Maxamet PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DJ

Re: Maxamet PM2

Post by DJ »

Is KC the only place that has them ????
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wanimator wrote:Has anyone sharpened them and experienced the catastrophic Apex degradation that has been all over YouTube?
Do you know what kind of stone they are using to sharpen with?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Looks good. I'm debating canceling my order at KC and just getting it when another one pops up.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Donut wrote:
Wanimator wrote:Has anyone sharpened them and experienced the catastrophic Apex degradation that has been all over YouTube?
Do you know what kind of stone they are using to sharpen with?
Wicked edge and various? I'm unsure because people don't like to give variables with their statements very much.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Received mine yesterday and I absolutely love the finish and all the softening of the hard edges they did on the blade. Mine is fairly sharp but definitely appears to be set at a higher angle than the typical 17 dps Spyderco supposedly uses with their crazy robot there. Clearly they have some great “experience” with this metal and it’s special nature necessitated this extra treatment. As others have noted, the gray G10 scales are identical to that on the Cruwear sprint (which I really like!) but this blade called for a special set of scales that I’ve been reserving for it! These are Casey Lynch custom Ti scales that he had available for a short time several years ago. These are really neat because they’re a single liner delete - in that you use only the SS lockbar that is nested into a cutout in the Ti scale. The other side is full Ti which Casey engineered the D-shaped pivot hole directly in the scale. This makes these scales lighter than Ti scales offered by Flytanium, Ripps, etc. (where you have to use both SS liners on each side). The sweetest part is this particular knife has the absolute best action of all my PM2s, and just flies open and shut! Thanks so much Sal and Eric, this one is a forever knife in my collection for sure! Cheers, Radioactive :)

Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Found some time today and reprofiled to 17dps... I'm far from an expert (mostly a novice), but I gotta say that this is some of the easiest steel to reprofile that I've sharpened. Reprofiled with 400 grit and ended with 3000 just cause it was so enjoyable. Seriously, S30v is harder to sharpen. The sound it makes and the way it grabs the stones is different than anything I've experienced. Maybe it was dumb luck but I didn't have any issues getting it stupid sharp. Now on to the fun part of seeing how it holds this hair whittling edge :) :spyder:

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I talked to my friend who sells knives in the sooner state and he said he will have them on Monday.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

abbazaba wrote:Found some time today and reprofiled to 17dps... I'm far from an expert (mostly a novice), but I gotta say that this is some of the easiest steel to reprofile that I've sharpened. Reprofiled with 400 grit and ended with 3000 just cause it was so enjoyable. Seriously, S30v is harder to sharpen. The sound it makes and the way it grabs the stones is different than anything I've experienced. Maybe it was dumb luck but I didn't have any issues getting it stupid sharp. Now on to the fun part of seeing how it holds this hair whittling edge :) :spyder:

Nice, what stones?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Nice, what stones?
WE
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

abbazaba wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Nice, what stones?
WE
Which ones? I'm not familiar with the Wicked Edge.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Deadboxhero wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Nice, what stones?
WE
Which ones? I'm not familiar with the Wicked Edge.
I usually try to start with 400 grit diamond if possible, and it cut the Maxamet like butter. So diamond 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500. Then ceramic 1200, 1600. Followed by my poor man's lapping films: 2000, 2500, 3000 grit sandpaper mounted to the glass blank. I have some of the WE strops, but I actually really like how the mounted sandpaper performs. It doesn't give me quite the same mirror, but that's fine with me. One of these days I'll pick up the WE micro fine ceramics which I think I would like.

The new 2017 vise has been a revelation for me. I free handed with mild success most of my life, followed by the ease of the Sharpmaker. But reprofiling jobs would take me a very long time, even with the coarse diamond rods. Never liked the Lansky, and I never found my groove with the Edge Pro. Initially, the WE was a bit of a frustration because even after a long careful setup process it was not necessarily going to hold the blade firm and true. The 2017 vise completely fixed all of my reservations about the product. Now mounting a blade rock solid and perfectly vertical is dead simple. If the original WE system had shipped with this clamp it would have a lot more users.

Over the past few months I've been sharping a lot and doing jobs I had been putting off. I had just done an old S30v PM2 beater of mine earlier this week, and the diamonds cut it much slower than the Maxamet. Same goes for everything I've done in the past few months aside from a VG10 Endura.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing compared to people who are super educated in steel composition and sharpening materials, but I've had great success using this progression on many steels including M4, K390, S110v, Elmax, XHP etc. Still never had to reprofile ZDP189 though.

