The Military is greater than all other folders because...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: The Military is greater than all other folders because...

Post by xceptnl »

Perhaps a little late in the conversation, but this is my one handed lockback closure method. I am comfortable doing it from muscle memory alone after years of carrying Native, Caly, Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Police, Etc.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p04rqn0eyL1rsbayb_720.mp4
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Got my KW CF/Ti Military today. Whoa!!!!!!! This thing is bad to the bone!
Josh
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

...it (my first-ever Millie) makes my PM2 feel like a Para3, so I don't actually need to buy the latter. :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the Military. :D I have got the standard Ti Military in my pocket today. :spyder:

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

murphjd25 wrote:Got my KW CF/Ti Military today. Whoa!!!!!!! This thing is bad to the bone!
murphjd25 wrote: I hear ya man! I promised my wife no more for a while after this Military. If I got one more I’d probably be living in tent city downtown hahaha. Let me know what you think of the CF/TI Millie, I got mine last night and I can’t stop drooling. Back to work, one more call in Sammamish and it’s the weekend!
Got my KW CF/Ti S90V Military on Friday and exclusively carried it all weekend. This is my most expensive Spydie, and it easily is worth it (I did sell another non-Spydie to help offset the cost somewhat). I enjoy the feeling of the more stout lockbar and very slight weight increase over the G10 variants. I was most surprised by how smoothly the Ti scale slides into the pocket. I wasn't expecting that, and really enjoy that aspect. My sample has perfect centering and no binding. It seems the lockbar did not need to break in as others have reported. I did ask KW to check for centering and no binding (this was an issue on my green KC 204P version) - and it is perfect in both regards. The blade has a perfect grind and a very nice edge. Not quite as sharp as my Southfork, but still pretty darn sharp. I was reminded again why the Military is my favorite model (hence responding to this thread instead of the 'Deals' thread).

Bottom line: I love it, and this might have pushed my 204P model to 2nd favorite :eek:.

Josh - I didn't realize that you were in the PNW! Good to know a relative local. Are you aware of any dealers in the area?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:Got my KW CF/Ti Military today. Whoa!!!!!!! This thing is bad to the bone!
murphjd25 wrote: I hear ya man! I promised my wife no more for a while after this Military. If I got one more I’d probably be living in tent city downtown hahaha. Let me know what you think of the CF/TI Millie, I got mine last night and I can’t stop drooling. Back to work, one more call in Sammamish and it’s the weekend!
Got my KW CF/Ti S90V Military on Friday and exclusively carried it all weekend. This is my most expensive Spydie, and it easily is worth it (I did sell another non-Spydie to help offset the cost somewhat). I enjoy the feeling of the more stout lockbar and very slight weight increase over the G10 variants. I was most surprised by how smoothly the Ti scale slides into the pocket. I wasn't expecting that, and really enjoy that aspect. My sample has perfect centering and no binding. It seems the lockbar did not need to break in as others have reported. I did ask KW to check for centering and no binding (this was an issue on my green KC 204P version) - and it is perfect in both regards. The blade has a perfect grind and a very nice edge. Not quite as sharp as my Southfork, but still pretty darn sharp. I was reminded again why the Military is my favorite model (hence responding to this thread instead of the 'Deals' thread).

Bottom line: I love it, and this might have pushed my 204P model to 2nd favorite :eek:.

Josh - I didn't realize that you were in the PNW! Good to know a relative local. Are you aware of any dealers in the area?
Good to hear! Mine hasn’t left my pocket since it arrived, carried it all weekend as well. I sold off my Cruwear Military to help fund this one, and I’m actually glad I did. This is by far the superior Military. I will still enjoy my Para 3 in Cruwear. Mine was perfect in every way too. This is the second nicest Spyderco I have next to the Slysz Bowie, it is that good!

As far as local shops, I have not had any luck. There’s a high end shop in Kirkland but I haven’t seen any Spydies in there yet. Im kind of hoping with this new MAP thing, maybe more local shops will be enticed to stock Spyderco, everywhere I go I only see Benchmade.
Josh
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

murphjd25 wrote:
Good to hear! Mine hasn’t left my pocket since it arrived, carried it all weekend as well. I sold off my Cruwear Military to help fund this one, and I’m actually glad I did. This is by far the superior Military. I will still enjoy my Para 3 in Cruwear. Mine was perfect in every way too. This is the second nicest Spyderco I have next to the Slysz Bowie, it is that good!

