydie in a few years but they're still using that weird etching technique for the blade markings that catches polishing cloth fluff and looks generally unfinished to my eye compared to the other factories, but hey ho! I do my best to find something to moan about ;)

The handle looks just like a shrunk-down Native 5, but that very slight Caly-esque ramp at the thumb makes a big difference in the grip. Not as fun to choke up on as the Native, but the Chap locks in more solidly to the hand with that thumb placed on the ramp jimping. Here's an in hand comparison (I take a 'Medium' in Mechanix gloves)...

In terms of the blade, not a million miles away from the Native in terms of functionality. You don't sacrifice all that much. They do feel very different in the hand though. The Native feels like a chunky beast after you've carried this little whisper of a knife all day. After being in and out of the pocket a few times my fingers did miss that lovely soft lock bar on the Native. The Chaparral really does dig into you when closing one handed as you press down on that narrow little lock release.

The lock-up is rock solid though with absolutely no play. I've never had a backlock as good as the Native 5 but this certainly feels its equal as long as it doesn't develop any play later down the line. Opening on the Chaparral is silky smooth and probably the nicest feeling action of any Spydie I've had.

I'm a big fan of the wire clip. My first ever Spydie was the UKPK and I've loved how discreet the wire clip is in the pocket ever since. The hourglass clip on the Native is sturdy and handsome with that little bug logo, but it just can't compete with the wire for keeping that knife riding low in the pocket.

Chaparral in the pocket...

Native 5 in the pocket...

Well, I think that's about all I have this early into owning it. I hope there's something in here for anyone currently thinking about picking one of these up. But I can safely say at 80 bucks this is probably the best I've felt about value for money out of a Spyderco knife. Whether or not it will be a light enough 'lightweight' for you with those liners and full back spacer adding to the weight I don't know, but this knife is undoubtably a quality little folder. If the Chaparral Lightweight has more blade steels and handle colors in it's future I'm going to be severely struggling with temptation! Here are a few more pics to end on...

Hopefully someone found that useful anyway,

Cheers for now!

Uke
hooahmonster

Re: Chaparral Lightweight - thoughts and pics

Post by hooahmonster »

Wow, excellent review.

I wanted one, but now i really want one!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

great review thank you!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
sal

Post by sal »

Very nice. Thanx much.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Quite a write up!! Well done Uke!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That was a superb review and pictures.
- best wishes, Jazz.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Awesome review! Please do more :)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Amazing pictures. The knife looks better than I anticipated. Thanks so much.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

This is what I want all reviews to be like, even though I know most people won’t have the time to put in this level of effort. Great job, Uke!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Great review, very well done! The write ups are well written, clear, concise, and very informative. The pictures are sharp and descriptive in their own right! They really help to get a good idea of size and are great reference pictures! Thanks, Uke! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Incredible review. Incredible knife. I’m gonna get one as try it out.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
foofie

Post by foofie »

Thanks - very nicely done. The relief pictures of the texturing add quite a bit.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Actually seeing one in the wild makes a big difference. At first I was a bit underwhelmed with the texture on the grip from the photos at the knife shops. But seeing one in the wild I see that it is really a great looking knife. I love the color, too. It looks spot on to my hopes. I cannot wait for mine to get here, now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Hi Uke,

Thank you very much for your detailed review with all the excellent pictures! A lot of good work in it!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Nicely done ! Hey Uke, do you have an Urban ? I'd like to see a comparison between this one and the grey k390 Urban :spyder: When I choke on the Chaparral my thumb doesn't feel as confortable and secure as on the higher thumb ramp of the Urban. Also, being so thin, the Chapie has the tendency to rotate when I use a gorilla grip for harder work.Other than that, it's a nice little folder and I suspect the frn variant will be most popular. Mine is on the way ! Can't wait :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thanks for the excellent review Uke... I was not excited at first, but now I want one...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Nice review and pictures. I think you comparison to the native pretty much sum up why I prefer the chap in every way over the native (ymmv).
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Excellent reviews. This FRN Chaparral has been my most anticipated knife. Mine arrived a few days ago and did not dissappoint.

My only thing I would have liked to see is the FRN scales milled, so the screws would have been countersunk into them, so they we're resting above the scales.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Thanks for the excellent review and superb photos.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Thanks for your outstanding review Uke, I can't wait to get mine in hand.

I noticed that you like the solid lock-up on your Native 5 LW (so do I!). If you ever get the urge for a larger backlock Spydie, try out the Manix 2 Backlock. Carries it to a whole nother level.