USPS favors Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nicked.onaut

USPS favors Spydercos?

Post by nicked.onaut »

For the last couple of years I switched residential parcel deliveries to an address with a porch/front door mailbox. Early this year I started getting USPS packages on Sundays and holidays,which is nice but a bit puzzling.

I didn't want to submit a jinx query (maybe like this post?!) but I have noticed that *only* packages which include Spydercos are thus delivered. Granted, that may comprise 75% of packages, but the other 25% should show up sometimes on Sundays/holidays also. They do not.

Today I happened to be out front and saw the USPS truck approach from a distant curve. As he stopped and handed me some packages, I looked up and down the street; "Any packages for anyone else, Fred?"
"Nope, just for you, sir." (he always calls me sir... Sr. citizen, that's it.) He sped away, and a quarter mile down the road he rounded a corner without any other stops.

Sure enough: three boxes with Spydercos. Mix of Knife dealers and private party. hmm.

Tracking always shows them as "Expected delivery: Monday..." and they never flag as "Out for Delivery."

I'm not complaining. My other address for 25 years has a streetside mailbox and no Sunday delivery. A parcel pirate there led me to switch preferred delivery address--there's always someone here. (thief was caught, BTW, yeah!)

Anyone else with a similar situation?

Veteran's Day 11-11-17:

Sunday 11-12-17:

Sunday dels:

Some pics of the Veteran's Day delivery (DLC Orange Native)--haven't seen many pics on the forum:

kind regards,
nicked.onaut

https://about.usps.com/news/national-re ... 13_019.htm
The Deacon

Re: USPS favors Spydercos?

Post by The Deacon »

I know USPS has an arrangement with Amazon to do Sunday deliveries for them. My guess is that, at least sometimes, they add other parcels to the truck just to keep the carrier busy for the minimum number of hours they're required to pay them for coming in on Sunday. I've gotten Amazon stuff on Sunday a fair number of times, non-Amazon less often, but occasionally.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

At my last address which was a suburban home in a major metropolitan area I received packages on Sunday. This was packages from both UPS and USPS. The USPS delivers UPS packages on a Sunday in some metro areas.

If I remember correctly UPS outsources delivery to the USPS for Sunday delivery in some metro areas and then the USPS hires third parties to deliver. Welcome to the age of outsourcing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I read that Amazon has mostly switched to USPS to save money on deliveries. It costs US taxpayers about $1.50 per package, so we're all subsidizing Amazon. I suspect UPS using the USPS for last mile delivery also costs us money on every package. A real business would change their price structure once they figured it out or they would go broke. Sadly, the USPS won't do the first and can't do the second ... the only rational solution is to order everything online, so as to get your fair share of the subsidy. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not everywhere gaj999. I have been in my new home for over a year and I have had 100% of my Amazon orders come UPS or FedEx and I have not had the USPS handle delivery of any packages for either one of them. I shop online a lot due to my rural location.

I think a lot of the cooperation going on between these entities is going on in major metropolitan areas.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

The Deacon wrote:I know USPS has an arrangement with Amazon to do Sunday deliveries for them. My guess is that, at least sometimes, they add other parcels to the truck just to keep the carrier busy for the minimum number of hours they're required to pay them for coming in on Sunday. I've gotten Amazon stuff on Sunday a fair number of times, non-Amazon less often, but occasionally.
Thanks for all the replies and info. Good to see others getting Sunday deliveries.

I have seen the Amazon marked truck deliver on Sundays (neighbors are big Amazon acolytes). I don't use Amazon, and these pkgs are from Spyderco dealers e.g. BHQ, GPK, CS, KW, KC, DLT etc. and private party USPS.

None have been the partnered UPS/USPS nor FedEx/USPS hybrids, which have taken much longer for delivery, like a scorned stepchild. One such FedEx/USPS item took six days to arrive from 32 miles away, via a 600+ mile route. I thought it was headed to Erlanger, KY (the shipping black hole--yikes! IYKWIM).

I'll talk with my mailman for further info.

kind regards,
a n.on
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Not everywhere gaj999. I have been in my new home for over a year and I have had 100% of my Amazon orders come UPS or FedEx and I have not had the USPS handle delivery of any packages for either one of them. I shop online a lot due to my rural location.

I think a lot of the cooperation going on between these entities is going on in major metropolitan areas.
That's not necessarily true. I live pretty rural and a lot of my amazon packages get dropped of at the Post Office for final delivery.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Where did you find that orange DLC Native?
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

wolfgaze wrote:Where did you find that orange DLC Native?
Cutlery Shoppe. See the pen for website.
Jeff also sends the Tootsie Pops, but like Chief Dan George's rock candy crystal, "...(they're) not for eating, just for looking at (through)."

kind regards,
a n.on
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

nicked.onaut wrote: Cutlery Shoppe. See the pen for website.
Jeff also sends the Tootsie Pops, but like Chief Dan George's rock candy crystal, "...(they're) not for eating, just for looking at (through)."

kind regards,
a n.on
Thanks...

How do you like the feel and texture of the scales on those Native's?