Any interest in a PM2 with LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Any interest in a PM2 with LC200N

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sal, whether it makes business sense on your end of things is yet to be seen. I realize you can't make all of my knife dreams a reality :D (You do a pretty darn good job though)But from my end as the consumer, if you are going to invest money in developing new "salt" options, my vote would be for you to invest that money modifying and developing the existing Golden Models rather than a new design. Instead of hoping a new salt knife will be 'like' the pm2 or para 3, I'd rather just have pm2 or para3 salt I already know I will love. Even if it means they are changed considerably from their original design, i.e. changes to the hardware, lock type, liners, ect.

*It's one of the reasons I thought upgrading the Tasman with Delica handles was such a good idea. I know the delica handle (I own 3 + a trainer), even though I haven't handled the new Tasman yet, I already know what it will feel like in hand (aside from weight/balance). Having that familiar shape makes me much more likely to buy it as opposed to a new Tasman with a new handle I've never had any experience with.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Dunno if I've replies but I'd snag one.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

sal wrote:SSSsssooooo....I have a question. When you say you would like to see model ABC with a blade from LC200N. Is that because you are interested in that particular blade steel as a blade?................or are you thinking that that would make it a "Salt" version?

sal
Both. There are models where just the blade in LC200N PE would suffice (for me e.g. Little Native Compression Lock, which would be a work EDC (am an attorney) so it would cut up fruit, open packages, etc., and the rust proofness of the blade would be great for minimal daily maintenance and not having to worry about corrosion from contact with food; and the Para 3/PM2 line, as camping knives) and models where the full Salt treatment and LC200N PE blade would be better (for me e.g. DF2 and D4 FFG/Salt 2, which would be my pool/beach-going/surfing/kayaking knives) (I live in an island in the Caribbean), because the knives may get submerged in water, including sea water, frequently and/or for relatively long periods (couple of hours).
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

In reply to Sal, I'd love a ParaSalt.
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

If they can make the Caribbean then why couldn't they Salt-ize the PM2? Both are comp lock folders with, 2 screws on the scales, nested steel liners, barrel lined lanyard holes, and hourglass clips. You just use the same materials and hardware on the PM2 that's being used on the Caribbean.

The PM2 is a more, let's call it palatable design and might be the most loved Spyderco folder ever made. It would sell like gangbusters for sure. As for reasons the PM2 might be more desirable? The Caribbean is slightly heavier, with unknown ergos, and the scale design and/or colors are not pleasing to everyone from what I've read here and on other forums.

I personally would enjoy yellow digicam more, as plain yellow G-10 is dull. I'm all in for a Para-Salt or a Salt-Manix 2 LW with translucent yellow FRCP! Or a FRN or FRCP Para-Salt, now that really gets my wallet cooking. I'd be ecstatic with just a FRN or FRCP PM2! On second thought maybe they shouldn't make them, a Salt or FRN/FRCP PM2 would mean Spyderco Hoovering more money out of my wallet :D
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

The Carribean's ergonomics weren't fantastic to me.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Any news on this front? Grail knife for many!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

LC200N on a Para2/Salt Para2 would be interesting, LC200N Millie would be even more interesting, from what Sal says I understand this is unlikely so I will settle for a Caribbean
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I think full salt versions of the PM2, Para3, Millie, Manix, Native, etc. with LC200N and yellow G10, black g10, and maybe some blue dayglow g10 (as a sprint or dealer exclusive) would have been much more popular than the Carribean series. The scales on the Carribean are ugly (sorry Sal), they are made in Taiwan, and they are new models. A lot of people like to collect most or all of a certain model like the PM2, Millie, Manix etc and a Salt version would be another must have. I'd be all over any Salt version of a Golden model in Yellow or Day Glow Blue G10. If there were multiple serration options that would be even better. Maybe I don't know what the **** i'm talking about but that just my opinion. I really think a Salt line of the Golden models is an untapped market with a ton of potential.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:I think full salt versions of the PM2, Para3, Millie, Manix, Native, etc. with LC200N and yellow G10, black g10, and maybe some blue dayglow g10 (as a sprint or dealer exclusive) would have been much more popular than the Carribean series. The scales on the Carribean are ugly (sorry Sal), they are made in Taiwan, and they are new models. A lot of people like to collect most or all of a certain model like the PM2, Millie, Manix etc and a Salt version would be another must have. I'd be all over any Salt version of a Golden model in Yellow or Day Glow Blue G10. If there were multiple serration options that would be even better. Maybe I don't know what the **** i'm talking about but that just my opinion. I really think a Salt line of the Golden models is an untapped market with a ton of potential.

