30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: 30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Leather is tricky and a knife should be fairly clean before putting it back in. Of course growing up I put many bloody knives (wiped off but not clean) back in leather sheaths and those sheaths are still in service today. Probably not the best thing for your lunch break food prep knife though.

I have certainly managed to get both kydex and lined cordura sheaths very dirty while either hunting or doing food prep while camping. I have always just thrown them into my laundry for a run through the washing machine. It has worked well for me so far. :) Just pick them out before your clothes go in the dryer or on the line.

We had lots of alcohol pad dispensers at my last job and I always kept a bunch in my lunch box. They are handy for a lot of things.

For what it is worth, I sometimes put folders back in my pocket dirty. You gotta do what you gotta do.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:One thing that this thread brings into focus is the practicality of small fixed blades>> I'm talking 3 inches or less. You sure don't have to worry about a lock failing on you, nor do you have to worry about any pocket clip problems that may arise while EDCing a fixed blade.

To me the type of sheath is what would be the determining factor of whether or not I would EDC a Spyderco fixed blade. Because if we had a bigger/broader selection of sheaths and different types of sheaths giving us more carry options then I think you would see more guys EDC fixed blades.

Sheath selection has come a long way in the past 10 to 12 years but it's still got a long way to go before EDCing a fixed blade becomes a better overall option IMO.
I agree 1000% Joe. As many have stated and as obvious from EvilD's latest custom sheath thread, the right carry device makes the difference in being able to EDC a fixed blade or not. Think I am going to give one of the factory Mule sheaths a try, but I am already in process of ordering another of these in black leather. It has been a fantastic and versatile carry system for my mules.

I usually carry it between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock on my belt or on my left backpack shoulder strap for cross torso draw while hiking or camping.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Xceptnl,

Great sheath. You might share the maker?

I'm on-the-road so I don't have access to a FB right now, but I'll take your challenge when I get home.

I'd also like to up the ante. I would like to take the results of this challenge, and any other input and see if we can create the ultimate Fixed Blade EDC carry design. Size, shape, steel, carry option, etc.

Game?

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:Hi Xceptnl,

I'm on-the-road so I don't have access to a FB right now, but I'll take your challenge when I get home.

I'd also like to up the ante. I would like to take the results of this challenge, and any other input and see if we can create the ultimate Fixed Blade EDC carry design. Size, shape, steel, carry option, etc.

Game?

sal
I accept your raise and call. Our very own Toomzz (Tomas) made these fantastic Mule sheaths for me. It was a collaborate idea as he hadn't made a pancake style prior to this one. Once it arrived and i carried it for a few days (that was years ago) I immediately commissioned him to make me a spare. Retention via the strap and snap has proved sturdy enough for even inverted carry. I would like a kydex lined version next to allow removal of the above mentioned strap.

As for your requested input Sal, I would really love a pocket sized fixed blade with a small 3/4" dia contoured handle (like a full sized BiC lighter profile) along with a small leaf shaped blade (the Caly Jr. shape would be my #1 preference). This would be very similar to a scaled down Mule but with a less wide handle. Couple all those proportions with a nicely finished and polished wood or G-10 handle scale as well as a lanyard tube for the icing on the cake.

As for steel, you know I fall into the junkie category so my preference always leans to longer edge retention. K390 or S110V both suit my needs very well. The key to a fixed blade this small would be the stock thickness (or rather thinness) and the grind. Can we say 2mm and a high hollow grind?
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Chaparral blade is 2mm thick X 2-3/4" length.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:Chaparral blade is 2mm thick X 2-3/4" length.

sal
I have never tried the Chaparral. The length suits though. What are your thoughts about the grind? Is a high-hollow possible? Much like the H1 Dragonfly
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

I don't like stuff poking me in the side but that sheath is a work of art. My hat is off to you Toomz! Very nice!

I carry a sidearm in a pancake sheath during hunting season and they can be very comfortable and very secure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

@Darby,

Thanks! Never thought of washing machine :D
That’s a great solution!

@Lance,
Is the proto being worked on by Sal & team?

