New Warranty Covers (Some) Disassembly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

New Warranty Covers (Some) Disassembly

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but today's email had a link to the new warranty. It now covers knives that have been disassembled and properly reassembled.
Spyderco’s knives are assembled to exacting tolerances by trained technicians, so we discourage end users from disassembling or adjusting our knives. If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty.
https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/
ZrowsN1s

Re: New Warranty Covers (Some) Disassembly

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Seems fair. That reminds me I need to call the SFO and get some replacement screws for my Yojimbo. I mangled a few of them doing my handle swap last month (my own fault for not using better tools, and not being more patient with the locktite. I have since purchased a better set of torx drivers) :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

I wonder how many screw requests are made because of red loctite?
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Wrathhog wrote:I wonder how many screw requests are made because of red loctite?
They stopped using red loctite.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

fanglekai wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:I wonder how many screw requests are made because of red loctite?
Yes I'm aware
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Sounds fair to me
brancron

Post by brancron »

The previous warranty was pretty clear that it just didn't cover damage caused by disassembly, not that disassembly voided the warranty, notwithstanding the fact that some Spyderco reps on this very forum seemed confused about that fact. But that is all water under the bridge; props on them for making it crystal clear!
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I always found it humorous that everybody was *****ing about disassembly when it came to Spyderco, yet the Spydie warranty has always permitted it, and furthermore the Spydie warranty is quite similar to the Chris Reeves warranty. You know, that small shop which makes Sebenzas, whose former executive kept a hotline for Hephaestus to call for advice.
brancron

Post by brancron »

RLDubbya wrote:I always found it humorous that everybody was *****ing about disassembly when it came to Spyderco, yet the Spydie warranty has always permitted it, and furthermore the Spydie warranty is quite similar to the Chris Reeves warranty. You know, that small shop which makes Sebenzas, whose former executive kept a hotline for Hephaestus to call for advice.
To be fair, the confusion was caused by Michael Janich and TazKristi:

I know I said this was "water under the bridge" in a previous post, but the fact that these two reps were so clearly wrong about the clear terms of the warranty (which stated only that it didn't cover “damage caused by…disassembly”, not that disassembly voided the warranty), and the fact that they didn't ever apologize (to my knowledge) for their blatant misstatements, still rubs me the wrong way. In fact, Janich had the gall to write "This aspect of our warranty has been widely misinterpreted to infer that disassembly of a Spyderco knife automatically voids its warranty. This is not the case." He did so in this April 2017 post: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1145576
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

brancron wrote:I know I said this was "water under the bridge" in a previous post, but the fact that these two reps were so clearly wrong about the clear terms of the warranty (which stated only that it didn't cover “damage caused by…disassembly”, not that disassembly voided the warranty), and the fact that they didn't ever apologize (to my knowledge) for their blatant misstatements, still rubs me the wrong way. In fact, Janich had the gall to write "This aspect of our warranty has been widely misinterpreted to infer that disassembly of a Spyderco knife automatically voids its warranty. This is not the case." He did so in this April 2017 post: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1145576
The sad fact is that the post by TazKristi which you quoted was made over seven years ago, and confirmed on multiple occasions over the years. If she "misspoke" at that time, I'd think Spyderco management would have corrected and clarified things quickly, especially given that her post quickly drew quite a bit of negative response. I find it really hard to believe it was only in the past few months this came to their attention and was more than a little annoyed that, rather than simply saying they were revising policy, they made it sound like she was mistaken.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

The Deacon wrote:
brancron wrote:I know I said this was "water under the bridge" in a previous post, but the fact that these two reps were so clearly wrong about the clear terms of the warranty (which stated only that it didn't cover “damage caused by…disassembly”, not that disassembly voided the warranty), and the fact that they didn't ever apologize (to my knowledge) for their blatant misstatements, still rubs me the wrong way. In fact, Janich had the gall to write "This aspect of our warranty has been widely misinterpreted to infer that disassembly of a Spyderco knife automatically voids its warranty. This is not the case." He did so in this April 2017 post: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1145576
The sad fact is that the post by TazKristi which you quoted was made over seven years ago, and confirmed on multiple occasions over the years. If she "misspoke" at that time, I'd think Spyderco management would have corrected and clarified things quickly, especially given that her post quickly drew quite a bit of negative response. I find it really hard to believe it was only in the past few months this came to their attention and was more than a little annoyed that, rather than simply saying they were revising policy, they made it sound like she was mistaken.
It really doesn't matter what the new warranty says as far as I'm concerned. I just had first hand experience with their warranty department and this is all I'll say. Spyderco better continue to make decent knives because they won't retain customers based on warranty and customer service. This coming from a loyal Spyderco customer. They can greatly improve in both areas imo.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The way I understood it was the policy has always been, to paraphrase, "If you damage your knife or lose pieces taking it apart or putting it back together, Spyderco is not responsible.". Explicitly stating that disassembly voids the warranty, with exceptions to be determined solely by Spyderco accomplishes this. They assume no liability for you taking your knife apart, but if at their sole discretion they determine that the "issue" with the knife has nothing to do with you taking it apart, and is in fact a manufacturing defect, they will honor the warranty.

Compare this to...

"If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty.".... In other words, "If you damage your knife or lose pieces taking it apart or putting it back together, Spyderco is not responsible.". This is the exact same policy just worded differently. The semantics and the tone of these statements are different but the resulting policy is the same.