As far as local shops, I have not had any luck. There’s a high end shop in Kirkland but I haven’t seen any Spydies in there yet. Im kind of hoping with this new MAP thing, maybe more local shops will be enticed to stock Spyderco, everywhere I go I only see Benchmade.
The only place I've seen Spydies in person locally is the House of Cutlery at Alderwood Mall. But I see that they closed over a year ago. Lol. Show's how impressed I was with them... (Limited selection, and MSRP pricing, if I recall correctly...) I am aware of the Kirkland store, but have never been there.

I agree that this one compares very favorably to the Slysz Bowie. However, the Military definitely fits my preferences better, mainly in terms of size, shape, and weight.
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

You guys are killing me describing the KW exclusive! I passed on the sale because I don't care for S90V, realizing I may regret it some day. I've been holding out hope that the same configuration will be released with a different steel, which is probably a long shot...
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Midnightrider wrote: .... This knife is perfect!
Which Millie is your favorite?
Blade and overall size!

While I love the newer CQI versions, I am still and a huge fan and user of the 1st gens as well. Built to last, and still prefer the aggressive Jimping used in the early designs.

Some old ATS34 and 440 warriors including the Babe & Mickey :spyder:

Also, I would say so many options, blade steel and mod potential. Here is some recent s30, cruwear, 440V tweaking :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:One of many reasons is its simplicity of design. If you are in a pinch and need to clean it out the design lends itself to easy maintenance. It's offered in a variety of steels to suit most people's needs/preferences. The blade itself is extremely versatile. It is a large knife that can also do small, accurate cuts and whack the h*ll out of something if you need to. I am obviously a big fan.
My good friend "jdw" took a lot of the words right out of my mouth concerning the C-36 Military model. I've even had some of the earlier ones that I dearly adored and one of the old versions that stand out is the 440V, full Spyderedged model. It was truly like a salt water crocidile of a knife and I'm hoping at some point the C-36 Military will again be offered in full Spyderedge>> I would like to see a full SE version with XHP.

The ease of maintenance and the fact that you can get one in just about every supersteel you can want. My current main EDC is my M390 Military which has truly become a "friend" of mine>> few other knives I've put in the category and the C-60 Ayoob is one of the very I rank that high.

It's also a fabulous food knife if you don't have a culinary knife handy. It's almost as good as having a Mini Chef's Knife as your EDC. It would take one helluva folder at this point to de-throne my M390 Military as my main plain edged EDC.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dtoad wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Blade and overall size!

While I love the newer CQI versions, I am still and a huge fan and user of the 1st gens as well. Built to last, and still prefer the aggressive Jimping used in the early designs.

Some old ATS34 and 440 warriors including the Babe & Mickey :spyder:

Also, I would say so many options, blade steel and mod potential. Here is some recent s30, cruwear, 440V tweaking :)
As always, your photography is on point. I have a pair of those scales inbound and provided I like them, will be ordering more.

I think you and i may be some of the few that prefer the old jimping and i am OK with that. More for me to find on the used market. Do you have the BG-42 version?
*Landon*
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

xceptnl wrote:
dtoad wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
As always, your photography is on point. I have a pair of those scales inbound and provided I like them, will be ordering more.

I think you and i may be some of the few that prefer the old jimping and i am OK with that. More for me to find on the used market. Do you have the BG-42 version?
Landon thank you!. Lots of mixed feelings as you know about jimping. For me personally being a fan of larger blades I prefer the more aggressive grip including the choil of the 1st gen blade its self. That SE 440V as JD mentions above for the Military is flat out amazing IMO and I hope they do indeed bring back a SE for this model.

Yes on the BG42 as well, a couple of them.......
anycal

Post by anycal »

... because every time I read a thread about it, I feel the need to get another one.
Peter
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Impressive collection Dtoad! Can you post/PM the source of those scales?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Brock O Lee wrote:Impressive collection Dtoad! Can you post/PM the source of those scales?
Thanks man. Just sent you a pm.....
Skoalart

Post by Skoalart »

I am two days in to owning my first military and I have already purchased another. Of the almost 80 knives I own this one stands out in the crowd easily. The blade action, lock up, balance, weight, ergonomics, everything just screams premium. I even encountered a blade steel that is at the upper ends of my sharpening abilities with the equipment I have been using for years. This knife instantly became something I cherish.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Skoalart wrote:I am two days in to owning my first military and I have already purchased another. Of the almost 80 knives I own this one stands out in the crowd easily. The blade action, lock up, balance, weight, ergonomics, everything just screams premium. I even encountered a blade steel that is at the upper ends of my sharpening abilities with the equipment I have been using for years. This knife instantly became something I cherish.
Congratulations and welcome to the club. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th..... they will just keep coming so be careful ;)
*Landon*
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Down to one Military, the CF/Ti S90V KW exclusive, and it's a mighty fine specimen. One of my favorite spydies and with the S90V it's kinda like my folding Southfork.