Oh, and one more thing. I think we forget that there is a lot of people outside our forum bubble here who just want a quality user knife that is low maintenance and made in the USA. A lot of people want to be able to use their knife outdoors, at the beach, etc. and put it away without fear of it rusting. Golden made LC200N salts fit the bill perfectly. Especially the iconic and legendary PM2. I would guess it would sell like gangbusters.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

To Sal's question about whether LC200N desire == "Salt" knife desire, I don't think so. I think LC200N is a great 'all-arounder' steel, with favorable characteristics for use and sharpening and performance even in the desert, and the advantage that it can be 'driven hard and put to bed wet', even in salty conditions, without trouble. And there's not much 'downside' to it relative to other midrange steels (e.g. S30V, XHP), from my perspective.

Not knowing the economics of this particular steel, but I wouldn't mind seeing it used like S30V and XHP are used now, as a great generalist steel, across the lineup. It's a very impressive piece for general purpose EDC, and regular adoption, even in non-Salty knives, would be a beautiful thing.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

sal wrote:SSSsssooooo....I have a question. When you say you would like to see model ABC with a blade from LC200N. Is that because you are interested in that particular blade steel as a blade?................or are you thinking that that would make it a "Salt" version?

sal
I normally prefer to carry a Military when I can and I've had some rust issues when carrying it while offshore sailing so for me it's a corrosion issue. I have a SpydieChef and I'm happy with LC200N so far..
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

NickShabazz wrote:To Sal's question about whether LC200N desire == "Salt" knife desire, I don't think so. I think LC200N is a great 'all-arounder' steel, with favorable characteristics for use and sharpening and performance even in the desert, and the advantage that it can be 'driven hard and put to bed wet', even in salty conditions, without trouble. And there's not much 'downside' to it relative to other midrange steels (e.g. S30V, XHP), from my perspective.

Not knowing the economics of this particular steel, but I wouldn't mind seeing it used like S30V and XHP are used now, as a great generalist steel, across the lineup. It's a very impressive piece for general purpose EDC, and regular adoption, even in non-Salty knives, would be a beautiful thing.
I agree with Nick. LC200N seems like a great general use steel for EDC, especially if that might involve some food prep or apple slicing. I'd love to see it as an option for something like the Sage, as well as the PM2.
Jim
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I think a LC200N PM2 in a deep seafoam color or something cool would sell out in record time, haha.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

jalcon wrote:I think a LC200N PM2 in a deep seafoam color or something cool would sell out in record time, haha.
I'd buy a pm2 with lc200n no matter the handle color but yeah sea green would be awesome
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

ross8425 wrote:
jalcon wrote:I think a LC200N PM2 in a deep seafoam color or something cool would sell out in record time, haha.
I'd buy a pm2 with lc200n no matter the handle color but yeah sea green would be awesome
Agreed.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

IMO, both options will make Spyderco money and customers happy.

Im not saying make both, but either would win. A sprint run PM2 in LC200N with yellow scales is going to sell out no questions. A full Salt PM2 version of same would sell out no question. But maybe there is room in the line up for a permanent full Salt PM2. Yes it would cost more, but you are getting more. Currently there is the black satin, camo satin, black DLC, Camo DLC all in S30V, Burple S110V and maybe the Maxamet makes it back to the full time line up. To me the full Salt PM2 is the opposite to the Maxamet and a perfect Yin to its Yang

Id prefer it to be a full Salt PM2, I live costal, spend a lot of the time in and on the ocean.

.....OH, and just to get the juices flowing, here is a pic that someone posted. Im not sure which member and where the pic is from but it is a home run :cool:
Attachments
XSJcAt7.jpg
Ric

Post by Ric »

I would like to test and use LC200N in my favorite knives:
Para 3,Dfly, Lil Native -yellow handle, plain edge.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:05 am
.....OH, and just to get the juices flowing, here is a pic that someone posted. Im not sure which member and where the pic is from but it is a home run :cool:
The original photo is credited to Anthony Sculimbrene from his Paramilitary 2 Elmax review (which I ripped without permission :o )

I just edited it using photoshop and posted it here so folks here can have an idea what a 'salted' yellow PM2 in LC200n could look like. So all credit goes to the original author.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Absolutely yes.