ZDP 189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryno

ZDP 189

Post by Ryno »

Will ZDP ever come in a nicer knife than the line of knives it currently comes in? Perhaps with bronze-phosphor washers, g10 or carbon fiber, compression lock or ball bearing lock, etc?

Building on a recent post and because in my mind this is the best knife steel ever created, I think the Seki line of knives does this steel a disservice.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Evil D

Re: ZDP 189

Post by Evil D »

Well there have been G10 and CF versions of the Stretch in ZDP, but I guess if you don't like Japanese Spydercos then maybe ZDP isn't for you. Being a Japanese steel it's unlikely to find its way into anything else.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Evil D wrote:Well there have been G10 and CF versions of the Stretch in ZDP, but I guess if you don't like Japanese Spydercos then maybe ZDP isn't for you. Being a Japanese steel it's unlikely to find its way into anything else.
That the feeling I've gotten from previous posts.

I alternate between my ZDP dragonfly and my M4 and S110V PM2s, and it's unfortunate that ZDP is held hostage by such a basic line of knives. It's a shame Spyderco's best steel isn't available in their best knife models.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ryno wrote:
Evil D wrote:Well there have been G10 and CF versions of the Stretch in ZDP, but I guess if you don't like Japanese Spydercos then maybe ZDP isn't for you. Being a Japanese steel it's unlikely to find its way into anything else.

I alternate between my ZDP dragonfly and my M4 and S110V PM2s, and it's unfortunate that ZDP is held hostage by such a basic line of knives. It's a shame Spyderco's best steel isn't available in their best knife models.

What is it about ZDP that makes it best for you? Just curious what it has over other steels. I'd call it a great steel but I'd take M4 or S110V over it every time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Interesting thread. I personally love the minimalist nature of the Seki knives - I feel like the ZDP stops them from being their best. A S110V Endura would be my holy grail.

David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Caly 3.5 enough said..
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Ryno wrote:Will ZDP ever come in a nicer knife than the line of knives it currently comes in? Perhaps with bronze-phosphor washers, g10 or carbon fiber, compression lock or ball bearing lock, etc?

Building on a recent post and because in my mind this is the best knife steel ever created, I think the Seki line of knives does this steel a disservice.
With all due respect, I strongly disagree. As a function over form guy, I think Seki knives are excellent recipients for this steel. Lightweight, ergonomical, affordable, workhorses - how can that possibly a disservice?

I far prefer Spyderco's utilitarian, simple, user knives over their other offerings. Not saying those offerings aren't nice and desirable but just saying that where some may think a $300 flipper is of much grater than a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP189, I do not.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Evil D wrote:
Ryno wrote:

What is it about ZDP that makes it best for you? Just curious what it has over other steels. I'd call it a great steel but I'd take M4 or S110V over it every time.
ZDP gets as sharp as any steel for me, and in use maintains that wicked edge for many uses, gradually degrading. M4 and S110V OTOH both lose that razor sharpness after the first few uses, which I've heard called carbide tear out. They do maintain decent sharpness for a long time, but being decently sharp is a let down compared to a freshly sharpened blade.
Ryan

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Ryno wrote:Will ZDP ever come in a nicer knife than the line of knives it currently comes in? Perhaps with bronze-phosphor washers, g10 or carbon fiber, compression lock or ball bearing lock, etc?

With all due respect, I strongly disagree. As a function over form guy, I think Seki knives are excellent recipients for this steel. Lightweight, ergonomical, affordable, workhorses - how can that possibly a disservice?

I far prefer Spyderco's utilitarian, simple, user knives over their other offerings. Not saying those offerings aren't nice and desirable but just saying that where some may think a $300 flipper is of much grater than a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP189, I do not.
I get the simplistic, lightweight, utilitarian classification for these knives. For that reason, there's no replacement for my ZDP DF2 and SB Delica. They are great for hiking and hunting.

That being said, I use my M4 PM2 every day that I'm at work. The ergonomics are unbeatable and being able to quickly close the knife one handed is irreplaceable. I push in on the compression lock, flick it out, cut, press the compression lock again, and flick it closed. I do this several times per day. I use it so much though, that I'm constantly stropping the knife with diamond paste to stay ahead of carbide tear-out and the apex angle grows more obtuse each time until I have to drag out the edge pro to reprofile.

