The Military is greater than all other folders because...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: The Military is greater than all other folders because...

Post by jpm2 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:... regardless of what they say, size does matter. ;)

Seriously though, I do believe in the idea that a large knife can do what a small knife can but a small knife cannot do what a large knife can. The Military is big without being too big and is a versatile size, especially with the choil. It is lightweight, extremely ergonomic, has a subtle but effective negative blade angle, has just enough belly without having too much, has a nice acute tip and is extremely easy to use with gloves on.

I now have seven different versions of the Military and carry it more than any other folder.
I believe just the opposite. :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Midnightrider wrote:I can not only open it with one hand but also close it with one hand.
Is this a joke? Almost all Spyderco’s are designed for one handed operation. Do you need us to show you how to use these things?
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Wrathhog wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:I use my Pacific Salt every day and it takes two hands to close it safely. I close my ukpk on my pants, don't try this at home boys and girls. I was disappointed my new P4 was not a one hander. I guess you guys are just more talented than me or don't mind losing a finger here and there :D
I don't understand why you can't close any of those knives easily one handed. I close my UKPK one handed and don't use my pants lol. For back locks, just put your index finger under the choil/ricasso area and using your thumb depress the lock and flick it out of the locked position. Your index finger will stop the knife from closing, even on knives without a choil.https://youtu.be/Usp0RX3LUYA
Not my video, just first one that came up on youtube.
Ok, I don't like the idea of flicking anything but a Zippo. I didn't think about trying that. Obviously it works but not for me.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

zhyla wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:I can not only open it with one hand but also close it with one hand.
Is this a joke? Almost all Spyderco’s are designed for one handed operation. Do you need us to show you how to use these things?
Perhaps
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Midnightrider wrote: Ok, I don't like the idea of flicking anything but a Zippo. I didn't think about trying that. Obviously it works but not for me.
closing a backlock (flickless method)

note: slowed for demonstration purposes but i can do it 5x faster
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wrathhog wrote:I don't own a Spyderco that I can't open or close with one hand.
Two fast one handed lockback losing methods:

https://streamable.com/8yxc5

https://streamable.com/irn21
:unicorn
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

npad69 wrote:
Midnightrider wrote: Ok, I don't like the idea of flicking anything but a Zippo. I didn't think about trying that. Obviously it works but not for me.

Better but still seems like a good way to slice and dice the fingers. What I like about the Military is I can unlock it and when the blade falls from gravity, the choil hits my thumb safely and then I can close it. Just perfectly designed :D
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Vivi wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:I don't own a Spyderco that I can't open or close with one hand.
Two fast one handed lockback losing methods:

https://streamable.com/8yxc5

https://streamable.com/irn21
I concede it can be done, it just does not look safe to me. I'll try some of these ideas with my Pacific Salt and P4 and post back from the emergency room later :p
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

That "middle step" in closing back lock knives, when you have to reposition yor fingers away from the path of the blade is what makes it a bit dangerous IMHO. Back lock has tendency to self closing. Wich is nice, but when the edge, especially epyderedge hit your fingers, that's bad.
Military is excellent knife. I can safely open and close it many ways, one handed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The best part of a back lock IMO is that they usually have a choil or (less useful) kick that will close onto your index finger instead of the edge. With my Dragonfly I just press the lock and the blade falls onto my index finger and the choil always makes contact with my finger. This could be dangerous if you positioned your index finger way back under the lock, since that might allow the edge to hit your finger instead, but I don't know why you'd do that. I just move my grip back just behind the choil and press the lock, been doing that for so long it's second nature and I've never been cut. I do the same for my Kiwi 4 and Caly 3, and this was one of the details that really stuck out with my original Native which was the first Spyderco I ever bought. It just seemed like a lot of thought was put into it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I've been opening and closing a combo edged Delica one-handed for almost 20 years and I can count the number of times that I've cut myself opening or closing it on zero hands.

I'm not sure how crude your fine motor skills are, but I feel confident that most people can safely learn to do it in just a few repetitions. If you're super freaked out about cutting your fingers, you can always depress the backlock and fold the blade closed by pressing the back of the blade against your leg. That way your fingers are never in the blade path.

