Lost spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gingerninja

Lost spydies

Post by gingerninja »

I've been building a bit of a collection for about 3 yrs now and in that time I've lost 2.
The first was a couple of years ago, a digi camo dlc pm2. I felt sick about It, I retraced my steps countless times and searched everywhere but no luck. About 6 mths later I got a call from my mother telling me she found it behind a cushion on her couch.. i just about did somersaults I was so happy. That wasn't just because I finally had my knife back, I was also hoping that having the knife back would stop some of the grief I was getting from the mrs. It didn't.
Earlier this year I somehow managed to lose my sage 3. I felt sicker than last time, mostly compounded by the renewed and relentless " you idiot" and "how much did this one cost" barbs deservedly thrown my way. There has been no happy ending with this one but over the months that have passed the comments havnt gone away but have happily reduced.
jabba359

Re: Lost spydies

Post by jabba359 »

It's tough to lose a knife, or anything really. My first knife was a C35 Q. It mysteriously vanished from my pocket while on an extremely crowded bus. It may have snagged on something, or somebody may have taken advantage of all the people bumping into each other as we stood on the bus and slipped it out of my pocket. I eventually picked up a replacement a decade later, though at about three times the price of my first one.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I have lost three:
-- A 440v mili that was stolen 10 years ago during my last days in the Peace Corps. I know exactly who stole it, but had no hope of recovering the knife, and felt bad for them, so accepted the loss.
-- A dragonfly salt that I lost while body boarding in Hawaii. The waves that day were especially fun due to a tsunami which had occurred in Chile.
-- A zome Endura which I haven't seen since a visit to a remote hydropower construction site in SE Alaska. I am still hoping it will show up in some obscure jacket pocket. I suspect that the day I finally break down and order its successor will be the same day I find the lost knife.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I have a G10 Delica somewhere.. Haven't seen it in a couple of years, normally the wife is the Delica person in the family, but she claims to have no knowledge of that one...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Feeling your pain. I have lost one or two over the years, the most painful was my brown FRN Delica. I knew it couldn't have gone far, but it didn't turn up. 6 months later my son found it in his small day hike backpack from our summer outing. I had plenty of other knives and plenty of Delicas, but the brown was my favorite.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

My desire for a Spyderco began instantly when I saw the Spyder-edged Endura in the movie "Cliffhanger". I saw and bought my first one in Okinawa in '94. I found it in a scuba diving shop on Kadena Air Base. It was the first version Delica ClipIt PE with the integrated clip. I lost it about 10 years later while knee-boarding on Norris Lake in East TN. By the time I lost it, it wasn't my primary EDC anymore and my collection had expanded a bit, but it was my first Spyderco and had sentimental value. I should have known better than to knee-board with it clipped in my waistband. I often wonder if it might have washed up on shore and someone found it. I like to think it bit someone and a new Spyderco fan was born ;) but most likely it is still at the bottom of the lake. It was very used and worn, but still as functional as the first day I bought it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I lost my Southard in my couch once. The crazy part is that I didn't even know I had lost it until I found it. I think I was looking for a remote or something when I found it. I guess I have too many knives! I often wonder if I have lost any other knives that I am unaware of? Yikes!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Only one, and of course it was my favorite EDC for years.

I had a CPMD2 Military I swapped into digital camo scales. Gave it a patina and a super thin edge and carried it for five or six years. Then as I'm moving out from my "friends" house I notice I can't find it. Never did come across it again.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've somehow managed to only lose one, which was a Tasman Salt in Florida. I take comfort in hoping someone eventually finds it and it hasn't rusted and they're blown away by that and give it a good home.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I also lost a Tasman Salt with rit-dyed red scales this August, never to see it again due to the cause of loss

it was my only Rit-dyed Spydie and one of my 3 most carried
:(
carrot

Post by carrot »

To date I have lost only one, a Caly3. But it was my prized EDC for a long time when I had only a few knives, and the replacement Caly3's I bought never grabbed me the same way.

And I had a Native 3 stolen. I miss that one too.
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

My dad lost my gen 1 Endura that I carried every day during Desert Shield/Storm while on a motorcycle ride.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........