I'm going over to Buck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: I'm going over to Buck

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Buying a cheaper knife that you don't care about damaging so you can pry doesn't make sense to me....
.... I can EDC a Nilakka and never have to worry about edge damage because I only cut things with my knives, my multitool does everything else.
I feel like many of OP's problems could be solved with one of these little guys...
20171028_184058 - Copy.jpg
About the size of a Bic Mini, it has a prybar, bottle opener, a philips and 2 flat heads. The "Shard". ($9)
One of these days Spyderco will finally release some kind of other worldly steel that has an edge that won't chip or get dull when you use it as a pry bar or screw driver, until then I only use my knives to cut things, and carry the less than $10 Shard for all those things you are not supposed to use your knife for. I would hate to give up the awesome cutting power of my Spydies just so I didn't feel bad about using my knife as a screwdriver :(
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Buying a cheaper knife that you don't care about damaging so you can pry doesn't make sense to me....
.... I can EDC a Nilakka and never have to worry about edge damage because I only cut things with my knives, my multitool does everything else.
I feel like many of OP's problems could be solved with one of these little guys...
20171028_184058 - Copy.jpg
About the size of a Bic Mini, it has a prybar, bottle opener, a philips and 2 flat heads. The "Shard". ($9)
One of these days Spyderco will finally release some kind of other worldly steel that has an edge that won't chip or get dull when you use it as a pry bar or screw driver, until then I only use my knives to cut things, and carry the less than $10 Shard for all those things you are not supposed to use your knife for. I would hate to give up the awesome cutting power of my Spydies just so I didn't feel bad about using my knife as a screwdriver :(
I'm really picky about my multitool, even more than my knives. It needs to have a particular set of tools, and so far the Victorinox Spirit is the only one that has the selection and style of tools that I want. I have beat this thing without Mercy for probably 5 years now and haven't had any issues at all. I literally never leave the house without it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote: I'm really picky about my multitool, even more than my knives. It needs to have a particular set of tools, and so far the Victorinox Spirit is the only one that has the selection and style of tools that I want. I have beat this thing without Mercy for probably 5 years now and haven't had any issues at all. I literally never leave the house without it.
The Spirit seems to be a popular choice, I see it in the background of a lot of peoples posts on this forum.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote: Here’s a riddle: two men go fishing. Person A spends countless hours on the internet and in the tackle shops researching what the hottest lures and colors are. He owns 6 tackleboxes full of $4000 dollars worth of lures. He has hardbaits, poppers, softbaits, jigs, you name it. He has every color in the rainbow and knows from his reading what is the hottest color for every situation. Person B has no internet connection. He spends every day on the water fishing his local spot and has done this for years. He has fished every square inch of that water countless times and knows the bottom like the back of his hand. Person B’s lure collection consists of a single 1/2 oz spoon. Which fisherman is more prepared? Which one will never go hungry? Everyone knows the answer to this riddle yet we all play with the fantasy of being able to buy success...because fantasies are fun. I’m sure Buck will be happy to see you. :) Just like the tackle shop is always happy to see me. :rolleyes: :p
Lance would you be so kind as to PM me the details of the 1/2 oz spoon and where to purchase it please? :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote: I'm really picky about my multitool, even more than my knives. It needs to have a particular set of tools, and so far the Victorinox Spirit is the only one that has the selection and style of tools that I want. I have beat this thing without Mercy for probably 5 years now and haven't had any issues at all. I literally never leave the house without it.
The Spirit seems to be a popular choice, I see it in the background of a lot of peoples posts on this forum.

I just want a particular set of tools and unfortunately Leatherman doesn't offer it anymore. I can't stand their driver bits because I want my screwdrivers to be long enough to fit into tight holes and have reach. I want a good pair of scissors, a metal file, a good saw, real screwdrivers, and I'd love to have removable wire cutting blades but I settle on that detail. Victorinox make some of the best multitool saws and files out there and their scissors are way better than Leatherman. I also like that the Spirit has one bit in the center that's double thick to use for prying, but I also use the pliers to pry with most of the time. My one complaint is how all the tools are so highly polished, sometimes the screwdriver tips are a bit slippery and don't bite into screws as well as they could.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Oh... the zombie apocalypse prepping :D
I like this scenario as an academic problem, but reality is different. Every year there are thousands of natural disasters that deserve the true prepping, and as reality shows it requires very few bullets (if any) and lots of water, food, water filters, flashlights and batteries, tools (knives and multi tools included), tents, masks, helmets, etc.
But I understand this is not funny to prepare to, the zombie apocalypse scenario is much more fun.

