I'm going over to Buck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: I'm going over to Buck

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Having a knife in that situation would save you a hundred years.

sal
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

In regards to Spyderco knives, I still haven't found anything I like more for the money. I keep trying other stuff, but I always come back here eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if you did, too.

As far as prepping, I wish more people would take the prophylactic approach; vaccination over stockpiling of band-aids and painkillers. If you spent part of your ammo budget on charities, for example, or used your free time to volunteer, help people around you or just generally try and make the world a better place, you just might see your paranoia subside and give way to hope and positivity.

There's a lot of good in the world, but I can't see how such attitude contributes anything to it. It's really hard not to look at "preppers" as part of the problem, not the solution.

Personally, I'd rather be dead than part of a world that has completely lost its humanity.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

PaleMoon wrote:There's a lot of good in the world, but I can't see how such attitude contributes anything to it. It's really hard not to look at "preppers" as part of the problem, not the solution.

Personally, I'd rather be dead than part of a world that has completely lost its humanity.
There is, perhaps, a fine line between self-sufficiency and doomsday prepping. Take Mormons, for example. I'm not Mormon, but my understanding is they prep for their neighbors as well. I doubt that effort contributes to the decay of civilization, but rather the opposite.

Definitely a good point you bring up though.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There is a difference between being prepared and being paranoid and preppers can fall into either category. Paranoia and obsession usually describe mental health problems.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bearfacedkiller wrote:There is a difference between being prepared and being paranoid and preppers can fall into either category. Paranoia and obsession usually describe mental health problems.
It's a fine grey line between the two.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

PaleMoon wrote:In regards to Spyderco knives, I still haven't found anything I like more for the money. I keep trying other stuff, but I always come back here eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if you did, too.

As far as prepping, I wish more people would take the prophylactic approach; vaccination over stockpiling of band-aids and painkillers. If you spent part of your ammo budget on charities, for example, or used your free time to volunteer, help people around you or just generally try and make the world a better place, you just might see your paranoia subside and give way to hope and positivity.

There's a lot of good in the world, but I can't see how such attitude contributes anything to it. It's really hard not to look at "preppers" as part of the problem, not the solution.

looking forward to the downfall of the world as we know it does seem counterproductive.

on the other hand, I can point out several hurricanes/natural disasters where proper preparation ASSISTS positivity and community spirit.

whynotboth.jpeg
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well first off I want to start out by saying that I personally have a lot of respect for the BUCK Knife Co. Back in the 70s ( you know when the dinosaurs were still on the earth :rolleyes: ) I actually cut my blade loving teeth on Buck and Ka-Bar knives. I still own some Buck Knives and some of them I'll probably keep for some time to come.

But back in the 90s ( after the dinosaurs became extinct :rolleyes: ) I started to take a hard look at the entire knife market and I actually got to really appreciating high end knives by starting out with Benchmade units but it wasn't long that I stumbled onto Spyderco and I haven't looked back since.

Well I got into Spyderco out of curiosity because I wanted to get a super high quality serrated blade and at that time no one was competing with Spyderco and to my knowledge I haven't seen any other knife companies come close to Spyderco in that category IMO. Also Spyderco had such a great selection of Specialty type blades like Hawkbills, Reverse S blades, folding fillet knives and a super selection of very high performance kitchen knives.

It would take one extremely innovative knife company to draw me away from Spyderco. Since Spyderco became my favorite knife company back in the 90s I really haven't look anywhere else since then. Because they truly do meet all of my cutlery needs and go beyond that as well. But again I have a ton of respect for the BUCK company because in many ways they are truly a vibrant piece of Americana. I actually got the privilege of meeting Chuck Buck before he passed away and he was like talking to your next door neighbor. But I'll be a SpyderHead for a long time to come I'm 99% certain of it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think most of this forum grew up loving Buck. A 110 was an important part of my childhood. Any knife nut over a certain age will likely have much respect for them. Quality, US made and a customer friendly company.

A Buck 110, Old Timer Stockmen and SAKs were pretty much all I carried in my childhood and I am still fond of them all today.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I think most of this forum grew up loving Buck. A 110 was an important part of my childhood. Any knife nut over a certain age will likely have much respect for them. Quality, US made and a customer friendly company.

