Must-have Millies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Must-have Millies?

Post by vivi »

Looks better with a black clip in my opinion.

My favorite Millie so far is the CPMD2 run, followed by the CTS204P, then DLC S30V.

You seem worried about corrosion so why not the DLC Military? They're nearly as rust proof as a Pacific Salt outside of extreme situations like being completely submerged in salt water.

What's offensive about a serrated knife?
:unicorn
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Vivi wrote:You seem worried about corrosion so why not the DLC Military?

I'm not worried about corrosion generally. I am concerned about steels that people here have said are prone to rusting or pitting, in a folding knife.
Vivi wrote:What's offensive about a serrated knife?
I can't answer your questions because they missed the point of what I said.

The Military is a general purpose knife, to me SE is a bad choice for that and reduces the general usefulness of the Military. That is offensive. ;)

In a bread knife full serrations are good. In almost every other application full serrations are inappropriate
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Midnightrider wrote:
Vivi wrote:You seem worried about corrosion so why not the DLC Military?

I'm not worried about corrosion generally. I am concerned about steels that people here have said are prone to rusting or pitting, in a folding knife.
Vivi wrote:What's offensive about a serrated knife?
I can't answer your questions because they missed the point of what I said.

The Military is a general purpose knife, to me SE is a bad choice for that and reduces the general usefulness of the Military. That is offensive. ;)

In a bread knife full serrations are good. In almost every other application full serrations are inappropriate
Alright maybe the DLC would be overkill. I'm usually quick to find corrosion on uncoated blades and so far the CTS204P Military of mine has remained corrosion free.

I find SE nice for rope, cardboard, tubing, zip ties etc but to each their own. SE Millies are more uncommon anyways.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Midnightrider wrote:
Evil D wrote:M4 and 52100 are my favorites.
I have read a bunch of your posts where you said you loved your 52100 and I get the impression you work outdoors. Is rust an issue on these steels in a folder? I don't live in a humid place but I get the creeps thinking about rust where I can't see it.

It absolutely is an issue even when it's summer and nice out. I can make it rust just from body sweat in my pocket. I just keep up on oiling the blade (usually Vaseline) and polish off any corrosion that develops. I kinda like the challenge and attention that a carbon blade needs. When I'm feeling lazy or I know it's gonna be raining all day I might carry another steel but it does get a lot of pocket time. I also keep the pivot and tang covered in bearing grease so I don't have to worry so much about rust in those areas.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Post by jdw »

I threw in with Cruwear earlier because it is such a great steel but in reading more of your posts I would suggest the 52100. It's actually my favorite Millie. It sharpens to a razor pretty easily and devlops a patina really fast. That should help with the high humidity but it does require some maintenance.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

52100, cruwear, m4, 204p and s90v are still available. Also the both ti models (s30v) are on closeout sales and knifeworks still has their s90v with cf and ti. All of them are either sprints, exclusives or discontinued so if you are a collector it's not hard to argue that they are all must have millies
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

gingerninja wrote:52100, cruwear, m4, 204p and s90v are still available. Also the both ti models (s30v) are on closeout sales and knifeworks still has their s90v with cf and ti. All of them are either sprints, exclusives or discontinued so if you are a collector it's not hard to argue that they are all must have millies
Any known-good shops stocking the 52100 and Cru-Wear?
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

jdw wrote:I threw in with Cruwear earlier because it is such a great steel but in reading more of your posts I would suggest the 52100. It's actually my favorite Millie. It sharpens to a razor pretty easily and devlops a patina really fast. That should help with the high humidity but it does require some maintenance.
Not sure who this post was directed to... I don't live in a humid area. I have in the past though. Again, I'm just wondering about relatively rust or pit prone steel in an expensive folder. Whatever you guys are paying we pay around 2x the price
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Evil D wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:
I have read a bunch of your posts where you said you loved your 52100 and I get the impression you work outdoors. Is rust an issue on these steels in a folder? I don't live in a humid place but I get the creeps thinking about rust where I can't see it.

It absolutely is an issue even when it's summer and nice out. I can make it rust just from body sweat in my pocket. I just keep up on oiling the blade (usually Vaseline) and polish off any corrosion that develops. I kinda like the challenge and attention that a carbon blade needs. When I'm feeling lazy or I know it's gonna be raining all day I might carry another steel but it does get a lot of pocket time. I also keep the pivot and tang covered in bearing grease so I don't have to worry so much about rust in those areas.
Thank you. How easy are these to disassemble?
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Knivesplus has the 52100. Don't want to start anything here but bentoboxshop has both. There's probably others but those 2 came up in a quick search.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Midnightrider wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:

Thank you. How easy are these to disassemble?
Pretty easy as Spyderco goes. The lanyard tubes are usually flared at the ends and can be a pain to get out but you don't have to take it all the way apart to clean and grease the pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
brj

Post by brj »

I'm particularly fond of my S90V and M390 pairs - the frame M390 is a frankenspyder though, but anyway :)
Both steels are as stainless as it gets (no corrosion or pitting on mine, over years of carry and use).

roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I'm still sick due to passing up on the Fluted Ti, that was recently on sale at KC. My attentions are now directed to the KnifeWorks Spyderco C36CFTIP Ti Military, which I'll probably wait till its too late as well.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My favorites are : ( not in any order)

1) Cruwear
2) Ti CPM M4
3) 52100
4) BG 42
5) Tied between M390/CTS 204P and S110V. They might as well be interchangeable as far as my liking them I can't say I prefer one over the other. S90V is really, really close and I wouldn't complain if I had to accept it. It would be a terrible position to be in huh? :)

If I could only have one I'd probably select the Cruwear though 52100 is right there too.

All secondary market. I think I see the Cruwear most often for sale but it may be because the word itself grabs my attention more than any other steel listed.

Joe
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

gingerninja wrote:Knivesplus has the 52100. Don't want to start anything here but bentoboxshop has both. There's probably others but those 2 came up in a quick search.
"On a trial basis, we are making all of our products available to international buyers. The cost for shipping and handling is $45.95 USD to Canada and $65.95 USD to all of the other countries for one (1) to two (2) knives via United States Postal Service (USPS) Express Mail International/EMS"

The few times I bought from outfitter country I paid around $12.50 for shipping. So I don't feel bento is a reasonable option
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The BladeHQ exclusive Military M4 with Natural G-10 is still available.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

RamZar wrote:The BladeHQ exclusive Military M4 with Natural G-10 is still available.
Yeah I know, thanks. I'm in the process of ordering one now. Requires human involvement on their end since you can't buy from them from here using the website.

I just picked up my k390 P4 at the post office. I have to stop this before my wallet catches on fire :o
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Knifeworks Exclusive Military CPM-S90V with Carbon Fiber/Titanium Handle and R.I.L Lock is on sale for just $229.95.

https://www.knifeworks.com/kw-exclusive ... usive.html
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd have to agree with Joe, toss up between the CruWear and 52100, with the KW's exclusive and fluted Ti close behind.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Midnightrider wrote:I have the Military in S110v and cts-204p so far. What are the other must-haves that are currently available?
If you want a Cruwear Millie, look in Bento Box
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo