The Military is greater than all other folders because...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wrathhog

Re: The Military is greater than all other folders because...

Post by Wrathhog »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:I use my Pacific Salt every day and it takes two hands to close it safely. I close my ukpk on my pants, don't try this at home boys and girls. I was disappointed my new P4 was not a one hander. I guess you guys are just more talented than me or don't mind losing a finger here and there :D
I don't understand why you can't close any of those knives easily one handed. I close my UKPK one handed and don't use my pants lol. For back locks, just put your index finger under the choil/ricasso area and using your thumb depress the lock and flick it out of the locked position. Your index finger will stop the knife from closing, even on knives without a choil.https://youtu.be/Usp0RX3LUYA
Not my video, just first one that came up on youtube.
This is NOT the best way to close a Spyderco back lock. The best way is to close it similar to a liner lock. Put your finger in the hole while pressing on the lock (the guy in the video pressed the lock wrongly, too). Then guide the blade partially closed, shift your fingers out of the way and either snap it closed with your thumb or finger, or put your thumb in the hole and guide it closed. This is very fast.
This is the best way for me. I've been closing knives this way long before there were knives with holes in the blade. ;)
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Ok guys, don't get distracted. This thread is about the greatness of the Millie
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

...because Spyderco makes a left hand version.

Back on track!
:spyder:
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

PayneTrain wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:... regardless of what they say, size does matter. ;)

Seriously though, I do believe in the idea that a large knife can do what a small knife can but a small knife cannot do what a large knife can.
I believe just the opposite. :)
I believe the opposite of your opposite! Darby said it all.
The only way to settle this is knife vs knife. To make it worthwhile, something has to be on the line, I suggest beer.
Sorry Midnightrider, but this is serious. :)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

They both fall short in eachother's respective territories
vivi

Post by vivi »

Midnightrider wrote:
Better but still seems like a good way to slice and dice the fingers. What I like about the Military is I can unlock it and when the blade falls from gravity, the choil hits my thumb safely and then I can close it. Just perfectly designed :D
https://streamable.com/irn21 - Wouldn't it be safer to not have any fingers in the path of the blade at all?
:unicorn
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

jpm2 wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:
jpm2 wrote:

Seriously though, I do believe in the idea that a large knife can do what a small knife can but a small knife cannot do what a large knife can.
I believe the opposite of your opposite! Darby said it all.
The only way to settle this is knife vs knife. To make it worthwhile, something has to be on the line, I suggest beer.
Sorry Midnightrider, but this is serious. :)
I have no idea what you're talking about and I suspect you are responding to something I didn't write, confused by the depth of the quoting... but seeing as I live in the land where beer was invented and is still considered a basic necessity and food item which is not taxed, I would say bring it on and let's settle it like men, over a keg :p
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:

Seriously though, I do believe in the idea that a large knife can do what a small knife can but a small knife cannot do what a large knife can. The Military is big without being too big and is a versatile size, especially with the choil. It is lightweight, extremely ergonomic, has a subtle but effective negative blade angle, has just enough belly without having too much, has a nice acute tip and is extremely easy to use with gloves on.

I now have seven different versions of the Military and carry it more than any other folder.
I'd like to discuss this further, because I don't see how small knives can do the same thing big knives do.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76643
Last edited by vivi on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'm willing to demonstrate all those tasks and more. But we're talking about the military here. To reduce all variables possible, we'll need an exact scaled down version (Sal?) with a 3 inch blade. I suggest cpm-m4 for the blade so we won't be stopping all the time to sharpen and repair damaged edges.
vivi

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:I'm willing to demonstrate all those tasks and more. But we're talking about the military here. To reduce all variables possible, we'll need an exact scaled down version (Sal?) with a 3 inch blade. I suggest cpm-m4 for the blade so we won't be stopping all the time to sharpen and repair damaged edges.
Para 3?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Sorry but para3 vs paramilitary2 would put you at too much of a disadvantage with just a 1/2" difference between them. I want to be fair, so It needs to be 3" vs 4", so a mini-mili is in order.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned many of the C-36 Military model over the years. The two I own at this time are my XHP and my hallowed, beloved M390 Military which has truly won my heart for being my primary EDC and it has been for a while now. I don't see it being de-throned unless they would do a Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob in a supersteel equivalent or better than M390.

The Military is just so good all around for an everyday user for so many reasons that I don't even have time to list. It's the ideal folder for them to introduce their newer/better blade steels. It has stood the test of time and really has few rivals even in Spyderco's great line up.

The C-36 Military is good for such a wide range of cutting jobs and is even a great food knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:The C-36 Military is good for such a wide range of cutting jobs and is even a great food knife.
The Military has always been my go to folder for food prep. It's got a very nice blade shape and grind for that role.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

jpm2 wrote: The only way to settle this is knife vs knife. To make it worthwhile, something has to be on the line, I suggest beer.
Are we talking Dune-style combat?! :eek: Well where there's beer at stake, I'm there! Especially when there's beer at steaks!

Or if we're just gonna talk about em safely with words, I'd like to hear how you cut a foot long Italian combo in half with a Dragonfly! Consider the gauntlet thrown down!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Really can't agree with that statement until there is a Military salt. ;)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

PayneTrain wrote:
jpm2 wrote: The only way to settle this is knife vs knife. To make it worthwhile, something has to be on the line, I suggest beer.
Are we talking Dune-style combat?! :eek: Well where there's beer at stake, I'm there! Especially when there's beer at steaks!

Or if we're just gonna talk about em safely with words, I'd like to hear how you cut a foot long Italian combo in half with a Dragonfly! Consider the gauntlet thrown down!
What's Dune style combat, Something in the desert or beach?
That Italian combo is small fry for a even a dragonfly, but that's not what we're talking about. You might as well concede and go ahead and buy the beer and steaks now. I'll have a dark stout with my medium rare fillet.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Well balanced for such a large knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Midnightrider wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:I don't own a Spyderco that I can't open or close with one hand.
Does that mean you only own Militaries? Because I can't close any other Spydie I have with one hand.... This knife is perfect!
Which ones do you own?

I'm hard put to think of one that can't be closed with one hand.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

If you don’t own one but you do own a watermelon you wouldn’t be able to eat it … the watermelon that is! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

jpm2 wrote: What's Dune style combat, Something in the desert or beach?
That Italian combo is small fry for a even a dragonfly, but that's not what we're talking about. You might as well concede and go ahead and buy the beer and steaks now. I'll have a dark stout with my medium rare fillet.
Dune is an old sci-fi movie where they do a lot of elaborate knife fighting.
https://youtu.be/jtCedI-q9vU
I'd be pretty annoyed trying to cut my italian combo with a Dragonfly! You'd have to make multiple passes and get it soaked in oil and vinegar well into the handle! I call that a fail. I prefer rib eye. ;)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."