CPM M4 vs K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
toomzz
Member
Posts: 1354
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Netherlands Earth

CPM M4 vs K390

Postby toomzz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:53 am

How does M4 compares to K390? We can all read the ingredients from the steelchart but how do they compare in praxis?
M4 is my favorite but I really starting to like K390....

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9031
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 pm

K390 is a bit more wear resistant. Neither one is very stainless. I cannot comment on toughness except to say that I have had no issue with either one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

Midnightrider
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:11 am
Location: CZ

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Midnightrider » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Darby when you say it is more wear resistant what does that mean in terms of how it works. Can you feel a difference? I'm halfway ready to cough up for the bladehq m4 Millie
Millies in CTS-204p and S110v, PM2 S110v, Native 5 Maxamet, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt H1 SE x2, UK PK
Wishlist: Maxamet Millie, Cru-Wear Millie, Manix 2 Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Blurple Millie in my suit pocket :)

Cujobob
Member
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Cujobob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Both are good, M4 seems to corrode a bit faster in my use. K390 has only patina'd for me whereas M4, I think, can actually rust.

K390 holds an edge better, M4 should be tougher. I find K390 tough enough, in my uses, where I haven't needed or desired more, but I haven't sharpened it enough or done enough damage to know for sure.

The patina K390 takes kicks it a notch above, for me.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9031
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Midnightrider wrote:Darby when you say it is more wear resistant what does that mean in terms of how it works. Can you feel a difference? I'm halfway ready to cough up for the bladehq m4 Millie
I have four Spydies in M4 and have quite a bit of experience with it. I have just the Police4 in K390 and have used it a limited amount. I have however used my K2 extensively and it is in 10V which is similar to K390 so I am also drawing my opinions from that as well just to let you know where I am coming from.

They are both very wear resistant steels with lots of carbide formers and both hold an edge well but K390 will hold an edge a little longer and take a little longer to sharpen. Honestly, if you are trying to decide between the Police4 and that Military you cannot go wrong with either and you should just get whichever model you like better rather than focusing too much on the steel in my opinion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 7812
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Doc Dan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:59 pm

I cannot comment on M4 but I would like to see more knives in K390 based on my experience with it thus far.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

Ncmiked
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Ncmiked » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 pm

I think it's easier to get that sticky sharp feel with K390.

Midnightrider
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:11 am
Location: CZ

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Midnightrider » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks guys. I have a couple of Millies already, just wasn't sure if I should get the m4 version. I ordered the Police 4 k390 already, it's just a matter of whether it will ever end. :confused:
Millies in CTS-204p and S110v, PM2 S110v, Native 5 Maxamet, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt H1 SE x2, UK PK
Wishlist: Maxamet Millie, Cru-Wear Millie, Manix 2 Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Blurple Millie in my suit pocket :)

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2583
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby elena86 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:51 am

Doc Dan wrote:I cannot comment on M4 butI would like to see more knives in K390 based on my experience with it thus far.
^ That
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

dogrunner
Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby dogrunner » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:06 am

both are great.
I have several in M4 incl pm2 & mili and you cannot go wrong if you like thosemodels.
But we need more k390 in the mix ;)
I suggest a sprint Lum tanto folder :)

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20637
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Evil D » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 am

Ncmiked wrote:I think it's easier to get that sticky sharp feel with K390.
I haven't tried K390 yet but I've had a few in M4 and it's one of my favorite steels, partly because of how easily I can get it really sharp so I find this to be pretty encouraging.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 7812
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Doc Dan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 am

K390 really holds an edge well, and it does not rust as easily as a lot of non-stainless steels do. I do keep a light (I mean, so light you cannot see it) coat of Vaseline on mine that I wash off before eating apples. So far, all I have for discoloration is a light golden brass color that you have to look close to see. The steel holds an edge for a looonng time, but I did not find it too difficult to bring back to high sharpness once a touch up was needed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2583
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby elena86 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 am

Man, oh man, I wish they release a PM2/Para3 in K390 :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

User avatar
jpm2
Member
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: TX - in the sticks

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby jpm2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 am

I have a few m4s and 2 k390s, both are excellent knife steels and at the top of my list.
K390 keeps an edge slightly longer with certain uses. It's a little more corrosion resistant and much less prone to pitting. A little less tough and takes slightly longer to sharpen.
They both take any type of edge you want from very coarse to polished, and perform well with all of them.

There's very few steels I feel this way about but, I would be happy with either one as my only blade.

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3006
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby abbazaba » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:59 am

I absolutely love M4 and have used it extensively with multiple models across brands. However, the Police 4 is the the only K390 I've used. I reprofiled it to 17dps and enjoy the way it sharpens and cuts. Can't really draw any comparisons because I've only had K390 in one knife for a couple months, but I would love to see some Golden model sprints in K390 ASAP! Hopefully the Seki sprints they are working on right now are K390.

Image

User avatar
toomzz
Member
Posts: 1354
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Netherlands Earth

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby toomzz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 am

abbazaba wrote:I absolutely love M4 and have used it extensively with multiple models across brands. However, the Police 4 is the the only K390 I've used. I reprofiled it to 17dps and enjoy the way it sharpens and cuts. Can't really draw any comparisons because I've only had K390 in one knife for a couple months, but I would love to see some Golden model sprints in K390 ASAP! Hopefully the Seki sprints they are working on right now are K390.

Image
100% agree....

User avatar
kbuzbee
Member
Posts: 4762
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Mentor, OH

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby kbuzbee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Evil D wrote:
I haven't tried K390 yet but I've had a few in M4 and it's one of my favorite steels, partly because of how easily I can get it really sharp so I find this to be pretty encouraging.
You need to, brother. Like you, I’m a huge M4 fan, but K390? Even better.

Ken

User avatar
toomzz
Member
Posts: 1354
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Netherlands Earth

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby toomzz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:35 am

kbuzbee wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I haven't tried K390 yet but I've had a few in M4 and it's one of my favorite steels, partly because of how easily I can get it really sharp so I find this to be pretty encouraging.
You need to, brother. Like you, I’m a huge M4 fan, but K390? Even better.

Ken
Ken, I do have the same feeling; that K390 will knock M4 off its throne. That is why I started this thread in the first place. I really like the steel, despite lack of experience with it yet and there isn't room for any other knife in my pocket since I got this Police. Still love M4 though.... :rolleyes:

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 7812
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 am

Is K390 the M4 killer? It is a fantastic steel.

And YES! A Military in K390 would be awesome!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9031
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: CPM M4 vs K390

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am

Doc Dan wrote: A Military in K390 would be awesome!
Yes! A K390 Military would be great!

Honestly anything in that class will work. A11, 10V, K390 or K294 all sound good to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AwayFromMySpydieHole, bbturbodad, DirtMcGirt, Google [Bot], GrandallK, gull wing, MSN [Bot], tyd450, Vivi, Wartstein and 48 guests