30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Post by xceptnl »

As some of you may have seen I posted a Spydie pocketdump pic that included a small cleaver. This was after reading a thread on another forum about this challenge so I am reposting a similar challenge here.

The challenge goes like this, add OR replace one of your EDC blades with a fixed blade (of any brand though obviously Spydies are preferred) post pics here amd tell us how you used it that day. I am already on day 3 and am already seeing the benefits over some of my folding choices.

Have fun with it and lets see those fixed blades..... from Spots and Swicks to Foresters and Foragers, bring them on.

Cruwear Mule in canvas micarta covers for me today.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Re: 30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Post by vivi »

I have one on me most days. Usually a Ronin 2 or Swick 3, sometimes an Ark modified to wharncliffe.

I like the simplicity of them, as well as how easy they are to maintain. No moving parts to lube, no pivot screw tension to fuss over, etc.
:unicorn
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I would love to do this, but I sit at a desk in an office all day. IWB/OWB carriyng my mule is not quite office friendly or comfortable while sitting on your butt all day! But, cool post - looking forward to some good pics and stories...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I'm in this challenge by default since I'm carrying my Street Beat.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am on day three carrying my 4v Mule. :)

Can we get some more of this stuff?
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I only own a dozen or so and 8 of them are Mules. I am going to be experimenting with carry positions and I plan to get another custom Mule sheath made soon. My new job will easily allow me to carry a FB daily and I should have ample opportunities to use it as well.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I am not eligible to participate since concealing fixed blades is illegal in my locale. But I just gotta say that Caly Jr Micarta is some serious FFG SE hotness.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I carried the first prototype of my fixed blade design everyday for a month. One of the goals of that design was to make a fixed blade and sheath that was thin and narrow enough to ride IWB comfortably on long fishing sessions. I am usually in boardshorts with no belt so IWB is the default carry method for a fixed blade. I tried several positions but the most comfortable was carrying the knife at 1:00 at a slightly diagonal angle (tip pointing towards groin). This carry does not interfere with walking or sitting and can still be covered with a T-shirt with no significant printing. I carried like that all day, everyday for a full month and after a few days I didn’t even notice the knife was there.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

My bag goes everywhere I do, so I guess my Mule does as well. I occasionally carry my Swick or Ronin 2 IWB as well..

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I'm way ahead on this one. I edc my 4V Mule everyday all day and have for a long time. Since getting the Boltaron sheath when Spyderco first offered them I have been carrying IWB same as Lance. I too appreciate the simplicity and easy care of a reasonably sized fixed blade like my Mules when there's work to be done.

Dave
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OH I love your idea of a fixed blade EDC and I have done that in the past. But I do live in a major US city and I've got to get some type of sheath that is concealable. At this time I'm looking for some type of ankle sheath like my late best friend used to carry his STREETBEAT with. If I was not living in Kansas City at this time I wouldn't hesitate to EDC with a belt sheath.

Spyderco does have a nice selection of smaller fixed blades that make it practical to carry a fixed blade. There are most definitely advantages to a fixed blade over a folder. Most all of the survival books I've read in the past 5 years most all recommend a fixed blade over a folder. However most people are not aware of the quality that Spyderco puts in their high end folders.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

not for 30 days straight but on Winter and cold months I have often carried the Aqua Salt, handle down tip up on my belt at 4 or 5 position and it's always been very flat to carry.

the excellent sheath allows for a lot of carrying possibilities, it is thin, very safe and I can easily walk on the streets and do urban life with it without anybody seeing it or noticing any printing on my clothes

I also carried the Jumpmaster in a similar fashion for a while but much prefer the Aqua's shape and sheath
animportant

Post by animportant »

Surfingringo wrote:I carried the first prototype of my fixed blade design everyday for a month. One of the goals of that design was to make a fixed blade and sheath that was thin and narrow enough to ride IWB comfortably on long fishing sessions. I am usually in boardshorts with no belt so IWB is the default carry method for a fixed blade. I tried several positions but the most comfortable was carrying the knife at 1:00 at a slightly diagonal angle (tip pointing towards groin). This carry does not interfere with walking or sitting and can still be covered with a T-shirt with no significant printing. I carried like that all day, everyday for a full month and after a few days I didn’t even notice the knife was there.
Status update on your prototype??
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I am not eligible but wondering ...