A Buck 110, Old Timer Stockmen and SAKs were pretty much all I carried in my childhood and I am still fond of them all today.
It's a love hate relationship for me. Love because as you said if you're of a certain age you almost certainly had one or at least a knock off of one and I had many of both. But, it's also hate because it wasn't until I discovered pocket clips and one handed opening that I started carrying a knife everyday. I've always hated carrying them loose in my pocket and never liked belt sheaths.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I think most of this forum grew up loving Buck. A 110 was an important part of my childhood. Any knife nut over a certain age will likely have much respect for them. Quality, US made and a customer friendly company.

It's a love hate relationship for me. Love because as you said if you're of a certain age you almost certainly had one or at least a knock off of one and I had many of both. But, it's also hate because it wasn't until I discovered pocket clips and one handed opening that I started carrying a knife everyday. I've always hated carrying them loose in my pocket and never liked belt sheaths.
Not to derail this most interesting thread but that's a great point you make there EVIL D about Buck's old standard belt sheath having a lot to be desired because by the time you un-snap it from a belt sheath you most definitely have a slow deployment time unfortunately. You would think that Buck or any premium knife company would by now have engineered some type of a "snap-it" type sheath similar to the TEK-LOK sheath that came standard on Spyderco's TEMPERANCE 1 model would sure make "sheath carry" more desirable.

Sal Glesser and Spyderco in general changed the entire landscape of Every Day Carry by implementing the pocket clip which made Every Day Carry a lot more proficient>> not to mention all of the folders that got lost by the old means of pocket carry :( I wish I had a $5 bill for every folder I lost over the years before the Spyderco pocket clip hit the scene because I could take an extensive vacation and probably spend money like a drunken sailor as well.

Buck always had high quality units ( for their time period) but they fell short on innovations in my humble opinion and to a large degree failed to keep up with the times.. Which is why the market for Spyderco's cool innovations and better quality has completely changed the overall landscape for commercially made folders and fixed blades. Not to mention all the great specialty knives that virtually no one else will even dare to compete with Spyderco i.e. Hawkbills, Reverse S blades, and a huge array of specialty knives that no other knife company offers at all.

But GOD bless my Brother who has decided to go over to BUCK>> because they are truly USA made and they are truly Americana>> and I love to support USA made companies.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I jumped on the bandwagon pretty quick, with two 110's from the late 60's to the late 70's. A 119 was used as often as not as a camp knife through the 80's.

Always had the impression that Buck set the stage for the next era, of more progressively innovative production knife making led by companies like Al Mar, Spyderco etc. They gave the industry more visibility to consumers who otherwise would not have thought of the idea of buying a non-kitchen knife. Of course in Hawaii back then, we missed out on access to a lot of the good stuff.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'm going to disagree a bit about the belt sheath for the 110. I really like it. It keeps a big knife out of my pocket and in a place where it's easy to get at. So long as my hands are warm(I have Raynauds) opening it one-handed is easy. Closing it one-handed is easy enough but a little less safe. Sure, clips are sexy. But do they really add that much? Not in my world, where stockmen and SAKs still have a place. In my mind, Buck is aiming at the big market of hunters and tradesmen who aren't knife geeks. Spyderco sells a lot of pocket jewellery ... different strokes.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I gave up my Buck sheath and made one that held the knife securely and accessible by one hand. It’s been across the western US and to Alaska and back and served daily on the mountain farm and in town both. I think a well designed sheath can compliment most any knife. One of the best things about carrying in a good sheath is you never have the clip in the way while using the knife.

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

MichaelScott wrote:I gave up my Buck sheath and made one that held the knife securely and accessible by one hand. It’s been across the western US and to Alaska and back and served daily on the mountain farm and in town both. I think a well designed sheath can compliment most any knife. One of the best things about carrying in a good sheath is you never have the clip in the way while using the knife.

Yes, it’s pretty old and beat up, kind of like me. I bought that Buck when I was in my early thirties. I will be seventy-five in a few days. Life is good.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In regards to Spyderco knives, I still haven't found anything I like more for the money. I keep trying other stuff, but I always come back here eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if you did, too.

