Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but REALLY LOVED once you bought it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but REALLY LOVED once you bought it.

Post by DougC-3 »

Latest in the series of "Name a Spyderco Knife" threads, haha.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the last four I've bought all fall into this category. They all really exceeded my expectations. If I could change my forum name I might go with FanMan :D

In order bought, most recent first:

#1 Natural G-10 Manix 2 M4 Exclusive -- I had bought the PM2 in these materials mainly just to get the M-4 and was not too crazy about it (partly because I'm not much of a PM2 fan), and I bought this Manix 2 thinking I might replace the scales, but it turned out that I really love it as is. It's going to be one of my all time favorites. I think the natural G-10 works better with the Manix than with the PM2 because the Manix liners are the same on both sides, and the symmetry looks good when light shines through it, sort of like the skeleton of a glass fish :p

#2 Police 4 K390 -- My first Police model. I love everything about this knife: size, shape, blade shape, blade steel, ergonomics, thin carry, comfortable grip. I would like to try some antique OD canvas micarta scales on it. Wish I could have given one of these to my father, a career state criminal investigator.

#3 Coyote Brown G-10 Yojimbo 2 DLC S90V Exclusive -- I'm fudging a little here, because I was expecting to really like this one, but it exceeded my expectations. I missed the CF S90V model and have been wanting a DLC knife in a super steel, so this was a no-brainer. Also I really like the brown G-10/DLC combination and hope to someday get a Manix 2 in this configuration. My example handles exactly like my S30V version, opening perfectly every time with a flip of the middle fingertip.

#4 Orange FRCP Lightweight Manix 2 S90V Exclusive -- I previously didn't think I liked orange knives and wasn't too crazy about the lightweight Manix versus G-10. I had planned to get this one so I could swap its S90V Blade into G-10 scales. But I was really taken with it right out of the box, carried it every day for about six weeks, and now like and respect all of my lightweight M2s much more as a result . Needless to say I'm leaving it in its original lightweight configuration.

Do you have any favorites that exceeded your expectations?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SG89

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but REALLY LOVED once you bought it.

Post by SG89 »

everything from golden and everything from taichung except positron lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
shunsui

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but REALLY LOVED once you bought it.

Post by shunsui »

Blurple. Nuf said.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yojimbo 2 and Native 5 LW. I wasn't sure if I'd like either of these when I first saw them, but I gambled and won.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Lil Matriarch and Meerkat reverse S have both been surprises for me. Bought both on a whim. They see a lot of pocket time.

I got a Copilot as part of a package deal in order to score a Navigator. The Copilot is one of Spyderco’s better small knives.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Caly 3.
Peter
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For the most part, I expect to like every knife I buy but in terms of exceeding expectations, the Wharncliffe Delica has definitely done that! I bought it at the start of a trip to Colorado in July and carried it throughout my time there. I bought it for a few reasons, first was simply that I had already wanted to buy one prior and second was that I didn't bring a knife with me and wanted one to carry while I was there. It's also just hard to walk out of the SFO empty handed. :confused:
On topic though, I enjoyed carrying it as an EDC knife while I was there but it wasn't until I got home and back to work that I realized how much I actually loved it. It really excels as a work knife, and has become the only full size knife i'll carry at work now.
-Nick :bug-red
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Two knives did that to me. I knew I would really like the Advocate and Slysz Bowie, but the prices were the most I had ever paid for a knife so I was skeptical. Boy am I glad I got them, they are truly two absolutely brilliant designs. They are my two favorite by far, and I am definitely in love with them. I look forward to more Gayle Bradley and Marcin Slysz designs.
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cara Cara

I had recently gotten my first G10 scaled knife, a Military.

When the Cara Cara launched I was blown away that I could get a full sized G10 folder at $25.

I expected to like it, but it ended up being my favorite design at the time. I preferred it to the Military and C95 Manix for years.

I still carry one from time to time. Can't beat them when it comes to performance for the dollar. I gift CE Cara Caras frequently.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sprig! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
foofie

Post by foofie »

ukpk.
Most recently, the Sliverax.
Vinnyfl

Post by Vinnyfl »

For me it is the Manix 2. Feels light in the hand and can be a nice EDC or self defense knife. Love the ball bearing lock. Bought a Para 2 and have yet to carry it. Truth me told, I use a Tenacious the most since I do not care if it gets dinged or lost. Cheap enough to replace and in fact, I already have its replacement in my display case. Almost bought a third today but ordered a Byrd Cara Cara 2 since I wanted a bigger blade for certain tasks but a knife I can lose and not care about.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Most recently, the plain ti PITS.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

The Manix 2 is it for me. Specifically the cruwear with smooth carbon fiber handles. Before this knife I carried a lw Manix but there's just something about that solid feeling on the non-lw model that I just love. This knife is also my first experience with cruwear and the design, feel and performance has really grown on me.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Cara Cara (never thought I'd get that much for so little $ in the folding knife world)
and Pacific Salt, I knew I'd probably like it but the Linerless FRN, H1 steel and full near 4"SE were unexpectedly impressive and useful for my uses It was also my first SE Spyderco, but I had tried many many SE knives before, none comparable at all to that beast
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Can't say I've had many that have ever disappointed me and more than most of them fall into the category that inspired this thread. My Police 4 may be the one that surprised me the most. I loved my Police 3, but the added edge retention along with lighter handle and balance changes have made the P4 a knife that I would recommend to anyone.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Farid K2. It looked good, has a good steel and I like big knives. I expected to like it and ended up loving it.

The Street Beat. I like neck knives and have carried one similar in size to the Street Beat while bumming around in the woods often. I expected to like the Street Beat but being marketed as a self defense blade and being rather classy looking I did not think it would be a new favorite companion in the woods but it is.

I think some of the fixed blades I have fall into that category. The Sprig, Southfork, Bradley Bowie and recently the Temp2 have all really won me over. I knew they were all good but didn't realize how good.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:everything from golden and everything from taichung except positron lol
Yeah.. that about sums it up :) Although i like my Japanese and Italian (and German and Swiss made) Spydies a lot too
Couldn't find any love for the Positron either. One of very few catch and release Spydies!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The Caly 3.5 in Super Blue really surpassed my expectations.

I carried it almost daily from Nov 2011 until I gave it to a friend last summer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

1) Sliverax. I had a good feeling I'd like it but haven't used another knife since getting it apart from my Street Beat to murder a squirrel :rolleyes:

2) Street Beat. Pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. I wish I had bought one years ago. Could be the best small EDC fixed blade I've ever held.

3) Nilakka. It took me a while to finally buy one but something about it just grabbed my attention and once I had one in my hand I was blown away. It's one of the best constructed knives I've ever seen. There's far more going on behind the scales than it would seem.

4) Yojimbo 2. This one I was in love with before I even held one. I even had the prototype pics as my cell phone wallpaper. Still one of my absolute favorites.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David