Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby Evil D » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:51 pm

jdw wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Stretch 2- Also FFG but also 3mm, it's a far better slicer than most knives that are offered in SE. Good amount of blade too.
I don't see many of these around the secondary market. I used to have one and I think that it is one of the most versatile SEs that Spyderco has made and I would love to find another. I am pretty sure that it was a regular production run. Where did they all go?

They vanished like a fart in the wind. I bought a new one old stock one from my local knife shop and it turned out to have tons of vertical blade play so I sent it to Golden and they decided it was defective so they gave me a credit because they didn't have any to replace it with. Then I complained about it here on the forum and I was gifted one by someone here and I can't for the life of me remember who. It's one that I definitely won't part with just because they seem to be impossible to find.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
PanChango
Member
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby PanChango » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Evil D wrote:
jdw wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Stretch 2- Also FFG but also 3mm, it's a far better slicer than most knives that are offered in SE. Good amount of blade too.
I don't see many of these around the secondary market. I used to have one and I think that it is one of the most versatile SEs that Spyderco has made and I would love to find another. I am pretty sure that it was a regular production run. Where did they all go?

They vanished like a fart in the wind. I bought a new one old stock one from my local knife shop and it turned out to have tons of vertical blade play so I sent it to Golden and they decided it was defective so they gave me a credit because they didn't have any to replace it with. Then I complained about it here on the forum and I was gifted one by someone here and I can't for the life of me remember who. It's one that I definitely won't part with just because they seem to be impossible to find.
That would be me. I am glad you are still enjoying the SE stretch.

When I carry an SE blade, it is either the Caly 3 SE or the ZDP189 Endura. The FFG Caly is my favorite by far.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby Evil D » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:48 pm

PanChango wrote:
Evil D wrote:
jdw wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Stretch 2- Also FFG but also 3mm, it's a far better slicer than most knives that are offered in SE. Good amount of blade too.
I don't see many of these around the secondary market. I used to have one and I think that it is one of the most versatile SEs that Spyderco has made and I would love to find another. I am pretty sure that it was a regular production run. Where did they all go?

They vanished like a fart in the wind. I bought a new one old stock one from my local knife shop and it turned out to have tons of vertical blade play so I sent it to Golden and they decided it was defective so they gave me a credit because they didn't have any to replace it with. Then I complained about it here on the forum and I was gifted one by someone here and I can't for the life of me remember who. It's one that I definitely won't part with just because they seem to be impossible to find.
That would be me. I am glad you are still enjoying the SE stretch.

When I carry an SE blade, it is either the Caly 3 SE or the ZDP189 Endura. The FFG Caly is my favorite by far.

Thanks man! Yeah it has been one of my favorites. The Caly 3 has to be another great one since it's also 3mm but typically ground a bit thinner than most.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8353
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby xceptnl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Evil D wrote:
PanChango wrote:
Evil D wrote:
jdw wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Stretch 2- Also FFG but also 3mm, it's a far better slicer than most knives that are offered in SE. Good amount of blade too.
I don't see many of these around the secondary market. I used to have one and I think that it is one of the most versatile SEs that Spyderco has made and I would love to find another. I am pretty sure that it was a regular production run. Where did they all go?

They vanished like a fart in the wind. I bought a new one old stock one from my local knife shop and it turned out to have tons of vertical blade play so I sent it to Golden and they decided it was defective so they gave me a credit because they didn't have any to replace it with. Then I complained about it here on the forum and I was gifted one by someone here and I can't for the life of me remember who. It's one that I definitely won't part with just because they seem to be impossible to find.
That would be me. I am glad you are still enjoying the SE stretch.

When I carry an SE blade, it is either the Caly 3 SE or the ZDP189 Endura. The FFG Caly is my favorite by far.

Thanks man! Yeah it has been one of my favorites. The Caly 3 has to be another great one since it's also 3mm but typically ground a bit thinner than most.
The Caly 3 does have some terrific serrations. Everytime I carry mine, i wish Spyderco had made an SE in the 3.5 version. With about 1" of forward PE section.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

clovisc
Member
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby clovisc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:08 pm

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Peacent, if Spyderco were to offer a modified Atlantic Salt, with the same H1 stainless blade and the same serrated and plain edge as the current model, (if they were to add it to the lineup along with what they currently have) but a modified more Wharncliffe blade, with a sharp point and the serrations, would you definitely go for that and be one of the first to try it out? I sure would.
Wow -- that sounds like a dream come true!

clovisc
Member
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby clovisc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Initially, I didn't even consider the serrated kitchen knives, but they definitely deserve a spot on my "favorite examples of spyderedge" list. It would be awesome to have that style of serration in a Centofante 3, or another thin-bladed folder.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby sal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi Jason,

Good to see you. How's fatherhood? I owe you a big thanx for all of the Great Alaska stuff. I have a soft spot in my heart for Alaska. Used to spend a month each year working the Fur Rondy and the State Fair. I do miss those days. I have a thank you for you, but production is running behind.

FYI, Clovisc was a tester for me when we were first developing H1. He was doing (a very admirable) Peace Corps stint in Africa, very humid. I sent him H1 knives to test for me. He sent me my original Chockwe that I used as the basis for the Sprint design.

