Considering an Atlantic Salt..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Considering an Atlantic Salt..

Post by Evil D »

Lately I've felt the need for more serrations in my life. I've thought about the Pacific but the handle shape doesn't work very well for me. I have a few good SE knives but what I don't have is a serrated wharnie/sheepsfoot, and I want a larger option than the Delica (which also has a handle that doesn't work for me). I'm pretty sure I've handled the Atlantic...seems like I was hard up for a PE version at one time, maybe for the older VG10 version. I plan on grinding the tip down more like a wharnie (same as I did on my Rock Lobster) and possibly having it reground flat.

Aaaaanyway, not sure what I'm posting this for other than I'm sitting here in a turkey coma daydreaming. Lets see some pics :D I'm pretty sure Jazz has one that's PE and reshaped like a Centofante 4. I know I've seen one that was DLC and reground into a flat saber grind that had a sweet two tone finish.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AlwaysTomboy

Re: Considering an Atlantic Salt..

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

The ergos of Atlantic Salt seem very similar to PM2 to me. Ditto Salt Saver and Para 3. I like both better than Delica/Endura style handles.

Can't help other than that, but you did ask for photos, so...

:)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It's not mine anymore, but here's a pic. I have another of a shortened SE blue one I have, but Imgur makes you wait between uploads, so I'll post it when I can.

- best wishes, Jazz.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I have a PE yellow example from the earliest production batch. I bought it in person at Country Knives in Intercourse, PA. :) Have a yellow SE Atlantic scheduled to arrive Friday -- it will be my winter boat knife for fishing prawns and crab. My wife carries a SE Saver; not a whole lot smaller, but fits better in ladies' jeans pockets. I strongly recommend the Atlantic/Saver Salt family!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's either this or an Autonomy, I can't really make up my mind and apart from similar blade shapes there's a lot of difference between them. Decisions decisions.

If Sal/Spyderco would give me a PE Autonomy it would be a done deal.
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Its a great knife and you will be happy with it, for sure.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here you go.

- best wishes, Jazz.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have owned a Saver Salt for a number of years. Great ergonomics and I find the size is perfect for me, might be small for you. Super sharp with the serrations in H1 and nice that you don't have to worry about the steel. I have really scaled down my collection, keeping the knives I found the most useful, I kept the SSaver and the DFLY in H1.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm tempted to order one too. Haven't handled one and the PM2 picture makes it look like I'd be cutting it close when it comes to handle size. Maybe I'll order one and exchange it for another Pacific Salt if it doesn't fit.

In fact with a reground tip I could see this becoming my main EDC if its big enough for my mitts.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They do have very thick blades/grinds.
- best wishes, Jazz.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Got this thanks for Lance:

Using only stones to regrind the tip (cheap ACE 320 grit SiC, I think). I have since taking it a bit further on the tip, but no photo at the moment.

It’s not as hand filling as Stretch FRN, but the choil is there, which is what I like. Rarely used, kept it sharp and carried IWB (sweat proof). The handle length might be similar to PM2, but I like this and dislike the boxy and thicker PM2 handle.

Hope it helps.
Chris :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:I'm tempted to order one too. Haven't handled one and the PM2 picture makes it look like I'd be cutting it close when it comes to handle size. Maybe I'll order one and exchange it for another Pacific Salt if it doesn't fit.

In fact with a reground tip I could see this becoming my main EDC if its big enough for my mitts.

PM2 is a bit cramped for my hand behind the choil, I'm hoping that isn't the case here. I do wish it had a bit of PE on the tip like the Rescue has.
~David
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Or you can buy Rescue Salt and ground the tip to the point. I thing SG made one for his fishing cayak. Looks very cool to me. Rescue also has a nice thick contoured handle.
SpyderEdgeForever

anagarika wrote:Got this thanks for Lance:

Using only stones to regrind the tip (cheap ACE 320 grit SiC, I think). I have since taking it a bit further on the tip, but no photo at the moment.

It’s not as hand filling as Stretch FRN, but the choil is there, which is what I like. Rarely used, kept it sharp and carried IWB (sweat proof). The handle length might be similar to PM2, but I like this and dislike the boxy and thicker PM2 handle.

Hope it helps.

OH MY GOODNESS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT MODIFICATION AND I NEED ONE ASAP!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

My new Atlantic SE arrived at the post office today, and is just what I was looking for. It's hard to imagine anything better for cutting line and rope out on the water. The new slots in the scales are a bit visually odd, but don't seem to weaken the scales, impact the grip, or have any downside. (Although, I'm curious if it will contribute to added gunk collecting inside the knife.)

I'm going to try using it as my primary EDC for a little while; I'm curious if I can live without "blade belly" for my full variety of typical cutting tasks. I've actually never before gone totally without "belly" for an extended period of time!
SpyderEdgeForever

Please keep myself and others updated on the experience in using that Atlantic Salt, clovis. Thank you! I like that knife it is one of my favorite.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

clovisc wrote:My new Atlantic SE arrived at the post office today, and is just what I was looking for. It's hard to imagine anything better for cutting line and rope out on the water. The new slots in the scales are a bit visually odd, but don't seem to weaken the scales, impact the grip, or have any downside. (Although, I'm curious if it will contribute to added gunk collecting inside the knife.)

I'm going to try using it as my primary EDC for a little while; I'm curious if I can live without "blade belly" for my full variety of typical cutting tasks. I've actually never before gone totally without "belly" for an extended period of time!

Seems to me a belly is most useful when cutting against another surface like a cutting board. It doesn't make much difference when cutting things you're holding in your off hand. Having a straight edge actually helps to keep things like rope from slipping off the edge, which may not be much of an issue with serrations but it does improve the effect.
~David
kuranes

Post by kuranes »

clovisc wrote:My new Atlantic SE arrived at the post office today, and is just what I was looking for. It's hard to imagine anything better for cutting line and rope out on the water. The new slots in the scales are a bit visually odd, but don't seem to weaken the scales, impact the grip, or have any downside. (Although, I'm curious if it will contribute to added gunk collecting inside the knife.)

Dawn and a toothbrush help.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

kuranes wrote:

I actually use a motorized toothbrush. I always have trouble getting deep inside my FRN spydies, between the liners. I still haven't found the trick for that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

clovisc wrote:
kuranes wrote:

I actually use a motorized toothbrush. I always have trouble getting deep inside my FRN spydies, between the liners. I still haven't found the trick for that.

Q-tip and soapy water? I bet a water pick water flosser would be great for this.
~David