I'm going over to Buck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: I'm going over to Buck

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Buying a cheaper knife that you don't care about damaging so you can pry doesn't make sense to me. SAKs are affordable, lightweight and have screwdrivers for prying. A two layer 84mm model is easy to carry with you and can save your knife. Any prepper should have a few Multitools anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I've been hearing lots of people speak like the OP did lately. They seem angry and paranoid at some nebulous group of people somewhere in the world that they feel threatened by. I think it's symptomatic of the same social phenomenon that is starting to grip the world right now, on all sides of the aisle.

I wish "shiny footprints" extended beyond this forum, but it seems like quite the opposite all around. We are quick to undermine everyone and everything, including Spydercos. All knife companies are capable of providing the same things. Each company just has a different style and audience. Buck could produce something similar to a PM2, but they won't.

The OP is looking for a change and creating a narative that can make that change seem important and justified, and to reaffirm their importance in the world. That so many posters on this thread have proposed rational ideas in the face of this manifesto show that there are plenty of good, level-headed people in this world that will eventually prevail as we adjust to constant change and overwhelming population growth that constantly reaffirms our individual insignificance.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Buying a cheaper knife that you don't care about damaging so you can pry doesn't make sense to me. SAKs are affordable, lightweight and have screwdrivers for prying. A two layer 84mm model is easy to carry with you and can save your knife. Any prepper should have a few Multitools anyway.

Yep. As much as I love my knives I'd sooner leave the house without a Spyderco than leave without my multitool. I can EDC a Nilakka and never have to worry about edge damage because I only cut things with my knives, my multitool does everything else.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
animportant

Post by animportant »

I really need to get off the internet.

Gets a high paying job and gets into Donald Trump so needs to prep for SHTF and buy lots of guns and ammo = Spyderco is too expensive?!

Dude you said it, radicalized. Take a step back and think about what you're about to do with your life. Sure being prepared and having a plan isn't terrible but that's how you want to live all the time? Preparing for an event that might never happen?

I think the prepping fad is an excuse to acquire cool stuff that we really wouldn't justify otherwise (I was guilty of this at times so not trying to be condescending) feel cool that we are going to be running around the woods like Daniel Boone one day when society has imploded and we no longer need to show up to work Monday - Friday. Let's be real here, if society crashed life would probably suck.

Go shoot your AR twice and that's a nice Spyderco and multitool right there.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I wonder who you are preparing to defend yourself against? Most people are not going to become predatory killers. The police or military would certainly have you out armed and out manned. If society dissolves I would much rather have a horde of antibiotics than weapons. Paranoia is dangerous and contagious.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

How did this turn into a prepped thread?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tripscheck'em,

Thanx for the thread. One of the best around. I'm really impressed by the group of sensible afi's that choose to visit here. And I Thank them for joining in this thread. It inspires confidence in me that there are still quality, honorable folks around.

Buck is a good company. Good people running an honest business. Eric and I have a lot of respect for the Buck's.

Buy good quality guns. The "cheap" ones often lack performance and reliability. Come by and visit now and then.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I like stockpiling skills and knowledge. They never run out and nobody can take them with you. I also practice self sufficiency and self reliance and have small homestead going. I am prepared to feed myself off my own land and within reason defend my property but if things get bad enough I am confident that I could walk deep into the woods and not look back. My survival skills are pretty good. In that situation skills and knowledge also have the benefit of not weighing very much. You can only carry so much with you. There isn't really much heavier than ammo when you are loading up. I think traveling light and fast and avoiding conflict are better than digging in for the long fight.

David, you are going Mad Max and I am going Red Dawn. Wolverines!!!
Derby, you’re killing me. I had a good post worked up in my head and then you stole all my lines. :rolleyes:

If we are talking “prepping” isn’t that just short for being prepared? The thing is, actually being prepared is far more a state of mind and an accumulation of skills and knowledge than it is a pile of gear and trinkets. I see this all the time in fishing. People LOVE the idea that there is a magic lure or color that will make their fishing successful. They love the idea because it’s a much easier to buy a toy than it is to grow in skill.

Here’s a riddle: two men go fishing. Person A spends countless hours on the internet and in the tackle shops researching what the hottest lures and colors are. He owns 6 tackleboxes full of $4000 dollars worth of lures. He has hardbaits, poppers, softbaits, jigs, you name it. He has every color in the rainbow and knows from his reading what is the hottest color for every situation. Person B has no internet connection. He spends every day on the water fishing his local spot and has done this for years. He has fished every square inch of that water countless times and knows the bottom like the back of his hand. Person B’s lure collection consists of a single 1/2 oz spoon. Which fisherman is more prepared? Which one will never go hungry? Everyone knows the answer to this riddle yet we all play with the fantasy of being able to buy success...because fantasies are fun. I’m sure Buck will be happy to see you. :) Just like the tackle shop is always happy to see me. :rolleyes: :p
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ryno wrote:I've been hearing lots of people speak like the OP did lately. They seem angry and paranoid at some nebulous group of people somewhere in the world that they feel threatened by. I think it's symptomatic of the same social phenomenon that is starting to grip the world right now, on all sides of the aisle.

I wish "shiny footprints" extended beyond this forum, but it seems like quite the opposite all around. We are quick to undermine everyone and everything, including Spydercos. All knife companies are capable of providing the same things. Each company just has a different style and audience. Buck could produce something similar to a PM2, but they won't.

