30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: 30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Post by MacLaren »

Absolutely Chad. I really like the blade shape.
A high saber grind?
At any rate, very well done!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like #4, the one on the far right, the best. The deeper index choil is the main reason why, but the scales also appear to have better contouring, and designs without thumb ramps tend to work better for me when it comes to ergonomics. If I could be picky I'd make the tip a bit pointier, it seems a tiny bit broader than some of the others.

I've been carrying the same fixed blade for the past two weeks. It's really grown on me.

I have been tempted to go back to my Swick :p
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am digging number four. The handle looks more hand filling, the plunge line looks great, the flatter grind looks good, the swedge looks great and I am a fan of both green and copper.

Very nice!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like 2,3 and 4 equally for different reasons. I like 2 because that handle material is INSANE! I also like the looks of that high flat grind. I like 3 because I find the grind lines really pretty and I have a feeling that thin (BTE) grind that the saber allows for will make a great cutter. It's a little harder to pinpoint exactly what I like about 4. Smooth lines, flowing curves...I think it has the most "elegant" look. Elegant isn't exactly the right word but I can't think of a better description.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Vivi wrote:I like #4, the one on the far right, the best. The deeper index choil is the main reason why, but the scales also appear to have better contouring, and designs without thumb ramps tend to work better for me when it comes to ergonomics. If I could be picky I'd make the tip a bit pointier, it seems a tiny bit broader than some of the others.

I've been carrying the same fixed blade for the past two weeks. It's really grown on me.

I have been tempted to go back to my Swick :p
Thank you Vivi. 4 feels best in my hand for the very same reasons you mention. I appreciate your thoughts. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am digging number four. The handle looks more hand filling, the plunge line looks great, the flatter grind looks good, the swedge looks great and I am a fan of both green and copper.

Very nice!
I'm a green and copper fan as well. Thank you for noticing the plunge line. I'm really glad to hear you like that one Darby. Thinking about neck knives and uses for trail companion knives as I was building #4 I thought of you a few times. In some way, you could say it was built with you in mind. :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Surfingringo wrote:.. Elegant isn't exactly the right word but I can't think of a better description.
:D :D I'm thankful that elegant is what you went with when you couldn't think of the right word. :p
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I'm in on this. I recently purchased a Bark River featherweight Fox River in elmax. I know, it's long wondering, but it's an amazing little knife. I'm on about day 3. My companion carry is a modified Tasman. Everything I need with those two.
Justin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but, if by the off chance Sal reads this.....

Regarding a potential edc fixed blade offering, rather than draw inspiration from other designs, I think a scaled down mule would be perfect.

You could even take it a step further and adopt the new edc knife as the new Mule!

I think people would be more likely to buy a Mule if it was a knife they could realistically carry every day. Great as the current Mule is, for myself at least, it is not an option for edc due to its size. My bank account shudders to think what would happen if the Mules were everyday carryable for me!

My humble opinion
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I truly wish that Spyderco would maybe consider doing more variants of the STREETBEAT model. Because after playing with it some lately I've come to the conclusion that the STREETBEAT would also be great in SE & CE as well as PE. Not to mention having a skeletonized version where you could customize your own handle>> the possibilities would be almost endless :cool: .

My late best friend was an avid fan of the STREETBEAT model and he EDCed it till the day we found him deceased. And he had it on him that very day too. He had preached to me on several occasions the virtues and advantages of using a fixed blade for a primary EDC. I've always liked the TEMP 1 better than the STREETBEAT for a lot of reasons and mainly because they had a Spyderedged version of it. But a Spyderedged STREETBEAT could indeed be a game changer for me personally.

The SWICK model also has a lot of potential in different variants as well. I would love to see a Spyderedged version and a Hawkbill version both of the SWICK. Great thread xceptnl!!!!! You always come up with good ones ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My "stubby Mule" is coming along well. Hope to be able to finish it next week. I have been belt carrying a Mule or Swick since I started this thread 4 months ago. Truly it has been incredibly handy having a sturdy little fb to compliment my daily rotation of folders.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Tims

Post by Tims »

I envy you your Swick mate. I missed the boat on those, would have loved to put a nice fat wood handle on one.

Any pics of your 'stubby mule'?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Tims wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:36 pm
I envy you your Swick mate. I missed the boat on those, would have loved to put a nice fat wood handle on one.

Any pics of your 'stubby mule'?
First of the week hopefully.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Tims

Post by Tims »

I look forward to it, I'll keep an eye out
vivi

Post by vivi »

This knife has taken over my EDC.

It's about 6" on the dot OAL, so only a three finger grip for me, but it's got a very thick handle for the size so it's surprisingly hand filling.

Carried horizontal on my belt I forget it's there until I need it.

Paired with a Leatherman, it's got me well covered.

Who else would be interested in seeing some sort of small fixed blade like this from Spyderco? Something in, say, 52100 & canvas micarta? I'd like to see more carbon steels used on fixed blades VS folders when it comes to Spyderco.

Maybe something along the lines of a fixed Rhino would work?
:unicorn