PM2 tech question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

PM2 tech question

Post by awa54 »

Hi, does anyone know if the standoff and the stop pin are the same part on a current production PM2?

I think the DLT trading M390 I just received has a stop pin that is under spec for width, which is making it impossible to get typical "fall-free & flop-closed" performance without setting the pivot fairly loose. My digital caliper says they are the same diameter and that the standoff is several hundredths of a millimeter wider than the stop pin (measured in the knife, between the liners).

If they are the same material, then a swap might cure the issue, which would save this awesome knife a return trip to Golden CO.

No conjecture, please.... I'm good enough at that all on my own ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Re: PM2 tech question

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I believe they are different steels. There have been a few reports of stop pins rusting and not the standoffs and I have experienced this myself.

On the knife part supplier websites they usually list stop pins as 416 and standoffs as 303. Also, some of the parts suppliers list stop pins as being hardened.

I hope that helps, it is the best I can do. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

I've had my pm2 m390 in hand half the weekend and while the drop and pivot action is pretty smooth there is some hang up when initially depressing the compression lock.
This is my first pm2 so I don't know how normal it is, it doesn't look like the case on videos I've seen.
Anyway that's been my experience with the new knife. I'll be interested to see where your inquiry goes.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Thanks for that info Darby, it looks like the stop pin is not out of spec as all of my other PM2s measure within 0.01mm of this one between the liners at the stop pin.

No lock stick on mine, but it's acting a bit like the issue that someone here (EvilD?) described with the CQI Military, (though that was the opposite, where the stop pin was spreading the handle scales/liners, IIRC) where the slightly non-parallel liners were causing the pivot to bind when adjusted to take up all blade play.

Since the stop pin is "normal" it seems likely that the bushings are ever so slightly over thickness, so I might be able to lap them a few hundredths to fix this... there is actually a 0.2mm differential between the liner spacing on the back and opposite that in the forward choil area.

Or I could be patient, use the knife a bunch and let it wear in... after all several of my other PM2s have a slight difference between those measurements as well and they have excellent action.

Great knife by the way, I really like these semi-translucent G10 colors!
-David

holeshot

Post by holeshot »

When I got mine the blade wouldn't free fall either. I took the tork out of each side of the pivot screws, just barely backing them out. Then I added a drop of Bluelube and it now drops freely. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I had to mess around with mine quite a bit to get it to free fall consistently. At first I just loosened the pivot screws a 1/4 turn each and it was pretty good. But then I realized I had some side-to-side blade play when it was locked up. I had to tighten up the pivot almost all the way to get rid of the play. So I loosened the stop pin screws a little and then I was able to loosen the pivot a tiny bit at a time until it free drops with no blade play. All is good now and I'm quite happy with it, not that I wasn't happy before.

After playing around with the stop pin screws I started wondering when/if they'll go with the floating stop pin on the PM2 like they have on the Military and Para 3.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sharp Guy wrote:I had to mess around with mine quite a bit to get it to free fall consistently. At first I just loosened the pivot screws a 1/4 turn each and it was pretty good. But then I realized I had some side-to-side blade play when it was locked up. I had to tighten up the pivot almost all the way to get rid of the play. So I loosened the stop pin screws a little and then I was able to loosen the pivot a tiny bit at a time until it free drops with no blade play. All is good now and I'm quite happy with it, not that I wasn't happy before.

After playing around with the stop pin screws I started wondering when/if they'll go with the floating stop pin on the PM2 like they have on the Military and Para 3.
I wasn't keen on having any give in the stop pin screws, so mine is a compromise right now, with decent open/close action and a tiny bit of blade play... I expect that it will settle in after extended use, my BHQ exclusive was similar in the beginning, but now it's as good as any of the others.

Wasn't the PM2 slated to get the floating stop pin?
-David