The OP is looking for a change and creating a narative that can make that change seem important and justified, and to reaffirm their importance in the world. That so many posters on this thread have proposed rational ideas in the face of this manifesto show that there are plenty of good, level-headed people in this world that will eventually prevail as we adjust to constant change and overwhelming population growth that constantly reaffirms our individual insignificance.
Excellent post Ryno!
animportant

Post by animportant »

zhyla wrote:How did this turn into a prepped thread?
Did you read section 2 of post #1?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

What set the tone for me in the OPs comments was his image of prying out a loose screw with his knife blade. In my mind, this meant that he didn’t really care about quality, or about doing the job right. If you will grab anything handy to use for an immediate need, what does this say about how you relate to other aspects of life, like friends, acquaintances and ideas. How about planning realistically for the future? I am not surprised that he now fantasizes about forting up in the woods with his guns and reloading equipment prepared to stave off the apocalypse. This is a popular fictional and cinematic theme but if one looks at history, at what happened when some idiots did set the world on fire, it never works out that way.

I think that individual freedoms, enshrined in the Constitution are our safeguards to maintaining and improving our lives. There is room for everyone who supports and lives by those ideals. Working to keep them alive and to oppose those who would tear them down is much more important than preparing to hide out in the woods.

Now, about Buck. I have to thank Buck Knives for introducing me to the lockback folding knife in the 1970s. As I’ve said before, I still have my old Buck Ranger with black micarta scales and those heavy brass bolsters. I carried that knife all around Colorado and on a long driving camping trip to Alaska and back in 1976. Buck will replace the ground down blade if I send it in, but they make them with those nail nicks and I don’t like ‘em. Seems the original Ranger blade is no longer made. I like Buck, but Spyderco fits my life better these days.

I’d never pry a loose screw with a Buck or a Spyderco. Probably go find a screw driver.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

bearfacedkiller wrote: They never run out and nobody can take them with you.

I meant to say and nobody can take them FROM you.
Surfingringo wrote:
Darby, you’re killing me. I had a good post worked up in my head and then you stole all my lines. :rolleyes:
Growing up my father and I always fished together a lot. It was the thing we shared the most and we were always very competitive. He would always say, "there are more lures designed to catch fisherman than there are to catch fish." It has actually always been a fairly profound concept for me and it can apply to a lot more than fishing. It has always reminded me to stay pragmatic and focused on what works and what should truly be desired.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Beware epiphanies. Sometimes they can lead you astray.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote: They never run out and nobody can take them with you.

I meant to say and nobody can take them FROM you.
Surfingringo wrote:
Darby, you’re killing me. I had a good post worked up in my head and then you stole all my lines. :rolleyes:
Growing up my father and I always fished together a lot. It was the thing we shared the most and we were always very competitive. He would always say, "there are more lures designed to catch fisherman than there are to catch fish." It has actually always been a fairly profound concept for me and it can apply to a lot more than fishing. It has always reminded me to stay pragmatic and focused on what works and what should truly be desired.
It’s also like the old guide told me after watching me unsuccessfully try to hook visible rainbows feeding under a submerged boulder lip in the South Platte: “They may not have seen every fly, but they’ve seen every drift.”
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Have fun prepping for TEOTWAWKI.

And remember "Right tool for the right job". If you are getting sloppy and using your Delica for prying you fowled up that rule. Try not to be so casual when it comes to reloading - mistakes there mean more than a messed up knife.

Now I need to decide what Spyderco goes well in a Mad Max scenario? Rock Salt maybe? Szabo Hawk is another strong contender.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Halfneck wrote:Now I need to decide what Spyderco goes well in a Mad Max scenario? Rock Salt maybe? Szabo Hawk is another strong contender.
One vote for a serrated Spyder Hawk. :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Rock Salt or a Hossom Forager will be my first choice.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

tripscheck'em wrote: So when I look for a Delica replacement with vanadium steel, and see all these $100 plus knives, I also see reloading supplies.
More than $50 but not too bad.

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-del ... zfpyl.html
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Gonna throw this one out there but: If you're really prepping for civilisation falling down and go boom....Should you not be learning how to make knives yourself from bar and do the ol' backyard heat-treatment?

Switching from one manufactured product (regardless of relative cost or merit) to another seems to me a kinda half measure if the end game is 100% self-sufficiency....Doubly so if that person is using said cutting tool as the most expensive and least effective screwdriver ever made.

FYI: My idea of prepping is ordering Dominos at work so it arrives 5 minutes after I get home so I may not be your best source of advice on this (Yay for the internet!) :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

shunsui wrote:
Halfneck wrote:Now I need to decide what Spyderco goes well in a Mad Max scenario? Rock Salt maybe? Szabo Hawk is another strong contender.
One vote for a serrated Spyder Hawk. :D

why not both? One in the belt, one in the pocket :D
SAK and MT for utility purpose, prying and stuff

of course, if I'm going into the woods or urban chaos I'd rather do as Evil D said, and take a Multitool or a decently sized SAK before any of my Spydercos. As beautiful as they look in between trees, to me it's more versatile and useful if going into the "wild west" than these edged beauties
For defensive purpose there's guns, wooden sticks, rocks and steel pipes, but there's no way you're turning a screw or cutting wire fence cable with any of those

all in all, and agreeing with previous posts, I'll take my Multitool, SAK with wood saw and Scary Spyderco that won't ever rust on me and be set for life ;)