Christmas is coming and the wife wants to buy me ONE good knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SharpieB

Christmas is coming and the wife wants to buy me ONE good knife...

Post by SharpieB »

Hey all,

New to the knife game and in the last couple of months I have bought the following....

Manix 2 LW (Black FRN/BD-1)
Tenacious (G10/8CR13MOV)
Ladybug (Black FRN/VG10) - my wife swiped this one permanently
Para 3 (Digi Camo FRN/S30V)
Also a Byrd Meadowlark and a Cara Cara 2 (both FRN/8Cr13MoV).

My wife thinks I am nuts (likely I am!), but wants to surprise me with ONE nice knife for Christmas. Ideally $100-150 and likely my last Spyderco for a while. ;)

My initial thoughts have been a Yellow Pacific Salt as we spend a lot of time at our cottage near the water or an Endura 4 as I really like the ergonomics of the Cara Cara 2. I have also looked at the Native 5 and a PM2.

Based on what I own, what might be a good addition?

As far as usage... a bit of food prep, breaking down boxes, making tinder for the fire and cutting small branches, etc.

Thanks Spyderco peeps!
Johnnie1801

Re: Christmas is coming and the wife wants to buy me ONE good knife...

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If you have the sharpening skills then I would go for either a paramilitary 2 or manix 2 in s110v steel.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Lucky you! :)
Personally I'd go with the Pacific Salt.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SharpieB wrote:Hey all,

New to the knife game and in the last couple of months I have bought the following....

Tenacious (G10/8CR13MOV)

My wife thinks I am nuts (likely I am!), but wants to surprise me with ONE nice knife for Christmas. Ideally $100-150 and likely my last Spyderco for a while. ;)

My initial thoughts have been a Yellow Pacific Salt as we spend a lot of time at our cottage near the water or an Endura 4 as I really like the ergonomics of the Cara Cara 2. I have also looked at the Native 5 and a PM2.

As far as usage... a bit of food prep, breaking down boxes, making tinder for the fire and cutting small branches, etc.

Thanks Spyderco peeps!
I'd go with the Pacific Salt over the Endura.

The ergonomics of the Cara Cara are based off the Endura 3 / Pacific Salt handle. The Endura 4 has a different handle shape that may or may not work as well for you. I avoid all Endura 4's because I do not like the handle shape as much as Pacific Salts / Endura 3's.

Can't recommend the Pacific Salt enough. There are other knives I have that are nicer, with fancier steels and handle scales, that cost 2-3x as much, but none of them see the pocket time my Pacific Salts do. Hands down my most carried knife. I have a black SE Pacific Salt on me at least 5 days out of the week, if not more.

Serrated H1 holds an edge better than plain edged H1, and for the uses you listed it will do just fine in most cases. Plain edged H1 has edge retention that's just a bit better than 8Cr13MoV in my experience, while SE H1 completely blows it out of the water. SE H1 is up there with anything else I own in regards to edge retention. IT's also rust proof and tougher than other stainless steel I've used. It truly is a super steel.

That being said the Para 2 is one of their best knives in my opinion, it's just a bit undersized for my liking. It will have a slightly smaller grip and cutting edge compared to a Cara Cara, and personally Cara Caras are as small as I care to go for a primary knife. If the size is right for you, you can't go wrong with the Para 2. An absurd amount of steel and scale options from the factory and aftermarket to boot.
:unicorn
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Spyderco Caribbean is due to be released literally any day. It's LC200N steel is easy to sharpen, holds an edge much better than the H1 used in the Salt series in plain edge, has the same rustproof qualities and features the compression lock mechanism of the PM2. If I thought I was going to be restricted on my knife purchases for a while I would check it out and wait for it if you think you'll like the design.

