Can this be done with a Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Blooey

Can this be done with a Delica?

Post by Jim Blooey »

I really screwed up my Stainless Delica.
I'm wondering if anyone (or Spyderco) can do work like I need.

If I didn't have a sentimental factor in this knife, I wouldn't be going to all this trouble.

I got (and had engraved) a cool stainless Delica.

But..... on a whim, I decided I wished it was serrated instead of plain.

Soooo... I took it to a local guy who serrated it for me and I thought he did a respectable job. :)

Then.... in my infinite wisdom (read "foolishness") I decided I really DID like the plain edge better and had same guy do an UN-serration. On SAME blade. :eek:

Now, for some unknown reason, he ground down the kick and returned it and I discovered that he ground it down SO far that the edge was smacking the backspring and dulling it every time it was closed.

I successfully got the edge reprofiled down ENOUGH to clear the backspring.

BUT..... AND HERE'S MY REQUEST

Can anyone grind the last pic down from Line B to Line A (the edge) and THIN the partially hollow ground portion to a sort of saber grind and finer?

If you can or know anyone who could, please contact me. After his grinding on the kick, I don't want to go back to the original modifier.

Thanks.

I guess I don't know how to do images on here but this is the link to the picture.

https://imgur.com/Ac7gUj4
Jim Blooey

Re: Can this be done with a Delica?

Post by Jim Blooey »

I read the Spyderco FAQ and saw that they will not replace a blade so that's why I'm seeking another path.

Thanks.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Oh jeez. That's all sorts of effed up. Could you buy another and have someone pop the old blade out and put a new one in?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

What he said.. ^^

That blade must be more of a wedge than an edge by now :O
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Jim Blooey

Post by Jim Blooey »

Yes it is. I have no idea how to get a blade into (or OUT of) a solid stainless "no screws" Delica.

And yes, I feel stupid for even messing with it.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Justa thought, the original modder may have had to grind the 'kick' to get the blade edge/tip to go inside the handle when the knife was closed. After adding and removing serrations the tip may have been left sticking out. (I have some old knives that had been severely oversharpened and have resorted to this method to reseat the blade farther down between the scales.)

It also may have been an oopsie depending on how he was grinding it and what type of equipment he was using.

Grizz
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yikes. That is some really nice engraving. My first thought was to get another Delica and do a blade swap but then I realized that SS Delica is pinned. I'm not sure man. Good luck and hopefully someone comes up with a viable solution.
Jim Blooey

Post by Jim Blooey »

I'd guess an "oopsie" as the blade now lies so low that it's kinda silly.

There would have been plenty of room in the handle for the blade without grinding the kick.

That's one reason I don't want to send it back to the same guy.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

For what it's worth, (which is not much at this point) it looks like the guy did some very nice work on the serrations.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

One not so good repair may be to find a TIG welder that can weld stainless and have him run a bead where the kick was and build up that area. It could be ground a bit for looks. TIG would be used for stainless blade and heat regulation.

No solution looks like a great way out of this mess, though even the hollow ground looks pretty good.
therealPlatonicForms

Post by therealPlatonicForms »

Beautiful engraving on that delica... If this were my knife I would try to find someone who can use a second delica as a donor for the blade/lock assembly (they are matched parts). I would then have the pins drilled, you only have to clear the top of the pin, and replaced with screws/backspacer for the donor. They will need to countersink the screws. I would go with someone very reputable and be prepared to spend a couple bucks....

Interesting problem though, please keep us posted on what you end up doing.
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

Would it be possible to drill out the pins, disassemble, and then install the engraved scales on a new donor Delica?
Donut

Post by Donut »

The kick is the stop, don't grind that down! =\

Maybe if you just remove some more of the blade, when it closes it could land back on the stop. I'm not sure how much you have to remove.

It would probably be good to put that in a display case and buy a new "user" one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Probably Josh @ Razor Edge Knives over BF can help do the swap ... or Bill de Shiv.
Chris :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why don't you contact Spyderco instead of assuming? They certainly do not have to fix the knife, but you never know.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Surfingringo wrote:For what it's worth, (which is not much at this point) it looks like the guy did some very nice work on the serrations.
I was going to say the same thing. Almost looks factory.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Save yourself the trouble and the money.Get another one,and have it engraved by the same guy,he is a great artist.
You will never be able to get the feathers back on that chicken,like my grandmother used to say.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Jim Blooey

Post by Jim Blooey »

His serrations look factory, but grinding that kick so far has kept me from using him any more.

The only reason I don't just put it aside and get another is that I have more Delicas than you can shake a stick at.
Well, you COULD shake sticks at them....but....as I said, there is a sentimental attachment to the way I got it.

So......

I emailed Spyderco and they called back and it is on the way to them right now and they are going to do....

What....they..... can.....

with it.

That's as far as I'm going with this. :rolleyes:

I actually like my OLD style Endura with my modded clip and my filework more than the Delica anyway.
http://s14.postimg.org/xnf0fnl8h/Endura_EDC.jpg

Then too, I have my stainless Endura

http://s33.postimg.org/4m420krgf/enduraright.jpg

But I gave that one to my grandson so I guess all I really have left is the screwed up Delica and that Police as far as engraved ones go.

Actually, that's machine engraving so I must blush. :o
Jim Blooey

Post by Jim Blooey »

And I'd really like to know why I can't post images from the URL on this forum when I can on almost all other forums I play with.
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

Jim Blooey wrote:And I'd really like to know why I can't post images from the URL on this forum when I can on almost all other forums I play with.
Does it not work with img tags on either side of the url like so (in the red box at the bottom of the screenshot)?

Good luck with your Delica. Beautiful engravings on that and your Endura.