Para 3 pocket clip needs CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Para 3 pocket clip needs CQI

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I got a Para 3 in cruwear a few weeks ago and as much as I like the knife I find the standard hourglass pocket clip doesn't work with it. I have never had any issues with Spydie clips before but with this knife there is just too much handle sticking out of the pocket for my liking. Also I find the angle of the pocket clip doesn't help, when you clip it into a jeans pocket the clip is not flush with the seam of the pocket and so even more handle is sticking out. I just find it weird that the Para 3 which is a scaled down version of the PM2 has more handle visible than the PM2. Maybe it's time for a re-think?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bouhunter

Re: Para 3 pocket clip needs CQI

Post by bouhunter »

Haven't gotten around to it but I plan to order an MXG deep carry clip for one.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The MXG deep carry short makes a world of difference on the Para3.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I think there will be a lot of people jumping in saying they went with an aftermarket clip. Like you, I also never had a problem with a Spyderco clip but agree that this clip just doesn't work on this knife. I went with a MX gear shorty clip and it made a huge difference. The deeper carry is nice but it really made an improvement by allowing space for my middle finger when operating the lock.

With that being said, I can understand why they decided to use what they did.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I just find it weird that the Para 3 which is a scaled down version of the PM2 has more handle visible than the PM2. Maybe it's time for a re-think?
Same clip and same position relative to the butt of the knife. I don't understand what you're saying, maybe a photo would help?
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Yep, it's bad. I made a thread about it awhile back. I bought the MSG clip for mine also, but it's ugly to me. It's not so much to me about the amount of knife sticking out of my pocket, I couldn't care less about being discreet. It's more about how little of the knife is inside my pocket. It's not a large knife and I like smaller knives to ride a little deeper. OP, you're gonna have numerous suggestions to just carry tip down to solve the 'non issue'. Carrying a small knife tip down is not even an option for me. Ironically, I carried mine yesterday (for the first time in a long while) as it's been fairly warm here and I decided to wear shorts. My opinion hasn't changed about it. It ruins the whole knife for me.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

zhyla wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:I just find it weird that the Para 3 which is a scaled down version of the PM2 has more handle visible than the PM2. Maybe it's time for a re-think?
Same clip and same position relative to the butt of the knife. I don't understand what you're saying, maybe a photo would help?
Incorrect
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I agree that it's awful as well. I put an MXG clip on my Para 3 for that reason. More people use the clip but don't care about a lanyard hole so why cater to the minority and put the lanyard hole at the end of the handle? They should have used a smaller lanyard hole and moved it, and put the clip all the way at the end like the Manix is.

For the record I would prefer a clip from Casey Lynch but I can never get them. I am pretty sure that MXG is a copy of what Casey started, but I'm not sure.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wrathhog wrote:Incorrect
I don't own either knives and was just going by a photo... that turned out to be completely fake. :(

Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

zhyla wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:Incorrect
I don't own either knives and was just going by a photo... that turned out to be completely fake. :(

That's the knife a lot were expecting including myself.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Double post
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It wouldn't offend my sensibilities if they tweaked it a little in future releases. I wouldn't mind a sprint run sans lanyard hole altogether. I'm super happy with the MXG short clip on mine. I also wouldn't be upset if they leave it the way it is.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sorry for the bad pic but here's my Para 3 versus PM2. For me the PM2 is acceptable but I feel there's just too much handle sticking out from the Para 3. When the spine of the knife is against the pocket seam (which is the way Spyderco recommend carrying your knife) the clip doesn't sit right in the pocket and the lip of the pocket is not flush against it, which means the knife is sitting at an angle and thus there is more handle sticking out.

I find it amazing that so many people are having to buy aftermarket clips for this knife because you really shouldn't have to.

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SG89

Post by SG89 »

farnorthdan wrote:The MXG deep carry short makes a world of difference on the Para3.

great looking knife!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, when it gets the clip moved back and a back lock thrown in it, I'll be all over it. Love the looks, but comp lock pinches, and those aftermarket deep carry clips look just awful.
- best wishes, Jazz.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Jazz wrote:Well, when it gets the clip moved back and a back lock thrown in it, I'll be all over it. Love the looks, but comp lock pinches, and those aftermarket deep carry clips look just awful.
Well, at least their not abominable. Just kidding :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve got a Lynch clip on my Para 3 Cruwear. Really makes it great. He has redone his clips, and made the hole slightly larger, but not as large as the, in my opinion, very ugly MXG ripoff clips. I do agree they could have designed it without a lanyard hole. Who uses lanyards? :p
Josh
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

If only...
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Slumblor wrote:Image
If only...
Now that would be nice!!
Josh