CPM M4 vs K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

CPM M4 vs K390

Post by toomzz »

How does M4 compares to K390? We can all read the ingredients from the steelchart but how do they compare in praxis?
M4 is my favorite but I really starting to like K390....
bearfacedkiller

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Post by bearfacedkiller »

K390 is a bit more wear resistant. Neither one is very stainless. I cannot comment on toughness except to say that I have had no issue with either one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Darby when you say it is more wear resistant what does that mean in terms of how it works. Can you feel a difference? I'm halfway ready to cough up for the bladehq m4 Millie
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Both are good, M4 seems to corrode a bit faster in my use. K390 has only patina'd for me whereas M4, I think, can actually rust.

K390 holds an edge better, M4 should be tougher. I find K390 tough enough, in my uses, where I haven't needed or desired more, but I haven't sharpened it enough or done enough damage to know for sure.

The patina K390 takes kicks it a notch above, for me.
bearfacedkiller

Midnightrider wrote:Darby when you say it is more wear resistant what does that mean in terms of how it works. Can you feel a difference? I'm halfway ready to cough up for the bladehq m4 Millie
I have four Spydies in M4 and have quite a bit of experience with it. I have just the Police4 in K390 and have used it a limited amount. I have however used my K2 extensively and it is in 10V which is similar to K390 so I am also drawing my opinions from that as well just to let you know where I am coming from.

They are both very wear resistant steels with lots of carbide formers and both hold an edge well but K390 will hold an edge a little longer and take a little longer to sharpen. Honestly, if you are trying to decide between the Police4 and that Military you cannot go wrong with either and you should just get whichever model you like better rather than focusing too much on the steel in my opinion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I cannot comment on M4 but I would like to see more knives in K390 based on my experience with it thus far.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I think it's easier to get that sticky sharp feel with K390.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks guys. I have a couple of Millies already, just wasn't sure if I should get the m4 version. I ordered the Police 4 k390 already, it's just a matter of whether it will ever end. :confused:
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:I cannot comment on M4 butI would like to see more knives in K390 based on my experience with it thus far.
^ That
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

both are great.
I have several in M4 incl pm2 & mili and you cannot go wrong if you like thosemodels.
But we need more k390 in the mix ;)
I suggest a sprint Lum tanto folder :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ncmiked wrote:I think it's easier to get that sticky sharp feel with K390.
I haven't tried K390 yet but I've had a few in M4 and it's one of my favorite steels, partly because of how easily I can get it really sharp so I find this to be pretty encouraging.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

K390 really holds an edge well, and it does not rust as easily as a lot of non-stainless steels do. I do keep a light (I mean, so light you cannot see it) coat of Vaseline on mine that I wash off before eating apples. So far, all I have for discoloration is a light golden brass color that you have to look close to see. The steel holds an edge for a looonng time, but I did not find it too difficult to bring back to high sharpness once a touch up was needed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Man, oh man, I wish they release a PM2/Para3 in K390 :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I have a few m4s and 2 k390s, both are excellent knife steels and at the top of my list.
K390 keeps an edge slightly longer with certain uses. It's a little more corrosion resistant and much less prone to pitting. A little less tough and takes slightly longer to sharpen.
They both take any type of edge you want from very coarse to polished, and perform well with all of them.

There's very few steels I feel this way about but, I would be happy with either one as my only blade.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I absolutely love M4 and have used it extensively with multiple models across brands. However, the Police 4 is the the only K390 I've used. I reprofiled it to 17dps and enjoy the way it sharpens and cuts. Can't really draw any comparisons because I've only had K390 in one knife for a couple months, but I would love to see some Golden model sprints in K390 ASAP! Hopefully the Seki sprints they are working on right now are K390.

toomzz

Post by toomzz »

abbazaba wrote:I absolutely love M4 and have used it extensively with multiple models across brands. However, the Police 4 is the the only K390 I've used. I reprofiled it to 17dps and enjoy the way it sharpens and cuts. Can't really draw any comparisons because I've only had K390 in one knife for a couple months, but I would love to see some Golden model sprints in K390 ASAP! Hopefully the Seki sprints they are working on right now are K390.

100% agree....
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:
I haven't tried K390 yet but I've had a few in M4 and it's one of my favorite steels, partly because of how easily I can get it really sharp so I find this to be pretty encouraging.
You need to, brother. Like you, I’m a huge M4 fan, but K390? Even better.

Ken
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

kbuzbee wrote:
Evil D wrote:
You need to, brother. Like you, I’m a huge M4 fan, but K390? Even better.

Ken
Ken, I do have the same feeling; that K390 will knock M4 off its throne. That is why I started this thread in the first place. I really like the steel, despite lack of experience with it yet and there isn't room for any other knife in my pocket since I got this Police. Still love M4 though.... :rolleyes:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Is K390 the M4 killer? It is a fantastic steel.

And YES! A Military in K390 would be awesome!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Doc Dan wrote: A Military in K390 would be awesome!
Yes! A K390 Military would be great!

Honestly anything in that class will work. A11, 10V, K390 or K294 all sound good to me.
-Darby