Para 3 pocket clip needs CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thewoodpecker

Re: Para 3 pocket clip needs CQI

Post by thewoodpecker »

^^^ +1 ^^^
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'd agree, placement for the screw holes is not ideal.
It's like they just anticipated that lanyard placement would trump clip location for most users. But I don't use a lanyard on this knife.
Going back to Caly.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Every knife should have a lanyard hole. They could come in very handy at times. This just needs replacement.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Jazz wrote:Every knife should have a lanyard hole. They could come in very handy at times. This just needs replacement.

While I can agree with that, I don't personally think that the design placement of the lanyard hole should come first over where the clip will go, making it's location a second thought...
I bet this could have been solved with a clip like on the Native LW, etc, with the hole in the middle but many traditional Paramilitary users probably would have thrown a fit over clip change. :rolleyes:

As you said, it could come in handy at times. Not dozens of times every day like a clip.
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’ve carried mine for a couple of months now and the clip placement doesn’t bother me. That said, I would have no objections to a change. I don’t like “deep carry” but I’d like the knife just as much (or more) if the clip placement was more like that of the pm2. Lots of folks are bothered by the clip placement and lots of folks are not. I have not, however. heard anyone who is fine with it the way it is (like myself) object to a cqi change to make it ride lower. Seems like a change would make half the folks happy and wouldn’t really bother the other half.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Smaller hole would help too. Doesn't need to be a radical change at all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SpeedHoles wrote:I bet this could have been solved with a clip like on the Native LW, etc, with the hole in the middle......
I was thinking this as well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
haayema

Post by haayema »

Para3 with wire clip!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm wondering, could someone please post a picture of a Military and Para 3 side by side clipped in a pocket?
- best wishes, Jazz.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

At first I did not like Para 3 but after upgrading to Casey Lynch deep pocket clip I'm amazed.... Spyderco Should definately make factory deep pocket clips...

ImageImage
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Jazz wrote:
Slumblor wrote:Image
If only...
Perfect.
Yes!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Or, you could set it up for tip down carry. Safer, and given the placement of the holes, there'd be much less exposure that way.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

The Deacon wrote:Or, you could set it up for tip down carry. Safer, and given the placement of the holes, there'd be much less exposure that way.
Don't know why people say this. It's not at all safer.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wrathhog wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Or, you could set it up for tip down carry. Safer, and given the placement of the holes, there'd be much less exposure that way.
Can't speak for "people" in general, but gravity, combined with the piss poor blade retention of Walker, Reeve Integral, and compression locks is why I say it. Tip down can't swing open, tip up can.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mad german

Post by mad german »

tap78 wrote:At first I did not like Para 3 but after upgrading to Casey Lynch deep pocket clip I'm amazed.... Spyderco Should definately make factory deep pocket clips...
Sal said they don't offer a factory deep carry clip because he knows there are many small businesses that have popped up that make them, and he didn't want to interfere with their entrepreneurship. I say good for you Sal & Spyderco.
My collection is ever changing!
mad german

Post by mad german »

The Deacon wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:
Can't speak for "people" in general, but gravity, combined with the piss poor blade retention of Walker, Reeve Integral, and compression locks is why I say it. Tip down can't swing open, tip up can.
With the detents that are on all of my PM2s and Para 3s, you will NEVER have them open in your pocket if carried tip up.
My collection is ever changing!
anycal

Post by anycal »

The Deacon wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:
Gravity alone can't open a knife, unless it has no detent at all, or you're on Jupiter. If a knife can open easily, it will do so tip up or tip down. All it takes is change in inertia and weak detent.

Of my knives, I have 6 in the locks you mentioned, and none of them have piss poor blade retention. Regardless of lock type, all my knives will open if I flick them hard enough, with or against gravity.
Peter
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

The Deacon wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:
Carrying iwb, tip down is a lot more dangerous than tip up. I carry iwb in running shorts and would never even consider tip down carry. If a knife opens I'm probably cut one way or another but I'd much prefer stitches in my hand vs bleeding out from a main artery in my upper thigh. Carrying tip up in front pocket, the blade is wedged against the side of the pocket making accidental opening almost impossible. I don't see tip down being even remotely safer in any situation.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Jazz wrote:I'm wondering, could someone please post a picture of a Military and Para 3 side by side clipped in a pocket?
I already switched the clip on my Para 3 but I'll try to switch it back in the next couple of days and post a pic for you
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Johnnie1801 wrote: I already switched the clip on my Para 3 but I'll try to switch it back in the next couple of days and post a pic for you
That's a lot of trouble. You don't have to, but I appreciate the offer.
- best wishes, Jazz.