Para-Manix-tary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Para-Manix-tary 2

Post by Surfingringo »

Sooo, I did a little project today. I have had a Maxamet Manix 2 for awhile now and it has been mostly living in a drawer gathering dust. This is not my first Manix and I have had a hard time warming up to the model. I think the main problem for me is I just don't like leaf shaped blades that much. I much prefer a straighter spine and sharper point like on the Millie/pm2. I have been thinking for quite some time that the Manix would be a good prospect for a blade profile change and today I finally went for it.

I actually spent a good deal of time on some sketch software redrawing this blade profile trying to find the most useful shape for me that still was at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing. I drew it with a straight spine all the way from tip to jimping and that looked a little too slim for this knife. I looked at choosing a point in front of the spydiehole and going straight spine from there to tip. I even considered keeping a leaf shape and just flattening the curve a bit. In the end, I chose a point at the forward edge of the spydiehole and took the spine almost flat from there to the tip. It still has a slight curve that keeps it looking a little "fuller" than if I had gone fully flat on the spine. What I discovered in my drawings was the the Manix is a very complete and well thought out design in which every line fits well with the rest of the knife. It was surprisingly difficult to modify the spine without making the knife look wonky. I'd say my end result doesn't look quite as refined as the original design but I am VERY pleased with the functionality so far and I know that the knife will now get WAY more carry and use than it ever did with that big leaf blade.

In case anyone is curious, I taped the blade as a marker and used a flat grinder to grind the spine down to the top of the tape. I didn't have much time with the grinder so I quickly blended the transition point right in front of the hole but you can still see a bit of a bump there. I might smooth that out one day but I doubt it. This job was more about the "go" than the "show". I did polish the spine out with some 180 sandpaper and rounded the edges to match the rest of the spine. The spine now looks slightly shinier but I'm sure that will blend in nicely with a little patina. All in all I'm a happy camper with my new Para-Manix-tary. :D

gingerninja

Re: Para-Manix-tary 2

Post by gingerninja »

Looks good. Sort of still broad but nice and pointy at the same time. I'd imagine it would be quite useful.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Looks real good, mod-bro. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Very nice! I saw some pics of a ManixXL with a straight spine but this is the first I have seen a Manix2.

Nice acute tip!

How was the Maxamet to grind?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Very subtle.
Something most probably wouldn't even notice at a first glance.
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Very nice! I saw some pics of a ManixXL with a straight spine but this is the first I have seen a Manix2.

Nice acute tip!

How was the Maxamet to grind?
P.I.T.A. Seriously, it was pretty slow even on a grinder. A VERY noticeable difference from the H1 that I am normally grinding like this.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpeedHoles wrote:Very subtle.
Thanks man. I suppose it is, but if you hold this one up to a stock Manix you see that I actually removed quite a bit of metal. I considered going full flat like on a pm2 but it just didn't look right on that knife in the drawings I did. I tried to strike a balance between getting the function I wanted and not having it look off balance.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Surfingringo wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Very subtle.
Thanks man. I suppose it is, but if you hold this one up to a stock Manix you see that I actually removed quite a bit of metal. I considered going full flat like on a pm2 but it just didn't look right on that knife in the drawings I did. I tried to strike a balance between getting the function I wanted and not having it look off balance.

Yep, subtle mods are usually the best mods. When most people can't even tell it's modified from a factory design, it means it looks like it's supposed to. ;)
Going back to Caly.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Nice!! :cool:
Chris :spyder:
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

It's obvious you have the talent and the tools, well done!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Good work Lance, that came out looking very nice!
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Nicely done, Lance.
Subtle but effective.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This is the stock Manix.

This is what the Manix would look like if the spine is taken fully flat.

This is about where I am now.

Mine is actually a little flatter than this last photo. I might go a little further but I’m going to use it awhile first. It’s a lot easier to take more metal off than it is to put it back on.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here is a thread with pics of a reground XL.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hom ... t-17618627
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

Did you think about adding a swedge, Lance?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ncmiked wrote:Did you think about adding a swedge, Lance?
Nah, I’ve never been a big lover of swedges.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I like it. I may have some of mine ground like that when I get them reground for a thinner edge.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I can also see a nod to the Native in the blade shape you chose! Looks awesome man, congrats!