David
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

SE Pacific! A rust-proof knife and chainsaw, in one.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

SE Pac salt.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Another vote on the SE Pacific Salt. To give you an idea, I can easily cut lots of thick carpeting with my SE Dragonfly in H1 and that has less than a 2" blade on it.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Cottage near water? Sounds like you need a Military or PM2.
Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think your thoughts on the Pacific are on point. You don't have any serrations and that's a great place to start.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Smooth_Operater

Post by Smooth_Operater »

I actually laughed at “last knife for a while”. I said the same thing when i got a cruwear para 3. Now im waiting on a s90v para 3. But i like what johnnie1801 said. PM2 in S110V if you can handle it. :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I suggest a spyderco kitchen knife, so you can turn your addiction into a mutually beneficial one when you make her a delicious thank you meal(s).
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Cheddarnut wrote:I suggest a spyderco kitchen knife, so you can turn your addiction into a mutually beneficial one when you use it to make her a delicious thank you meal(s).
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

doppelpost
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

For use in water or near water, you can’t go wrong with one of the Salt series knife. Which one? That depends on your size preference.

It also seems you need some pocket jewelry in your collection. I have a Sage 5 and it is fantastic pocket jewelry.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Native 5 dlc s90v CS exclusive.
PM2 s110v.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Seems to be a bit of consensus here. I would agree either the SE Pacific Salt or Para w 2 in whatever flavor of steel you may like. Being around water one of the stainless steels may be better. If you like the digi-camo the S30v is Aok. In a smaller version the Para 3 you mentioned above would also make a great Christmas gift. Enjoy your new Spydie. :spyder:
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

Thanks for the great info. The only partially serrated blades I own are a Cara Cara 2 and a Ruko/Fox Predator 2. Time for a fully serrated blade methinks.

This Spyderco habit can be expensive as I am quickly learning!
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Vivi wrote:

Tenacious (G10/8CR13MOV)

Thanks Spyderco peeps!

The ergonomics of the Cara Cara are based off the Endura 3 / Pacific Salt handle. The Endura 4 has a different handle shape that may or may not work as well for you. I avoid all Endura 4's because I do not like the handle shape as much as Pacific Salts / Endura 3's.

Can't recommend the Pacific Salt enough. There are other knives I have that are nicer, with fancier steels and handle scales, that cost 2-3x as much, but none of them see the pocket time my Pacific Salts do. Hands down my most carried knife. I have a black SE Pacific Salt on me at least 5 days out of the week, if not more.

Serrated H1 holds an edge better than plain edged H1, and for the uses you listed it will do just fine in most cases. Plain edged H1 has edge retention that's just a bit better than 8Cr13MoV in my experience, while SE H1 completely blows it out of the water. SE H1 is up there with anything else I own in regards to edge retention. IT's also rust proof and tougher than other stainless steel I've used. It truly is a super steel.

That being said the Para 2 is one of their best knives in my opinion, it's just a bit undersized for my liking. It will have a slightly smaller grip and cutting edge compared to a Cara Cara, and personally Cara Caras are as small as I care to go for a primary knife. If the size is right for you, you can't go wrong with the Para 2. An absurd amount of steel and scale options from the factory and aftermarket to boot.

Clearly you need something in H1. That’s obvious. Don’t listen to anyone telling you to get this or that super steel. If you’re new to steel collecting, and have frequent trips to wet locations, get something in H1. How about a fixed blade H1?
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Tenacious (G10/8CR13MOV)

Thanks Spyderco peeps!

Clearly you need something in H1. That’s obvious. Don’t listen to anyone telling you to get this or that super steel. If you’re new to steel collecting, and have frequent trips to wet locations, get something in H1. How about a fixed blade H1?
I have a few fixed blades (think Rambo and Jason from Fri13) and they just get used around the cottage. Big 6-18” Bowies to machetes. Not a big fan of carrying a fixed blade around in public, even if it is smaller. I think something in H1 or a Caribbean depending when they drop is a good bet for me.

Also, almost all of my knives are black or dark green/Camo. Something yellow would be a nice change of pace!