Para 3 as first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
alexthegreat

Para 3 as first Spyderco?

Post by alexthegreat »

Hey all,

Brand new here, don't even have a Spyderco (yet) and I'm going to get one soon. Always wanted one but never wanted to pony up a larger amount of money than I was used to. Christmas time is coming around so I'm going to finally going to treat myself a bit. I've spent hours looking at fixed and folders for an EDC and I'm fairly sure I've settles on the Para 3. Seems to be a decent size for my EDC applications which would be fairly light work, nothing strenuous. I've heard lots of good stuff about the Para 3 but wanted to hear your opinions since I'm sure you all as a collective have more experience about Spyderco knives than any website.

Thanks for any and all information!
Tell me, is it as warm in the summer as it is in the country, or vice versa?
cabfrank

Re: Para 3 as first Spyderco?

Post by cabfrank »

I don't have a Para 3 yet, but I do have a Para 2, and I think it is one of the best EDC knives ever made. I am not the only one with this opinion either. I'm sure the Para 3 is on par, yet slightly different. Either one you prefer, whichever floats your boat, will undoubtedly make you very happy. If the 3 is what you want, I would absolutely recommend it, without a doubt.
Last edited by cabfrank on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oh, and welcome!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Hi and welcome,

I love Para 3.
Perfect EDC size, super open and close action.

S110V is supersharp and better then S30V.

I recommend also a Sharpmaker for maintenance.

Do you have any knive / sharpening experience?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

para 3 is awesome for edc
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
alexthegreat

Post by alexthegreat »

Hi and thanks for the welcome,

I don't have much experience sharpening. A brother of mine bought an old school whetstone once and I tried sharpening a fixed blade on it. Not sure if I did it right or not. I've looked at the Sharpmaker and it might be something I'll pick up at a later date.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great choice. Be sure to check out both the Native5 and Chaparral, which are very similar in size but carry and slice slightly better IMO.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Welcome to the addiction :eek: Nothing wrong with the Para3 but I strongly recommend the Delica4 in VG10 as your first spydie :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Alex, the Para3 makes an excellent daily user, I especially like the Cruwear piece. Very capable little knife.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

elena86 wrote:Welcome to the addiction :eek: Nothing wrong with the Para3 but I strongly recommend the Delica4 in VG10 as your first spydie :spyder:
I endorse this recommendation, but forty-plus Spydies in, I still need to get this one as my "first" Spydie. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
FK

Post by FK »

Yes, excellent daily carry for smaller knife.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Alex,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Ric

Post by Ric »

ALex, was the fixed blade after sharpening sharper as before?
I normally slice paper to check the sharpness.

S110v steel should be maintained to not being too dull. Otherwise its not easy got bring it back to sharp.

Which version of para 3 caught your eyes?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

cabfrank wrote:I don't have a Para 3 yet, ... I'm sure the Para 3 is on par, yet slightly different.
The Para 3 doesn't yet appear to be as much of a slam dunk as the Para 2. Some people think it doesn't carry as well as a PM2. I'm sure it's an ok knife, but the reviews don't seem to be raving about it.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

zhyla wrote:
cabfrank wrote:I don't have a Para 3 yet, ... I'm sure the Para 3 is on par, yet slightly different.
The Para 3 doesn't yet appear to be as much of a slam dunk as the Para 2. Some people think it doesn't carry as well as a PM2. I'm sure it's an ok knife, but the reviews don't seem to be raving about it.
I love my cruwear para3. I am not buying any more pm2’s. The para 3 is a great size for me.
True, the pocket clip and lanyard hole are not perfect. But an aftermarket clip or go tip down if you don’t like the standard placement. It’s a great knife in my eyes.
alexthegreat

Post by alexthegreat »

Hey all and thanks for the info and warm welcome.

The Para 3 that got my eyes was the C223GPCMOBK with the black blade and camo handle.

As for the knife that I sharpened once, yes it was a bit sharper but later on I tried another knife and all I ended up doing was slightly scratching the blade.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

I would recommend you try a Sage over the Para 3 if that size knife is important to you. But for a first Spyderco, I have to absolutely recommend the Delica or the Paramilitary 2. These two knives imo define what a Spyderco is and every other knife you buy after will be compared against one of these two.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Very hard to argue that point about the PM2 and Delica. I'd say both are iconic knives, in their own way.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

So many great edc friendly options in the Spyderco lineup, it's kind of hard to pick a bad one. Let us know how you like the PM3 when you get it. Sharpening takes practice and this place has a great base of knowledge to learn from, search and read. If something doesn't make sense, someone here will be able to explain.
alexthegreat

Post by alexthegreat »

One of the things that drew me towards the Para 3 was the compression lock. How strong is it compared to liner and the other forms of locks?