The odd days I've brought my ZDP DF2 to work, the constant razor sharpness is a energizing to me but the slow action disrupts my workflow.

If I had a ZDP PM2, I would grind it thin and cut forever. I'd put the rest of my knives in my display case.
Ryan

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Sharp Guy wrote:Caly 3.5 enough said..
Does the caly 3.5 flick open? By that I mean does it have washers or bearings that let the blade swing all the way open and all the way closed when lock friction comes off?
Ryan

Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Ryno wrote:M4 and S110V OTOH both lose that razor sharpness after the first few uses, which I've heard called carbide tear out. They do maintain decent sharpness for a long time, but being decently sharp is a let down compared to a freshly sharpened blade.
Diamond Stones.

David
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Canazes9 wrote:
Ryno wrote:M4 and S110V OTOH both lose that razor sharpness after the first few uses, which I've heard called carbide tear out. They do maintain decent sharpness for a long time, but being decently sharp is a let down compared to a freshly sharpened blade.
Diamond Stones.

David
Do diamond stones prevent carbide tear out?
Ryan

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am quite fond of my G10 Stretch2 in ZDP. I consider it great steel. It has better edge retention than S30V and similar steels. Probably closer to 204P/M390/20CV and probably just a little below M4.

I would be interested in seeing it used in some more Japanese knives but G10 with VG10 from Japan is expensive enough as it is. If knives like the Ouroborous and Qball came in ZDP they would be even more costly than they are now.

I still think a ZDP Centofante3/4 with green frn would be a good sprint. Classy looking and reasonably priced. I think a gold colored bug would look nice with dark green. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am quite fond of my G10 Stretch2 in ZDP. I consider it great steel. It has better edge retention than S30V and similar steels. Probably closer to 204P/M390/20CV and probably just a little below M4.

I would be interested in seeing it used in some more Japanese knives but G10 with VG10 from Japan is expensive enough as it is. If knives like the Ouroborous and Qball came in ZDP they would be even more costly than they are now.

I still think a ZDP Centofante3/4 with green frn would be a good sprint. Classy looking and reasonably priced. I think a gold colored bug would look nice with dark green. ;)
An ouroborous in ZDP would be an excellent compromise towards what I'm looking for. Granted it would be expensive, but cheap if it was the last knife I had to buy.
Ryan

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I get what Ryno is after. The ability of holding a super keen edge for longer than other steels is what sets ZDP apart. I have both a Stretch and a Delica in ZDP, and they are great cutters.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

A lot of fans too
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... &p=1182497

I like Seki FRN, and the ergonomics of Endura is better than PM2 for me. Probably time to pick that E4 ZDP again, or get the new Stretch 2 ZDP.

@Ryno,

Don’t let yourself stuck with D’fly. Try the Stretch in ZDP. The one hand open & close is easier than Endura, as somehow Stretch has softer spring. I can’t manipulate D’fly well either because of the size. I can close lockback better than PM2. It’s timing though, requires practice. In my hand, it keeps bouncing off because too late, or too early, it didn’t close fully. No such problem with Stretch (I had VG10 and HAP40).
Chris :spyder:
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I love the Caly 3 CF quite a lot as a higher end offering with ZDP. I’ve always been pleased with the performance of ZDP in that knife.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been hoping to see a ZDP189 Police since 2009 or so, back when the Police 3 came out.

I'd buy a ZDP189 Police 4 in a heart beat. IMO the Police 4 needs a run in some sort of stainless steel, why not ZDP189? It'd be that or VG10 I'd imagine.

If a man could really dream, peel ply carbon fiber / ZDP189 Police 4. It'd weigh less than a Military :eek: :eek: :eek:
:unicorn
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I would buy a mini-Police4 in ZDP189 ! Heck, I would buy two :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ryno wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:Caly 3.5 enough said..
Does the caly 3.5 flick open? By that I mean does it have washers or bearings that let the blade swing all the way open and all the way closed when lock friction comes off?
I can flick mine open but I rarely do it because I don't like flicking open back locks.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!