Now, on the practical question posted by the OP regarding screws and prying, like many others already said carry a mini prybar and a multitool or sak. I carry a cheap (but good quality) pry bar and a learherman squirt so I never have to abuse my knives, be it a spyderco or a 7€ Opinel.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

tripscheck'em wrote:I've become radicalized and a Trump supporter. Accordingly, with a newfound and generous income due to a career change, I'm now running a Kaizen management of personal finances and so am channeling all disposable income into guns, stockpiling ammo, reloading for said ammo, saving up to purchase land, and generally becoming as autonomous as possible. The power wielders of our society clearly despise men like me and want us dead, so I'm planning accordingly. I sold my cts-xhp manix, and now only have a Delica, which is pretty banged up now. So when I look for a Delica replacement with vanadium steel, and see all these $100 plus knives, I also see reloading supplies.
Does Donald Trump want to kill you because you support him? :confused:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spyderco needs to finally enter the gunblade market, then we can win back OP

Which steel and cailber should we go with first? I think H1 & 9mm would make a super practical survival gunblade. .45 is nice but stopping power isn't a big deal when you have a few feet of sharpened steel coming out the business end.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bloke wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:I've become radicalized and a Trump supporter. Accordingly, with a newfound and generous income due to a career change, I'm now running a Kaizen management of personal finances and so am channeling all disposable income into guns, stockpiling ammo, reloading for said ammo, saving up to purchase land, and generally becoming as autonomous as possible. The power wielders of our society clearly despise men like me and want us dead, so I'm planning accordingly. I sold my cts-xhp manix, and now only have a Delica, which is pretty banged up now. So when I look for a Delica replacement with vanadium steel, and see all these $100 plus knives, I also see reloading supplies.
Does Donald Trump want to kill you because you support him? :confused:
I also found these two lines together a bit mystifying.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Donut

Post by Donut »

What the buck?! :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Donut wrote:What the buck?! :)
True Story! :rolleyes:
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

demoncase wrote:
Switching from one manufactured product (regardless of relative cost or merit) to another seems to me a kinda half measure if the end game is 100% self-sufficiency....Doubly so if that person is using said cutting tool as the most expensive and least effective screwdriver ever made.
Excellent point.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Growing up my father and I always fished together a lot. It was the thing we shared the most and we were always very competitive. He would always say, "there are more lures designed to catch fisherman than there are to catch fish." It has actually always been a fairly profound concept for me and it can apply to a lot more than fishing. It has always reminded me to stay pragmatic and focused on what works and what should truly be desired.
Pragmatism has lost it's importance in this guilded age of social safety nets. If society does come crashing down, it will finally get put back on it's pedestal where it belongs.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

tonijedi wrote:Oh... the zombie apocalypse prepping :D

Now, on the practical question posted by the OP regarding screws and prying, like many others already said carry a mini prybar and a multitool or sak. I carry a cheap (but good quality) pry bar and a learherman squirt so I never have to abuse my knives, be it a spyderco or a 7€ Opinel.
I also have many mini-prybars but as Evil D said the Spirit has a very nice double thick flathead-like tool that serves as a dedicated prybar, and it's actually built for that.
I'm with you on the $7 Opinel too :spyder:

vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't EDC it, but I have an old Swisstool that I love. Always preferred it to the full sized Leathermans I've tried. I know exactly what you guys are talking about with that thick flat head that's perfect for prying.

On one of my old Victorinox Soldiers, I sharpened the locking flathead into a chisel. Gives you some additional options when making tools etc. out of wood at camp.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wrathhog wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:I feel like the whole industry is massively inflated.
I have to agree with the guy on this one comment, but we've brought it on ourselves.
As long as there are still low price options (and there are tons of them, and they are also getting better in quality and price all the time), I think we're good.

The fact that something that would have been a hand made custom 15 years ago is now a $400 production knife isn't a bad thing. It's reduced the price of that knife (by moving it into the production realm). And it hasn't hurt the availability of low end beater knives at all.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Yawn. Prepping. I'll just take my head on a stake. Not like I am totally in prepared but the anxiety and obsession isn't worth it if it never happens you'll die 5 years young.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Id rather have a pallet of toilet paper, a pallet of antibiotics, a pallet of everclear, a pallet of rice and beans, a pallet of bic lighters, and a good rifle and pistol combo than any knife. I'd trade a lot of the toilet paper and some lighters for a good victorinox multitool. Wouldn't trade any of it for even a decent single bladed pocket knife.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bodog wrote:Id rather have a pallet of toilet paper, a pallet of antibiotics, a pallet of everclear, a pallet of rice and beans, a pallet of bic lighters, and a good rifle and pistol combo than any knife. I'd trade a lot of the toilet paper and some lighters for a good victorinox multitool. Wouldn't trade any of it for even a decent single bladed pocket knife.
:p I had to laugh a little at this. I couldn't help envisioning you surrounded by pallets of supplies trying to figure out how you're going to open all the packaging. I'm sure you could claw away at that plastic with your fingernails just fine, it just struck me as funny, no offense intended.