Before Disassembly voided the warranty with them reserving the right to honor it.
Now Disassembly doesn't void the warranty with them reserving the right to void it.
What's the difference? It is still at their sole discretion whether or not to honor the warrranty based on the condition of the knife.

Hasn't this been thoroughly litigated enough already guys?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Wrathhog wrote:
fanglekai wrote:
Yes I'm aware
You used the present tense as if you were unaware of the change.
Nate

Post by Nate »

brancron wrote:
I know I said this was "water under the bridge" in a previous post, but the fact that these two reps were so clearly wrong about the clear terms of the warranty (which stated only that it didn't cover “damage caused by…disassembly”, not that disassembly voided the warranty), and the fact that they didn't ever apologize (to my knowledge) for their blatant misstatements, still rubs me the wrong way. In fact, Janich had the gall to write "This aspect of our warranty has been widely misinterpreted to infer that disassembly of a Spyderco knife automatically voids its warranty. This is not the case." He did so in this April 2017 post: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1145576
He also wrote:

"...my use of the word "misinterpreted" was inaccurate. I apologize for any misunderstanding that may have caused."
Michael Janich wrote:Dear Deacon (and All):

Thank you for reminding us of Kristi's post of August 2010. Like my post of this morning, it represented Spyderco's stated policy as established and defined by our Management Team. And, like my post of this morning, Kristi's post was made to clarify our policy in response to a specific issue.

If you think back to the early part of 2010, our new product releases included the Endura and Delica Lightweights with various handle colors. Unlike the limited selection of basic black, foliage green, and British Racing Green (ZDP-189) that had been available prior to that time, our customers suddenly had a choice of orange, blue, green, gray, brown, and purple--but only with full-flat-ground, PlainEdge, VG-10 blades. Many customers wanted a bright handle color, but also wanted a different blade--like a saber-ground CombinationEdge. So, they bought two knives, got out their Torx kit, and went to work. Most had no problem, paid attention to detail, and created their perfect FrankenSpyderco. Unfortunately, a significant number of customers who attempted the handle swap could not complete the project (getting a back lock together is actually harder than you think) or ended up damaging parts of their knives (especially the backspacer) in the process.

Of the latter group, some were honest and upfront about their intent, sent the parts for their knives back to us in a baggie, and asked us to assemble them into a knife again. They also understood that the labor involved in assembling a product from raw parts has value and were willing to pay the fee we typically charge for such services. Unfortunately, other customers were less understanding and less forthright, insisting that their purposely disassembled knives should be reassembled under warranty and free of charge.

By August 2010, this problem had become a serious issue and a tremendous drain on the time of our Warranty Repair technicians. Sal and Eric considered the issue thoughtfully and tasked Kristi with posting on the forum to clarify our policy. As Kristi's post states, "If we can tell that a knife has been disassembled (whether it's a FrankenSpyder or not) the warranty is technically void."

With the benefit of that history, it's now important to understand the difference between our warranty POLICY and our warranty PRACTICE. As Kristi's post also states, "Every item that is sent in to W&R is evaluated individually and on a case by case basis. Every situation is different. We will always handle W&R issues in a fair and proper way."

Truth be told, our Warranty Repair technicians receive knives that have been disassembled all the time. In most cases, the knives have been reassembled with proper attention to detail so as not to compromise the proper mechanical function of the knife. If that's the case and one of the parts fails because of a defect in materials or workmanship, they exercise their discretion to repair or replace it at no charge as if the warranty were still in full force. Because the warranty is technically void, they are not OBLIGATED to honor it, but CHOOSE to.

Conversely, when they receive a bag containing most of the parts to a Spyderco knife and a nasty note claiming the knife "fell apart" in the customer's pocket, they are once again free to use their discretion. In that case, they understandably adhere strictly to the letter of the stated policy.

I wrote this morning's post on Spyderco's behalf and take full responsibility for its wording. After I wrote it, it was reviewed and approved by our Management Team before I posted it to the forum. To be honest, I did not take Kristi's six-year-old post into consideration when I wrote mine and actually didn't even remember it. My focus was on explaining the changes to the wording and intent of the current stated policy in our catalog and on our web site. Having reviewed Kristi's post, in hindsight, my use of the word "misinterpreted" was inaccurate. I apologize for any misunderstanding that may have caused.

The world changes with time. Like everyone else, Spyderco does its best to change with it. Our values and our deep commitment to our customers, however, remain constant and steadfast.

Stay safe,

Mike
Can't believe we're all still here beating the dead horse, but there you go.
:spyder:
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

fanglekai wrote:
Wrathhog wrote:
fanglekai wrote:
Yes I'm aware
You used the present tense as if you were unaware of the change.
Present tense, yes. Still buying new knives with red loctite. Other than new models, Im sure it will be a while before the supply of red loctite knives are depleted.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Sounds MORE THAN REASONABLE...wouldn't expect Sal to subsidize someone's FUBAR attempt at disassembly...

even considering the countless F-ups they're no doubt deluged with on a daily basis-- I've found Charlynn and W&R crew to be VERY VERY accommodating <all things considered>! Thnx much :spyder: :D
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

This is a beautiful warranty, which addresses all of the concerns I'd had previously. The fact that CQI applies even to warranties is a beautiful thing. Thanks, Spyderco.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!