Up to this point I had only done Sharpmaker touchups on the Maxamet LW models, and I still didn't have much of an opinion on Maxamet... So far K390 is the closest I've come to dethroning M4, but having this knife at my benchmark 17dps edge is going to give me a much better idea of how it performs, and I already feel much more familiar with it after taking the time to make it mine.

Sorry for the story! Hope this helps!
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

abbazaba wrote:Found some time today and reprofiled to 17dps... I'm far from an expert (mostly a novice), but I gotta say that this is some of the easiest steel to reprofile that I've sharpened. Reprofiled with 400 grit and ended with 3000 just cause it was so enjoyable. Seriously, S30v is harder to sharpen. The sound it makes and the way it grabs the stones is different than anything I've experienced. Maybe it was dumb luck but I didn't have any issues getting it stupid sharp. Now on to the fun part of seeing how it holds this hair whittling edge :) :spyder:

I am so glad that someone else found Maxamet fairly easy to work with. I have a native 5 that I put a slight convex towards the tip to add strength, as well as fixing a micro chip from a drop, and it was fairly easy and somewhat quick using DMT diamond stones. It is diamond, but as compared to other steels, not as bad as it has been made out by some.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been using and sharpening my ManixLW in Maxamet for a year now without any issues. I have used it quite hard. A couple days ago I was trimming up the edges of some plywood with it and it held up great. I have been maintaining it with diamonds and ceramics at 30 degrees, sometimes inclusive and sometimes with a small micro-bevel. I have used the Mule as well but not as much as the ManixLW. I have had zero durability issues with either one.

I still cannot wrap my head around how it holds an edge like it does while sharpening easier than some other extremely wear resistant steels. I am glad that the Para2 has been released because that means that we are one step closer to seeing the Maxamet Military. Bring it on!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Very nice Paul! Great pics!
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Received mine yesterday and I absolutely love the finish and all the softening of the hard edges they did on the blade. Mine is fairly sharp but definitely appears to be set at a higher angle than the typical 17 dps Spyderco supposedly uses with their crazy robot there. Clearly they have some great “experience” with this metal and it’s special nature necessitated this extra treatment. As others have noted, the gray G10 scales are identical to that on the Cruwear sprint (which I really like!) but this blade called for a special set of scales that I’ve been reserving for it! These are Casey Lynch custom Ti scales that he had available for a short time several years ago. These are really neat because they’re a single liner delete - in that you use only the SS lockbar that is nested into a cutout in the Ti scale. The other side is full Ti which Casey engineered the D-shaped pivot hole directly in the scale. This makes these scales lighter than Ti scales offered by Flytanium, Ripps, etc. (where you have to use both SS liners on each side). The sweetest part is this particular knife has the absolute best action of all my PM2s, and just flies open and shut! Thanks so much Sal and Eric, this one is a forever knife in my collection for sure! Cheers, Radioactive :)

Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

All nice messages, looking forward to get one and take it into service....
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:....Followed by my poor man's lapping films: 2000, 2500, 3000 grit sandpaper mounted to the glass blank. I have some of the WE strops, but I actually really like how the mounted sandpaper performs.
I'm curious what kind of adhesive you use to mount the sandpaper to the glass blank. I have a glass blank coming along with some polishing tape but I also have some non-adhesive polishing film and some fine sandpaper that I might want to try.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
abbazaba wrote:....Followed by my poor man's lapping films: 2000, 2500, 3000 grit sandpaper mounted to the glass blank. I have some of the WE strops, but I actually really like how the mounted sandpaper performs.
I'm curious what kind of adhesive you use to mount the sandpaper to the glass blank. I have a glass blank coming along with some polishing tape but I also have some non-adhesive polishing film and some fine sandpaper that I might want to try.
I use scotch double sided tape with great success in Wicked Edge glass platens. For easier removal, I run the pieces of tape a little longer than the glass blank and fold over top/bottom of the handle, not to interfere with the guide rod.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Scotch double sided tape here as well. Good tip on running them longer than the blank.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Scotch double sided tape here as well. Good tip on running them longer than the blank.
Thanks guys! That was my thinking too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!