EDC: Rotation VS Carrying the same knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

EDC: Rotation VS Carrying the same knife

Post by vivi »

For the past year I've been rotating knives. My EDC rotation consisted of a few Pacific Salts, Police 3, Military, Manix XL, Swick 3, Ark, Ronin 2, and a Szabo folder once in a while.

Prior to that I was carrying the same knife every day.

Past few weeks I've gone back to doing the same thing.

Both times I settled on the Pacific Salt. PE the first time, SE this time.

Carrying different knives was fun, allowing me to experience a variety. A lot of those knives do certain things very well, like the Millie being great for extended cutting due to the excellent ergonomics, and the Ronin 2 is dead simple to sharpen, which is nice.

But for a true daily user, I can't find a knife that beats my Pacific Salts as the most well rounded package.

What do you find yourself doing? Rotating knives in and out, or relying on a tried and tested model you've owned for years?
:unicorn
Evil D

Re: EDC: Rotation VS Carrying the same knife

Post by Evil D »

I have some kind of real issue with feeling attached to certain knives and then feeling this sort of unequipped feeling when I carry something else. It's hard to describe. Oddly enough I'm constantly itching for something new. I was just in the shop today and handled a few new models and a PE Atlantic, it was hard to leave empty handed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I usually rotate through several different knives, and it is sometimes difficult making that decision in the morning. It is nice to be able to pick a carry knife based on what you're doing that day, and most days there'll be one for work and one after etc. I've thought about picking just one to carry for a week or a month, but it's so hard to choose just one. Plus the collection seems to always be changing.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like variety so I rarely carry the same knife two days in a row.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

95% Delica
4% Native
1% Dragonfly

I have several Delicas so I also rotate between them.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Usually Native or Sage. The new Dice has made it into the rotation. :)
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

My work knife is fairly consistent. My "going out" knife could range from a UKPK to a Military, just however I feel at the time.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

For pocket carry, I usually carry 2 or 3 knives at once. Usually there is something new-ish in there, as well as at least one "favorite" tried and true design.

The Manbug H1 SE Salt is pretty much always in my pocket these days. :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I always carry 3, 2 of which are almost always the same, SB Manbug in shirt pocket and a Military rear pocket. Then I mix it up in RFP with a gambit of :spyder:'s and other brands.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have 10 that I choose from for week-day EDC. I typically carry 2 per week so it takes me 5 weeks to work completely through the rotation. I have 4 that I choose from for weekend carry. Years from now I might have it worked down to a smaller group for EDC but right now I have too many different ones to choose from and I can't give up any of them.
sal

Post by sal »

There are some nice "perks" in rotation. You get to experience the spirit of the design that the designer has built into the 3 D version of his mental idea. From "muscle twitches" and "gland secretions" to a physical "thing" that you can use, test, experience and appreciate.

Part of my job is constantly testing prototypes, samples and first production pieces so I have a different knife (or 2 or 3) every day. (I know it's a rough job, but somebody has to do it :p ).

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the idea of being loyal to my favorite model(s) however Spyderco makes so many great blades in so many terrific steels. These two factors injected into a complex matrix of colors and handle materials and I have enough choices to keep me going for months without duplication. I admit I enjoyed carrying my most recent purchase (Police 4) consistently for over a month, however I missed my Military and Manix models so It had to take a back seat again. My Spydiechef arrived today so I do expect this model to keep its place in my pocket for at least a solid 30 days to really give it a true workout and see how it will measure up.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:There are some nice "perks" in rotation. You get to experience the spirit of the design that the designer has built into the 3 D version of his mental idea. From "muscle twitches" and "gland secretions" to a physical "thing" that you can use, test, experience and appreciate.

Part of my job is constantly testing prototypes, samples and first production pieces so I have a different knife (or 2 or 3) every day. (I know it's a rough job, but somebody has to do it :p ).

sal

I love it. One of my favorite posts, Sal :)

If I may ask, do you sometimes carry vintage Spyderco knives you and others designed years back, like say from the 1990s, or, do you prefer to keep those stored away? I carried my new Stretch 2 the other day and it was perfect.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

It usually comes down to what pants I'm wearing. Some don't do well with certain clips. I also notice the muscle memory issues taking a bit of time to get used to. I rotate about every 3 days.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

I carry older models when we're planning a sprint.

sal
Ric

Post by Ric »

I am rather new to the game.
Different PM3s, Dragonfly Salt if i want lightweight. And new arrivals as Sliverax and hopefully Lil Native CL soon.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I'm new to the forum BTW.
I'm ex Air Force and ex Security so I've "been around". Just saying, not bragging.
If I was going to whip my (Spydie)knife out in a big hurry, I would wish to be very familiar with it.
So changing knife styles, brands and positions etc may not be a good idea !?
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

I have about 15 folders that I switch between, but mostly in this breakdown:

Most often carried: Manix2, PM2, Para 3, Endura, Delica, Byrd Meadowlark 2 in my backpack always, Dragonfly HB H1 on keychain

Sometimes carried: Kizer Sheepdog, Tenacious, CF Chaparral, Yo2, Pacific Salt SE

Rarely carried: Autonomy, SOG Trident

Never carried: Assist

But we’ll see how everything shakes out when my Military M4 comes in this week!!!
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I usually just carry one Spydie at a time for a day or two until I feel like carrying something else. I often carry a different knife while relaxing at home in the evenings than during the day.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MatZio

Post by MatZio »

I'm currently wearing Spy Urban. Great little knife. I plan to take Mili or PM soon as your third Spy knife.

Otherwise, I wear several different brand knifes with me, but as I always wear a backpack like my EDC, I always have more knives in it. Such as SAK and CS. But there's only one knife in my pocket, and I use it on a daily basis for various tasks.

I prefer smaller knives, but now I'm planning to take the Military.
:)
Dinamo Zagreb. Leaving or dead, always ahead...
Matija