@Landon,
The described dimension of pocket fixed blade is very interesting, especially the BIC lighter shape/size handle! On steel, I prefer stainless, VG10, LC200N, if serrated: H1. Probably S110V (I read it’s really stainless). Full height convex profile probably works better for me, or FFG.
Chris :spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hi Xceptnl,

Game?

sal
Hey Sal, funny, I actually had a long discussion about this very thing a couple of months ago with an up and coming knife maker (and fellow forumite). I believe he is hard at work now designing his interpretation of this very tool. He’s a pretty talented guy and puts a lot of thought into his designs so i’m curious and excited to see what he creates.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

A leaf blade Enuff with thinner stock, better ergos, and a much better sheath and we there
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

A slightly smaller Mule is about there too
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Spearpoint Full Flat Grind AEB-L or VG10.
Maybe even a FRN scaled EDC with screws to allow for Owner Alteration Syndrome... :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

For me the ultimate fixed blade would be something like this:

- Overall size between 7-8" (Between a Street Beat and Ronin 2)
- Negative blade angle like the Military. Overall knife has a mild half-moon sort of shape.
- Handle shape has a generous index finger groove like an Ark or slightly more mellow Street Beat, and no other finger grooves. Neutral handle shape with 3D rounding. The rear of the handle slopes down like the rear end of the Militarys handle, rather than being straight like the Street Beat.
- Wharncliffe blade with 3.75-4.25 cutting edge
- Full flat grind with full length distal taper
- Pointy tip
- Extremely corrosion resistant blade steel for year round carry with minimal maintenance. LC200N, H1, or DLC coated stainless.
- Enough handle for a secure, four finger grip regardless of hand size, but nothing extra
- Smooth scale texture so carrying next to skin IWB is comfortable. Textured G10 like a Ronin is fine, but no FRN with a bi-directional texture.
- Sheath that is thin, narrow and as minimal as possible while being G-Clip compatible.

I might sketch up a design. I'd like to get a custom done up along these lines someday.
:unicorn
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

sal wrote:Chaparral blade is 2mm thick X 2-3/4" length.

sal
That would be a very low profile and office friendly fixed blade. Sounds great! I am very interested if others like this idea too
bearfacedkiller

The Ark is 2mm with a hollow grind and a 2.5 inch blade. Is there still possibly going to be Arks with other blade shapes? Maybe another steel?
-Darby
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Ark is 2mm with a hollow grind and a 2.5 inch blade. Is there still possibly going to be Arks with other blade shapes? Maybe another steel?
I'd love to see a wharncliffe Ark from the factory.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
We had lots of alcohol pad dispensers at my last job and I always kept a bunch in my lunch box. They are handy for a lot of things.

I dunno about everyone else but I have an EDC bag I take with me literally everywhere. Maybe I should post up some of that in one of the threads we have about it. I carry so many random things in there it's a little ridiculous. One thing I always have in it is alcohol wipes, mostly for first aid but as you said they are so handy for so many things and they weigh practically nothing so there's no reason not to carry a few with me in an Altoids tin.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:

One of my most favorite small fixed blades is the Folts Minimalist wharnie. I've wanted one of the real Folts versions for years but never got my hands on one. That's a model I really wish Spyderco had the rights to, if I could get it in a better steel I would definitely own several of them, probably in several different blade shapes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:

One of my most favorite small fixed blades is the Folts Minimalist wharnie. I've wanted one of the real Folts versions for years but never got my hands on one. That's a model I really wish Spyderco had the rights to, if I could get it in a better steel I would definitely own several of them, probably in several different blade shapes.
Agreed. I've seen Peacants Folts posted here and a few times I've thought about trying one.

I sincerely believe wharncliffes are unbeatable for knives with 2" or less blades. They just makes so much sense for small blades where you have less cutting edge to slice with. With the regular ark everything I cut with a slicing motion wants to slide off the tip end of the blade. With a wharncliffe I get so much more control with my cuts.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I know I never had the money before when I was interested in his designs, but something very similar to the pocket designs of Charles May like the one below would be extremely pocketable....

(Maker's photo not mine)
*Landon*