Future plans for the UKPK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Future plans for the UKPK?

Post by foofie »

Just wondering if anything has been mentioned regarding future plans for the UKPK?

Specifically - resurrecting older blade shapes? Drop point? Add a wharncliffe?
Or new steels? Serrated H1? maxamet? cruwear?

I doubt it is a huge volume seller, so have adjusted my expectations accordingly. I am expecially thankful that it was made in s110v though.
sal

Re: Future plans for the UKPK?

Post by sal »

Hi Foofie,

We're working on a Salt version. Heat treating the spring is challenging. What is it you (or others) would like to see?

sal
Comedie

Post by Comedie »

sal wrote:Hi Foofie,

We're working on a Salt version. Heat treating the spring is challenging. What is it you (or others) would like to see?

sal
Great. Asked for something like that some months ago. H1 and non-locking for a carefree travel knife.
If looking at same blade profiles offered before in UKPK, I must say I like the drop point better than the leaf shape
foofie

Post by foofie »

Thanks for the quick response Sal.
A serrated H1 would be top of the list for me. Or Lc200N in plain edge. Happy to hear this may be coming soon.
Maxamet and Cruwear would be great too. The scales are perfect as is (other than changing colors with steels).

I always thought that the ukpk would be an easy platform for sprints - but with every different blade steel you may need a different spring to match the properties. I guess nothing is easy - but definitely worth it.
sal

Post by sal »

I would personally like a drop point in 52100.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sal that is great news that the UKPK Salt could happen. Thank you!

In terms of other designs/features for the UKPK, I think a wharncliffe blade shape would prove useful. Seems like the Jazz Delica has been well received. Maybe the UK folks could use a hard working blade without a lock too. Historically I think I remember that the wharncliffe Urban didn’t sell as well as its lead shape counterpart. So maybe the idea isn’t a smart business move. I’m not sure.

With the UKPK being offered in BD1, S110V and maybe someday H1 or LC200N, I think that covers off a bunch of steel types. The only one that’s missing would be a tool steel. An M4 sprint or a Maxamet versiould would be great.

With all that said, I’m still hoping a G10 version will be released some day. We have the linerless G10 Manix 2 and more recently the linerless G10 Native 5, perhaps the UKPK could get the same treatment again?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:I would personally like a drop point in 52100.

sal
With peel ply carbon fiber? Hey, a guy can dream! :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

The UKPK is my absolute favorite EDC knife lately; super light, no liners/minimal hardware, nice thin pointy blade, wire clip that makes the knife completely disappear in pocket, amazing ergos, etc.

I don't live in a country with strict knives laws, but I really don't feel I need a lock in smaller EDC knives. I'd actually take the UKPK over the Caly 3 any time just for the sake of reduced complexity and the "people-friendly" nature of slipjoints. Lockup is really tight on the newer models, and Golden quality is ahead of Moki, IME.

All this to say I'd probably buy any new version Spyderco decides to produce.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

sal
With peel ply carbon fiber? Hey, a guy can dream! :D
I'd settle for foliage green G10 :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would love to see linerless G10 and LC200N!

I like 52100 in the Military, but I usually carry the UKPK in waistband to hide it away, so good corrosion resistance is high on my list. I recently bought the S110V UKPK over the K390 Urban for that reason.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
cELLiBAIt

Post by cELLiBAIt »

Comedie wrote:
sal wrote:Hi Foofie,

sal
Great. Asked for something like that some months ago. H1 and non-locking for a carefree travel knife.
If looking at same blade profiles offered before in UKPK, I must say I like the drop point better than the leaf shape
Wow, a SE H1 UKPK will be perfect! Not sure it will stop me buying a Dragonfly 2 Salt in today's cyber sale, though...

Could use a catalyst be used in heat treating H1 or fold it to accelerate the work hardening?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sal
**** yes! Wouldn't mind a droppoint in cruwear either.. :D
(hoping for all in FRN or maybe a run in FRN as well as something fancier to keep them a good option for affordable users)
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

I have been using my original orange se s30v ukpk since release. Still going strong. And also have the spy-dk.

I would like to see a micarta version with liners, but i dont think that would be a very popular.
Or the frn to have the the nice volcano grip found on other frn models such as the dragonfly and delica.
And of course droppoint blades are always a winner in my book.

Thanks
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet please!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:Maxamet please!
^ This! I'd like to try Maxamet and the UKPK would be a relatively inexpensive way for me to do so.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Yeah, Maxamet in a drop point with forest green frn would be the cat's meow
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

CPM Cruwear, CPM M4, and K390 would be great (or other tool steels). I would buy any of those in a foliage green FRN handle.

I feel like this model is a great platform for more steel choices so I'm looking forward to future variations.
Last edited by m6steen on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal
You are the boss, do it and I'll buy it ... :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm really excited by the prospect of a salt version for summer IWB carry, (at the pool, at the beach, running, etc...) sorry to hear there's been some difficulty with getting the spring ht right.

While I've come to favor stainless on the lightweights since I moved to IWB carry most of the time with them, I'd still be interested in 52100 or virtually anything else Spyderco decides to make.
:spyder:
timlara

Post by timlara »

PaleMoon wrote:The UKPK is my absolute favorite EDC knife lately; super light, no liners/minimal hardware, nice thin pointy blade, wire clip that makes the knife completely disappear in pocket, amazing ergos, etc.

I don't live in a country with strict knives laws, but I really don't feel I need a lock in smaller EDC knives. I'd actually take the UKPK over the Caly 3 any time just for the sake of reduced complexity and the "people-friendly" nature of slipjoints. Lockup is really tight on the newer models, and Golden quality is ahead of Moki, IME.

All this to say I'd probably buy any new version Spyderco decides to produce.
+1 here. The 110V LW UKPK in particular has turned out to be my unexpected grail. With the strong spring and choil, I don't miss having a lock at all. It is just so enjoyable to use. The genius is in its simplicity.
Tim