I mean, the mechanism on the Military does make it close nicely. No argument there. But I can't say that I have had major issues closing other Spideys.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

jpm2 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:... regardless of what they say, size does matter. ;)

Seriously though, I do believe in the idea that a large knife can do what a small knife can but a small knife cannot do what a large knife can. The Military is big without being too big and is a versatile size, especially with the choil. It is lightweight, extremely ergonomic, has a subtle but effective negative blade angle, has just enough belly without having too much, has a nice acute tip and is extremely easy to use with gloves on.

I now have seven different versions of the Military and carry it more than any other folder.
I believe just the opposite. :)
I believe the opposite of your opposite! Darby said it all.

And Midnightrider, while the Military may be one of the easiest liner locks to use which is another point to its credit, you can absolutely close any knife one handed. You may not believe in you right now, but I believe in you! ;)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think some of the safest locks to close one-handed are the comp and cbbl locks. You can depress the lock bar or pull back on the cage and allow the blade to swing closed with your fingers 100% clear of the path of the blade the whole time! :eek:

That said, the Military is excellent (as are back-locks, and slip-its, etc... :))
:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The CBBL really has a lot going for it. It has a strong bias towards closing and it can be closed in one fluid motion without placing the fingers in the path of the blade at any time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wrathhog wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:I use my Pacific Salt every day and it takes two hands to close it safely. I close my ukpk on my pants, don't try this at home boys and girls. I was disappointed my new P4 was not a one hander. I guess you guys are just more talented than me or don't mind losing a finger here and there :D
I don't understand why you can't close any of those knives easily one handed. I close my UKPK one handed and don't use my pants lol. For back locks, just put your index finger under the choil/ricasso area and using your thumb depress the lock and flick it out of the locked position. Your index finger will stop the knife from closing, even on knives without a choil.https://youtu.be/Usp0RX3LUYA
Not my video, just first one that came up on youtube.
This is NOT the best way to close a Spyderco back lock. The best way is to close it similar to a liner lock. Put your finger in the hole while pressing on the lock (the guy in the video pressed the lock wrongly, too). Then guide the blade partially closed, shift your fingers out of the way and either snap it closed with your thumb or finger, or put your thumb in the hole and guide it closed. This is very fast.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Midnightrider wrote:
npad69 wrote:

Better but still seems like a good way to slice and dice the fingers. What I like about the Military is I can unlock it and when the blade falls from gravity, the choil hits my thumb safely and then I can close it. Just perfectly designed :D
Yep. This is the best way. Or, you could put your thumb in the hole and guide it closed. Easy and safe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't think there is a best way or a right or wrong way, just what we are most comfortable with. I personally dislike guiding it with my finger in the hole and very much prefer flicking it so the choil or ricasso hits my finger. I know I am not alone. I feel like I have a more secure purchase on the knife while depressing the lockbar that way.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Nate wrote:I think some of the safest locks to close one-handed are the comp and cbbl locks. You can depress the lock bar or pull back on the cage and allow the blade to swing closed with your fingers 100% clear of the path of the blade the whole time! :eek:

That said, the Military is excellent (as are back-locks, and slip-its, etc... :))
So you're saying I need to buy the Manix 2 Maxamet? At least this is what I understood from your post :D
PayneTrain wrote:And Midnightrider, while the Military may be one of the easiest liner locks to use which is another point to its credit, you can absolutely close any knife one handed. You may not believe in you right now, but I believe in you! ;)
<wipes back a tear> thanks, man! ;) this is a great forum
btbyrd wrote:you can always depress the backlock and fold the blade closed by pressing the back of the blade against your leg
Yeah I said above this is how I close my ukpk.

Thanks guys
Nate

Post by Nate »

Midnightrider wrote: So you're saying I need to buy the Manix 2 Maxamet? At least this is what I understood from your post :D
You can't hardly go wrong, but while I'm a big fan of frn, I've always preferred the Manix 2 in g10 with skeletonized liners. Go figure... :confused:
:spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Midnightrider wrote:Better but still seems like a good way to slice and dice the fingers. What I like about the Military is I can unlock it and when the blade falls from gravity, the choil hits my thumb safely and then I can close it. Just perfectly designed :D
Then use that same method, only upside down. Blade is then moving upward, so it can't possibly swing closed.
Last edited by The Deacon on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!