Unless it’s H1, it requires cleaning after use before putting back in sheath. In urban/office environment this is hard to do. This situation is where H1 folders or very stainless blade folder is easier, just fold away and store until cleaning is possible. Example: cutting fruits or cakes or sandwiches (with all the ingredients).

One of the reason I used to like balisongs. No touching the blade at all and if well made, no rubbing the handle except kick and tang pins. Can clean up just the blade later if needed.

For fixed blade, how do you all get around clean/dry/store cycle? How about cruds in the sheath?

I hope it doesn’t derail the thread and provides insights to non carriers like me.
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

anagarika wrote:I am not eligible but wondering ...

Unless it’s H1, it requires cleaning after use before putting back in sheath. In urban/office environment this is hard to do. This situation is where H1 folders or very stainless blade folder is easier, just fold away and store until cleaning is possible. Example: cutting fruits or cakes or sandwiches (with all the ingredients).

One of the reason I used to like balisongs. No touching the blade at all and if well made, no rubbing the handle except kick and tang pins. Can clean up just the blade later if needed.

For fixed blade, how do you all get around clean/dry/store cycle? How about cruds in the sheath?

I hope it doesn’t derail the thread and provides insights to non carriers like me.
:eek: Personally I never close a knife while it's dirty if I can help it. Cleaning a blade is easy. Taking apart a knife to scrub rust off the liners and pivot is not!

Simply wipe it off. I cut apples with my Ronin 2 every week, often while camping. I squirt a little water on the blade from my water bottle and wipe it off on my pant leg and it's fine. Nothing to it.

I can't think of any reason to not wipe off a knife before putting it back in my sheath / pocket unless it's an emergency or something. I have a tough enough time avoiding rust as it is.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

animportant wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I carried the first prototype of my fixed blade design everyday for a month. One of the goals of that design was to make a fixed blade and sheath that was thin and narrow enough to ride IWB comfortably on long fishing sessions. I am usually in boardshorts with no belt so IWB is the default carry method for a fixed blade. I tried several positions but the most comfortable was carrying the knife at 1:00 at a slightly diagonal angle (tip pointing towards groin). This carry does not interfere with walking or sitting and can still be covered with a T-shirt with no significant printing. I carried like that all day, everyday for a full month and after a few days I didn’t even notice the knife was there.
Status update on your prototype??
I don’t have any recent updates but I don’t think it’s too far out now. Is that vague enough? Haha.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

anagarika wrote:I am not eligible but wondering ...

When there's food involved I usually have some kind of napkin on hand to wipe my face/beard/mustache so that also wipes off the blade. But, H1 is definitely good for peace of mind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One thing that this thread brings into focus is the practicality of small fixed blades>> I'm talking 3 inches or less. You sure don't have to worry about a lock failing on you, nor do you have to worry about any pocket clip problems that may arise while EDCing a fixed blade.

To me the type of sheath is what would be the determining factor of whether or not I would EDC a Spyderco fixed blade. Because if we had a bigger/broader selection of sheaths and different types of sheaths giving us more carry options then I think you would see more guys EDC fixed blades.

Sheath selection has come a long way in the past 10 to 12 years but it's still got a long way to go before EDCing a fixed blade becomes a better overall option IMO.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Stay Frosty

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi, David,

Thank you. I might be overthinking it, allow me to share a bit of what happened in the past.

The last time I brought my small fixed blade and used it on food stuff, I wiped it off with paper towel and stored it, being in office environment, one doesn’t go carrying naked blade to the washroom. Usually at home I wash it & wipe it dry before storing. Apparently the wipe didn’t do very well. The sheath had some of the food smell afterwards, which I had to wash it again at home and air drying it took a while.

It got me thinking that wiping a folder will result the same (not so clean) but washing it later would do without needing to clean the handle/scale/liner (assuming blade is centered & not rubbing), because none of the residue gets on them. I also find cleaning the inner part of a sheath difficult. H1 definitely a good thing cause one can wash it thoroughly and not worrying at all if it doesn’t dry completely.
Chris :spyder: