Dragonfly 2 vs Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Dragonfly 2 vs Urban

Post by ZMW »

I already have the K390 Urban, and I think my next folder is a H1 SE Dragonfly 2. Can someone tell me how they like the ergos on the DF2 vs the Urban. I saw some pics online and they look similar in size, with the DF2 having a more slender handle. What do you guys prefer to carry (when thinking of how it carries and ergos). Urban or the DF2?

Thanks!
SF Native

Re: Dragonfly 2 vs Urban

Post by SF Native »

Lots of people love the dragonfly, but I’m not one of them. I’m not a fan of the thin curved handle. It just doesn’t feel comfortable in my hand. Pingo is a bit the same. Just not a shape that works for me. I really like the urban, ukpk, caly shape.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the Dragonfly 2. I will always carry it in preference to the Urban if I'm in a jurisdiction that allows locks.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Urban too. The Urban K390 is _amazing_.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

both great, prefer df2
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Spydergirl88 wrote:both great, prefer df2
+1
Eee

Post by Eee »

I preferred the Urban, it feels like you get more blade in a similar size package and a slightly more hand filling handle.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Can't tell you anything about the urban, but the DFly is my favorite. Good choice on the SE H1 version too. Having a rust proof knife is very handy. Have you seen the SE H1 Hawkbill Dragonfly?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Urban ergonomics work much better for me.

The dragonfly never felt right in my hand.

If you notice, on the urban there is a bit of a swell in the handle for the middle finger to grip. This area is scooped out on the Dragonfly handle, which is what ruins the ergos for me. It never felt like there was enough handle material for my middle finger and ring finger to grip, and the part of the handle where the pinky rests is too small for mine.

Basically aside from the index choil, the entire dragonfly handle feels bad to me. The thumb ramp is also too close to the index choil IMO, it'd give me thumb more room if it were more forward.

The d-fly is a design I really wanted to like due to the handle and steel options, and the size would compliment my large folders well. It's one of those designs that I honestly feel I will never understand. The handle shape of the Caly or Urban fits much better, and even my Spin gives me a more secure and comfortable grip.

For a compact H1 knife I've found my needs served well with the Tasman Salt. The Spyderco Salt is the same thing with a conventional blade. I'd also consider an H1 urban or UKPK if they made it.
:unicorn
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Urban.

One of my early Spydie purchases was a CF Dragonfly and I also have a Dragonfly Salt (SE). The Dragonfly Salt is a nice, very lightweight, knife to stick in your pocket but I much preferred the ergos on the G10 Navigator (still one of my favorite small folders) to the CF Dragonfly and I prefer the Urban to the Dragonfly Salt.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'd have to say Urban at the moment, but I haven't actually used or held the Dragonfly yet. The reasons why I bought a couple of Urbans and haven't picked up a Dragonfly have already been stated by others. Still, I never got the Pingo handle until I actually held it, so maybe the D2 wouls surprise me as well. I'm open to checking one out sometime. The Salt D2's have been tempting me a bit.
:spyder:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Urban for me.They are both awesome but Urban is easier to open one hand and has a longer blade.That being said, a 2,75 inch blade lenght Dfly would be the best edc spydie in my book.As they are, I have a love affair with my K390 Urban lately.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Holland

Post by Holland »

+1
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Urban better and would love it is there were a back lock version. However, I do like the DF2 quite a lot and carry one often. It is lighter and slimmer so I do find uses for it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Holland wrote:
+1
and again! I'd go with the DF2
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Eee

Post by Eee »

So it sounds like the answer is ‘it depends’.

You might need to get to a bricks & mortar store and try them for size
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I love the H1 DFly. I use mine as a travel knife we just came back from Mexico where I carried it exclusively. I wear a large glove size so may hands are large but not huge and I am amazed how well this knife fits. I typically carry a 7" knife these days as my taste in size has gotten smaller over the years and I am amazed at how this knife feels and performs for the size. The H1 is also a real bonus, just a fantastic worry free package all in all.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'd have a hard time getting rid of the k390 urban, or hap40/H1SE/H1SEHB dragonflies. They're all keepers for me. The only thing I've thought about changing on the urban is removing the handle belly.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Let me revive this topic a bit.
I'm looking for an early Christmas gift from my wife :D

I do own a G10 DF2 and it does slide into the pocket, however, holding it for longer periods of time cramps my hand quite a bit.

Having a Pingo also, I see that it dissapears in the pocket, unlike DF2, which does stick out a bit.

Being in Europe (Croatia), where carrying knives gets you a redneck reputation, I like it when my folder slides in the back pocket, and looks like a pen.

So I tought that Urban in N690Co would be the logical answer for me; this was until I saw that VG-10 has twice the edge retention, so now I'm in a dillema: get another DF2 and cramp my fingers again, or have worse retention, but better grip control (bought a CS Tuff Lite a while ago, and this was a remarkable improvment for my hand after DF2).

Anyway, K390 is ruled out for me when looking at at Urban because I live by the sea, and unfortunately, AEB-L comes with the dirt color of handle, so it's down to N690Co.

What's your verdict?
I'm specifically interested in retention of N690? Is it that bad?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I haven’t found N690 to be any different at all from VG10 in use.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:14 am
Let me revive this topic a bit.
I'm looking for an early Christmas gift from my wife :D

I do own a G10 DF2 and it does slide into the pocket, however, holding it for longer periods of time cramps my hand quite a bit.

Having a Pingo also, I see that it dissapears in the pocket, unlike DF2, which does stick out a bit.

Being in Europe (Croatia), where carrying knives gets you a redneck reputation, I like it when my folder slides in the back pocket, and looks like a pen.

So I tought that Urban in N690Co would be the logical answer for me; this was until I saw that VG-10 has twice the edge retention, so now I'm in a dillema: get another DF2 and cramp my fingers again, or have worse retention, but better grip control (bought a CS Tuff Lite a while ago, and this was a remarkable improvment for my hand after DF2).

Anyway, K390 is ruled out for me when looking at at Urban because I live by the sea, and unfortunately, AEB-L comes with the dirt color of handle, so it's down to N690Co.

What's your verdict?
I'm specifically interested in retention of N690? Is it that bad?

Nope ... in fact, in real life, from my experience, N690Co holds an edge better than VG10 and it sharpens like a dream. I would chose N690Co over VG10 every time.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red