carrot wrote:Since you're looking at a pretty wide variety of knives, I thought it'd be helpful to characterize them.
- Delica: the standard bearer for "every day carry". Light, slim, discreet. Versatile and a great performer (in FFG variant especially) but a little vanilla.
- Native: the "afi's choice". Similar to the Delica but has the crowd-pleasing finger choil for fine tip control. Carries a little wider and higher than the Delica, so less discreet. A little more comfortable for longer cutting chores.
- Dragonfly: the truly discreet carry. Great for urban use, cuts way outside its size class. Good if you like to be subtle, or carry the lightest, smallest tool for the job.
- Cat: urban knife for big hands. Similar to the Dragonfly but with much bigger hand-filling handles.
- Manix 2 LW: full-sized knife without the weight. Similar to the Native, but bigger. Perfectly fits in the hand and great for extended use. The wire clip and light weight make this knife feel invisible in the pocket.
- Raven and Crow: tough knives for casual users. These knives are thicker than they look and can take a beating. They trade some slicing ability to gain a sturdier build for users who may apply their knives to light prying duty. I'd characterize them as full-sized knives, despite their blade lengths suggesting a smaller stature.
- Chaparral: right in between the Delica and Dragonfly in blade length, but with a wonderful handle. Very slim, daintier than the Delica and Cat. Again a great choice if you like to be subtle and carry the smallest tool for the job.
You should also look at the Polestar and Alcyone. They're tough knives also, but slicing performance is on par or better than the aficionado classic, the Paramilitary 2.
thanks for the info, very handy - there's a lot to remember to place each knife correctly in my mind! The Alcyone is very nice I must admit. Im very keen on the frn chaparral, I liked the chaparral a lot, but discounted it for being over budget, hearing there is a lw version coming was good news. The native is very close behind though so it may still go for one of those in can't wait for the chaparral.. the 3" blade maybe slightly more suitable anyway