I call bull$#!^. When you have to fight to keep alive you will. It's genetics. If you aren't striving to stay alive you are not superior morally but defective somewhere in your person. I agree that people should volunteer and give to charity and much more. I do. In addition they should do everything possible to insure the future well being of their family and community. These are not mutually exclusive. Quite the opposite. You seem to think of prepping as some type of unusual behavior but in truth yours is the unusual behavior. Don't fall for the stereotype of the doomsday cult. It isn't reality for the majority of people who just do the prudent thing and plan for events that they hopefully will never see. I hope my house will not have an electrical fire yet if I don't carry insurance for it I'm not very smart. Same thing if I have a family I should plan to see to their welfare just as my grandparents did on the farm planning for a bad harvest yet hoping it's a good one. Thinking it's just paranoia shows a lack of comprehension of not only human nature but also human history on earth.

Joe
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The Mastiff wrote:

I call bull$#!^. When you have to fight to keep alive you will. It's genetics. If you aren't striving to stay alive you are not superior morally but defective somewhere in your person. I agree that people should volunteer and give to charity and much more. I do. In addition they should do everything possible to insure the future well being of their family and community. These are not mutually exclusive. Quite the opposite. You seem to think of prepping as some type of unusual behavior but in truth yours is the unusual behavior. Don't fall for the stereotype of the doomsday cult. It isn't reality for the majority of people who just do the prudent thing and plan for events that they hopefully will never see. I hope my house will not have an electrical fire yet if I don't carry insurance for it I'm not very smart. Same thing if I have a family I should plan to see to their welfare just as my grandparents did on the farm planning for a bad harvest yet hoping it's a good one. Thinking it's just paranoia shows a lack of comprehension of not only human nature but also human history on earth.

Joe
Interesting point, lack of preparation is giving in to the creature comforts that we all expect.
I live in california and we could have a big earthquake anytime which would stresss the availability of what we regularly expect to be available to us. We need more preparation, but people seem to just be lazy about it, myself included.

Trips, the op, did ruffle my feathers on here once but all of forgiven. I hope trips has a healthy break and comes back sometime when he is ready.
vivi

Post by vivi »

gaj999 wrote:I'm going to disagree a bit about the belt sheath for the 110. I really like it. It keeps a big knife out of my pocket and in a place where it's easy to get at. So long as my hands are warm(I have Raynauds) opening it one-handed is easy. Closing it one-handed is easy enough but a little less safe. Sure, clips are sexy. But do they really add that much? Not in my world, where stockmen and SAKs still have a place. In my mind, Buck is aiming at the big market of hunters and tradesmen who aren't knife geeks. Spyderco sells a lot of pocket jewellery ... different strokes.
There isn't anything about a pocket clip that makes a knife less functional, or pocket jewellery ;)

Spyderco makes plenty of knives aimed at the working man. I'd take a Cara Cara over a 110 myself. Easier to open one handed, lighter, more secure lockback design (I've taken them both apart to look at their locks), more carry options, more comfortable & secure handle design, etc. The only advantage the 110 has, for me, is being USA made. As far as the function of the tool though, nothing.
:unicorn
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I've seen a Buck 110 drawn from a sheath and opened with one hand every bit as fast as the average Joe deploys a pocket-clip knife. That was before knives became "tactical."
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Mastiff wrote:

Joe
I see where you’re coming from Joe but I see what the previous poster was saying too. I think the key is the ratio between how hard we are fighting and how real the threat is. I see a lot of folks in this world that spend their entire lives fighting against people, institutions, and imagined circumstances that aren’t even threatening them. This most often leads to the world/society giving them exactly what they fear.

Is it prudent to carry insurance on your house in case of fire? Absolutely. If, however, your fear of your house burning down is so consuming that you spend all your money on firefighting equipment and are so obsessed with the impending doom that you can’t even leave your property then prudence has given way to obsession. I would think that pale moon’s advice was intended for those that are spending a disproportionate amount of time and energy preparing for the worst in the world instead of using at least some of that energy to make their world better.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sod’s Law dictates that whatever scenario you prepare for, what actually happens will be significantly different.

It’s interesting watching older movies about the future. Not one that I’ve seen predicted our mobile technology. As a consequence, their vision of “now” always just look bizarre!

Rather than trying to predict indeterminate future apocalypses, and stockpiling baubles, we would be far better off putting our efforts into not repeating past ones.