I'd like to speak with you about a project I've had in mind for models based on local Natives; Eskimo, Athapascan, etc. Will write shortly. Please email your current mailing address to me.

sal

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby sal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Maybe a serrated Chaparral?

sal

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8353
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby xceptnl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 pm

sal wrote:Maybe a serrated Chaparral?

sal
Eyebrow raised
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

cabfrank
Member
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby cabfrank » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:05 am

sal wrote:Maybe a serrated Chaparral?

sal
Speaking for all of us, that is a fine idea.

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby ThePeacent » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:38 pm

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Peacent, if Spyderco were to offer a modified Atlantic Salt, with the same H1 stainless blade and the same serrated and plain edge as the current model, (if they were to add it to the lineup along with what they currently have) but a modified more Wharncliffe blade, with a sharp point and the serrations, would you definitely go for that and be one of the first to try it out? I sure would.
well, as I've mentioned in quite a few other threads my favorite blade hapes are Leaf, Wharnie and Hawkbill. My favorite steel is H1 and I prefer FRN.
If it weren't because of the G10 handles and lock type, I'd jump on the Wharnie Caribbean as soon as it's released, but those two are not attractive features to me. What I don't like about spyderco's wharnies is the thick tip, and I reground my Jumpmaster to have a finer, pointier one.

Image

If the Atlantic were to be pointier, keep the FRN, H1 and size I'd be all over it. Even for a LC200N PE version. The JM is just too big for daily carry IMO. The Atlantic with those slight changes would be the "folding Jumpmaster" I've long desired, most likely ;)

Image

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby Evil D » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:54 pm

ThePeacent wrote:What I don't like about spyderco's wharnies is the thick tip..
Don't confuse a wharnie with a sheepsfoot. For clarification, the Yojimbo 2 is a wharncliffe, the Caribbean/Atlantic/Autonomy/Rescue/Jumpmaster are sheepsfoot.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby ThePeacent » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 am

Evil D wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:What I don't like about spyderco's wharnies is the thick tip..
Don't confuse a wharnie with a sheepsfoot. For clarification, the Yojimbo 2 is a wharncliffe, the Caribbean/Atlantic/Autonomy/Rescue/Jumpmaster are sheepsfoot.
absolutely,
but at some point the sheepsfoot becomes a wharnie. It's the degree of curvature? The straight line from spine to tip? The angle of the bellied drop? :confused:

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby Evil D » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 am

ThePeacent wrote:
Evil D wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:What I don't like about spyderco's wharnies is the thick tip..
Don't confuse a wharnie with a sheepsfoot. For clarification, the Yojimbo 2 is a wharncliffe, the Caribbean/Atlantic/Autonomy/Rescue/Jumpmaster are sheepsfoot.
absolutely,
but at some point the sheepsfoot becomes a wharnie. It's the degree of curvature? The straight line from spine to tip? The angle of the bellied drop? :confused:
I always assumed it's just the way the spine comes down to the tip. A sheepsfoot is intended to not be stabby, pretty much the opposite of a wharnie. Knives like the Centofante 4 do make it a little confusing, if the slope of the spine on that knife were any higher it might qualify as a sheepsfoot.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
PiggyBackJack
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:49 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby PiggyBackJack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:11 am

Favorite SE blade? I gotta say the Jumpmaster. That thing rips and tears through just about anything like it’s nobody’s business! It’s not for fine cutting, mind you but rather for those situations when something’s just gotta get cut like right frickin’ NOW! :p
MA on the S/Y First Class under Captain T.

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 am

Peacent, perhaps Sal and crew will eventually make a Caribbean in FRN?

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby ThePeacent » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:15 pm

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Peacent, perhaps Sal and crew will eventually make a Caribbean in FRN?
I would hope so, the current scales don't do it for me and I actually prefer FRN to G10 in my "corrosion proof" folders

the steel and blade shape are still very appealing and I'm eager to try LC200N in the near future

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:15 pm

There are some older serrated Spyderco models that I feel have always been overlooked but are great for everyday users. Of course I'm going to mention how great the C-60 Ayoob is in full SE. But during that era there were two others that I thought were excellent streamlined models in Spyderedge. I'm speaking of the JD Smith and RENEGADE both in Spyderedge. I guess you could throw the Viele model in with that bunch as well.

It's funny that they have not had anymore streamlined, narrow bladed models in SE. Because for everyday cutting jobs they were great!

JAfromMN
Member
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:41 pm
Location: MN

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby JAfromMN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Endura 2. The beast with a point.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17659
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Your Favorite Examples of Spyderedge, and Why

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 am

Again and I hate to be redundant but with Spyderco truly being the king of the serrated edge I just can't understand why they don't try some newer patterns. Because I'm totally convinced that we haven't seen the best possible serration pattern yet>> not saying that the present patterns are sub-par by any means because they are great for all kinds of hard work uses ( especially the Japan spikey versions). But I would love to see a pattern that cuts somewhat smoother like many of the culinary models seem to.

I would also love to see them try to implement a super aggressive type of a serration pattern for really demanding jobs.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, Chris.Magers, Google [Bot], Larry_Mott, MSN [Bot], steelcity16, TkoK83Spy and 49 guests