We need more Wharncliffes!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

We need more Wharncliffes!

Post by vivi »

Wharncliffes are my favorite blade shapes. Pointy tip and a straight cutting edge, it's perfect.

Easiest blade shape to sharpen. They get so sharp so easy.

Transfers full cutting power all the way to the tip of the blade. Read up on the yojimbo 2, all of those observations work for utility cuts too. With drop points and other more common shapes, materials are much more likely to slip off towards the tip of the blade.

For utility work I can't think of a better blade shape. Box cutters are so ubiquitous largely due to the shape of the cutting edge. It just works.

Which wharncliffe designs would you like to see?

I've got two in mind.

First, a small EDC fixed blade. New design would be welcome of course, but I could see using the Ark handle to great effect. Here is a photo of an Ark I modified to wharncliffe to give you an idea of what I'd like. Of course one designed from the ground up wouldn't have to incorporate a slanted, kiridashi style edge like my mod had to use :)

Second, a 3.75-4.25" blade length folding knife. Sized around the Endura / Military, built to be light, comfortable to carry, a true EDC piece. 4-way clip, backlock, and a well balanced stainless steel that's budget conscious like VG10. SE and PE variants.
:unicorn
RocketJ

Re: We need more Wharncliffes!

Post by RocketJ »

Dragonfly!
John
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I always envisioned a YOJIMBO 2 with PE/SE, FRN handles, slim and thin, linerless backlock in H1 or LC200N as my perfect Salt

and a Wharncliffe ARK as the go-to neck knife
I also love wharnies!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi we are mostly in agreement. I love a good wharnie. But I also love blades that only have a slight belly but also a low tip, like the Manix 2 or Delica. That makes it a bit more versatile in times when you need to make cutting board style cuts but also gives you most of the benefits of a wharnie. It also helps if the blade has a little negative angle to it like the Military and Sliverax have.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

YES!!! Love the ArkDashi. A Yojimbo Salt would be amazing (LC200N as a bonus). Caly 3.5 is my favorite EDC which gives many benefits of Wharncliffe with the upside of a slight belly and negative blade angle (per Evil D). Would love to see a hybrid Ronin 2/Street Beat Wharncliffe similar to this but with handles (LC200N as a bonus):
MAXKF1.jpg
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Like EvilD i like a negative blade angle, that coupled with thewoodpeckers comments about the Caly 3.5 send my gears to turning.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

all these ideas could be submitted to the "30 Day Fixed blade challenge" thread where Sal just encouraged us to post what would make our ideal EDC Fixed knife.
Maybe we could get something after all :rolleyes:
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Salt 2 Wharncliffe in LC200N. Something like a rust proof Jazzlica:)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’d really like to see more thin/narrow gentleman’s knives like the Air please. It seems like the Swick, Jazzlica and Yo2 fit the bill very well already for other size ranges.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Is this where I put in another request for a Centofante4 sprint?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Igi964 wrote:Salt 2 Wharncliffe in LC200N. Something like a rust proof Jazzlica:)
:D :D :D LC200N Jazzlica Salt
vivi

Post by vivi »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I’d really like to see more thin/narrow gentleman’s knives like the Air please. It seems like the Swick, Jazzlica and Yo2 fit the bill very well already for other size ranges.

None of those are big knives though. I'd like something at least as big as an Endura, which is the smallest knife in my EDC roation. I want the Air's blade shape on a Military :)
:unicorn
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Vivi wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I’d really like to see more thin/narrow gentleman’s knives like the Air please. It seems like the Swick, Jazzlica and Yo2 fit the bill very well already for other size ranges.

None of those are big knives though. I'd like something at least as big as an Endura, which is the smallest knife in my EDC roation. I want the Air's blade shape on a Military :)
I'm in. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We've had requests for a Yojimbo 2 XL...if it were made exactly the same just another 1/2-3/4 inch longer in the blade I'd buy one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can't tell you how much I want this wharnie Manbug, but not in H1. I'd have a few.

Maybe the Endura size would be good for those that like the big 'uns. Actually, now I'd like one.

- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:We've had requests for a Yojimbo 2 XL...if it were made exactly the same just another 1/2-3/4 inch longer in the blade I'd buy one.
And I want a Lil Yo, how ironic
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:I can't tell you how much I want this wharnie Manbug, but not in H1. I'd have a few.

Wharnie Manbug would be perfect for me!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

A Wharncliffe Manix 2 or Para Military 2 would be just sweet! I'd be in for sure and the semi or open construction of the two make Wharnie-Izing them a fairly easy proposition just looking at them. I'd really like a LW M2 version too. I might even break my rule of no more Japanese Spydies for that Endura 4 Wharnie!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would love a Native 5 LW with a wharncliffe blade, should make for a great user!
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

Meerkat. Small knife with a beefier handle to harness all that Wharncliffe utility.