Decisions, decisions...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MountainMan23

Decisions, decisions...

Post by MountainMan23 »

Hey all!
I've recently been looking into purchasing my first Spyderco. I'm stuck between a few. These being: Delica 4 FFG in VG-10 and FRN Handle, Paramilitary 2 or 3 in S30v and G10 Handle, and the Para 2 or 3 in S110v and Blurple G10 Handle. The price between these isn't a problem for me. I'm also fairly new to sharpening, but I'm willing to take the time to learn, and be able to (I'm using Naniwa Pro 400, 1000, 3000, and a StropMan strop with White and Green compounds). I also value edge retention and corrosion resistance. If any of you have any other suggestions, feel free to add them below.
Thanks!
Currently searching for: Para 2 Cruwear, Para 3 Cruwear
npad69

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Post by npad69 »

Get yourself a delica first
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

npad69 wrote:Get yourself a delica first
I agree! I havent found a single task my delica couldn't do.It was my edc for 4 years, zero rust issues with the vg10. It was also my first, with that being said once I bought my pm2 it was easy to retire the delica. Mainly for fear of losing it and sentimental value of the knife. I get better edge retention out of the s30v as well. They all have their pros and cons as far as personal preference goes. Best of luck buddy!
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Get yourself a Delica or Endura, and then make your second one a Caribbean or Pacific Salt. The Caribbean is not out yet but it will not disappoint, nor will the Pacific Salt. Those two are 100 percent rust proof and hold great edges. Do a search on here for posts by SurfGringo and see how the H1 stainless steel functions in full-on salt water and you will likely be sold on it.

If you want a totally rust proof Delica version get the Salt 1.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Delica was my first Spyderco, now I own 7.
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Get yourself a Delica or Endura, and then make your second one a Caribbean or Pacific Salt. The Caribbean is not out yet but it will not disappoint, nor will the Pacific Salt. Those two are 100 percent rust proof and hold great edges. Do a search on here for posts by SurfGringo and see how the H1 stainless steel functions in full-on salt water and you will likely be sold on it.

If you want a totally rust proof Delica version get the Salt 1.
Just make sure that you get the H1 in serrated edge, the plain edge version doesn't hold an edge much better than a butter knife ;) I'm kidding but only a little. The Caribbean with LC200N will hold a great edge for much longer. My first was a Delica 4, it was my gateway Spydie. I gave it away because it was too small for my large hands but was well built.

My next was the Para Military 2, 1 in satin and 1 DLC S30V. I like them a lot but my favorite is the Manix 2. I have 3 and they fit my hand a little better. My light weight M2 is my constant home companion. I wish they made a LW PM2, that would be my greatest want I guess. The PM3 was small for my hand too but was well built.

First Spydie? I'd go with the PM2 out of your options. The edge retention on the S30V or S110V will be better than VG-10, it fits almost everyone's hands, and the US made knives have had much better fit,finish, and function in my experience.
MountainMan23

Post by MountainMan23 »

Thanks to all who gave their input! I'll be ordering a Delica 4 FFG, and a Sharpmaker with UF Rods to do some touch ups!
Currently searching for: Para 2 Cruwear, Para 3 Cruwear
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

MountainMan23 wrote:Thanks to all who gave their input! I'll be ordering a Delica 4 FFG, and a Sharpmaker with UF Rods to do some touch ups!
Excellent bundle you got yourself.