Nirvana 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rybu0305

Nirvana 2

Post by rybu0305 »

Will there be a Nirvana 2? Something with a less expensive steel and two piece construction instead of integral. I love the size and design but just two expensive and I can't find any discontinued on discount.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Flipping Addict

Re: Nirvana 2

Post by Flipping Addict »

All I want is satin blade, lockbar insert, and 3.5 inch blade. Done. I’m in.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I wouldn’t want it any smaller. Just make it a two piece titanium frame lock and different steel, stainless or not.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thinner higher height grind to improve balance and cutting. Satin finish.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

rybu0305 wrote:Will there be a Nirvana 2? Something with a less expensive steel and two piece construction instead of integral. I love the size and design but just two expensive and I can't find any discontinued on discount.
Spyderco was showing his Paysan model at the knife show in Oregon, so I’m hopeful that knife is released someday.

I would not be interested in the Nirvana you describe above though. That’s not a nirvana..
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Better grind, steel lock insert, and standard pillar construction titanium frame lock and you've got my attention.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

A non-integral Nirvana is no Nirvana at all.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Nirvana is a production copy of Rassenti Nirvana that is an integral, so I don't see any reason to make a cheaper non-integral version of it, you either buy the integral or don't buy it at all

Since it seems it was expensive to produce, late and it didn't sell well, so it's discontinued after just 1 year, we might not see another integral anytime soon
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Blade and Flame wrote:A non-integral Nirvana is no Nirvana at all.
An excellent point and I entirely agree. :)

Further: why not go with ludicrously delicious Military Fluted Titanium if you lust for a 2 piece titanium handled high end Spyderco folder: it more than ticks the boxes laid out above.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'd love to see a smaller version of the Nirvana... I liked it, but it was just too big for my tastes.
rivy

Post by rivy »

I would love to see a Nirvana 2 with some CQI implemented, especially to get rid of the lock stick.

However, it must be an integral as many have said because if not, then it's not a nirvana. I think if they address the quality issues with the first one and put a slightly different design on the handle we can just about call it a day.

A new blade grind would be fine, but wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker for me.
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

I would like to see it ffg, less expensive and fix the lock stick and I would be all over it.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Rassenti has stopped producing custom Nirvanas (as in he's replacing it in his model line). I'd rather see him either design an entirely new knife for Spyderco, or to collaborate with Spyderco to produce a version of one of his current models.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

dplafoll wrote:Rassenti has stopped producing custom Nirvanas (as in he's replacing it in his model line).
I spoke to Peter about the Nirvana two years ago at NYCKS. He essentially said that he was no longer going to make the Nirvana because he was going to let Spyderco have their time with the production version. To him, it was the natural progression to let Spyderco have their run after he finished out custom orders of the Nirvana, and to not have custom and production versions available at the same time.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

People didn't even buy the S90V CF/Ti Millie.

Not sure they'd buy a Nirvana 2.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

rivy wrote:I would love to see a Nirvana 2 with some CQI implemented, especially to get rid of the lock stick.

However, it must be an integral as many have said because if not, then it's not a nirvana. I think if they address the quality issues with the first one and put a slightly different design on the handle we can just about call it a day.

A new blade grind would be fine, but wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker for me.
What quality issues? Aside from the lockstick (which goes away once it’s broken in) I wasn’t aware of any other problems with this knife. Mine was flawless. It was probably the nicest Spyderco I’ve ever owned. The only reason I sold it was to fund a custom from Peter Rassenti himself.

I find a lot of people just didn’t like the price, which to that I say, nice things cost money.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hmm, I bought and use both the CF/Ti S90V Millie and my Nirvana all the time! My Nirvana had very minor lock stick that took a day or so to work out with the addition of some graphite on the lock face. Now it's an incredible addition to my daily user collection since it was first released. I may at some point have the blade reground a bit thinner, but I certainly won't go FFG (there's already that darn Millie! ;)) but some sweet compound grind that Josh at REK is so great at making.

I sincerely hope that Spyderco picks up another Rassenti model, the Paysan LC and I handled at OKCA would be awesome! Switching the Nirvana design to some other dual slab version is a non-starter and shouldn't even be considered.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Further: why not go with ludicrously delicious Military Fluted Titanium if you lust for a 2 piece titanium handled high end Spyderco folder: it more than ticks the boxes laid out above.
The Nirvana design is completely different than the a Military. The Nirvana lines, handle, blade shape, and grind appeal to me. Although I'm sure the Military is a great knife I have not been able to bring myself to buy one. Tip down carry, ugly carry clip, don't like the handle. This is not a Military bash but it just doesn't tick the same boxes at all compared to the Nirvana.

Granted, if the integral design makes the Nirvana what it is then I guess I just would like to see something a little more in my budget. A knife that looks exactly the same but with slightly cheaper materials. Something sub $300.

So far I haven't seen the Nirvana discounted and in stock anywhere but if it gets low enough I will buy one.

There will always be people saying they would like to see a knife bigger or smaller but there are plenty of sub 3.5 knifes to choose from in the line. I would like to see more in the 3.5 - 3.9" (cutting edge). I have found that to be a sweet spot for me and the Nirvana was there it was just too expensive.
More CBBL please!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

that paysan looks real nice. I'm a sucker for a good sheepsfoot with some belly.

*looks at collection of Southards and whistles*
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

people didn't buy the original Nirvana and it's getting discontinued, Spyderco is probably losing money with Nirvana and now you want a Nirvana 2 :D

if possible not an integral, dual slab but cheaper
if still an integral, should still be cheaper, with cheaper materials, 8Cr13Mov and plastic integral handle
then smaller, different grind, lock insert

but if you look at Rassenti's Nirvana, that one is about same size, about same grind, no lock insert, so Spyderco is guilty of reproducing the custom :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/0-dF0apSd4/

since it was time consuming and expensive to produce and it didn't sell very well I doubt there will be a second version

if you want a production Nirvana then buy the existing one while you still can, after that you will only be able to buy the custom Nirvana once Rassenti resumes making it: "peterrassenti: Its not so bad retiring a knife knowing it will be available from spyderco. And i might reintroduce it in a 3.5 size in a year or two."

https://www.instagram.com/p/4uxLJYpSXT/

but that will not be cheaper, with cheaper materials, dual slab, lock insert and so on :D