Fine Grit Ceramic Slip Stone v. Fine Ceramic File Set

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RLDubbya

Fine Grit Ceramic Slip Stone v. Fine Ceramic File Set

Post by RLDubbya »

Greetings, one and all.

I have a Spyderco fine ceramic file set, and I love it - the shape of the files permits me to sharpen odd shaped and smaller blades, including serrations.

My only whine is that the files are small, and hard for my fubar fingers to grasp. I'm thinking the larger slipstone might give me some of the sharpening ability I need, while giving me a huge boost in size that I definitely need.

Does anybody know if the two stone sets are equivalent abrasives?
JD Spydo

Re: Fine Grit Ceramic Slip Stone v. Fine Ceramic File Set

Post by JD Spydo »

I've also got both sharpening tools as well and I've had really good results with them too. I use my Spyderco fine Slipstone much more than I do the Spyderco ceramic file set. A lot of people ignore them because of their small size but I've found that there are a lot of things you can do with them because of their smaller size and versatility.

I've used that Slipstone a couple of times to sharpen some serration patterns and it worked quite well. I've also used the Slipstone to sharpen a linoleum knife with good results as well. I love all of Spyderco's sharpening tools and I've found all of them to have great uses for all kinds of sharpening jobs.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RL,

A 1/2" dowel about 5" long with a 1/4" hole in the end about 1" deep, might work as a handle for the ceramic files?

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:Hi RL,

A 1/2" dowel about 5" long with a 1/4" hole in the end about 1" deep, might work as a handle for the ceramic files?

sal
That's interesting>> I never even thought of having some type of file handle on those little ceramic files but the more I think about it the more I would like to do that to one of my sets of those 400F files.

I'm wondering if one of these tool companies might carry file handles for files that small? Also I've been wondering when the base unit for the GOLDENSTONE might be coming to market?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

The protos are done on the Golden Stone base. First the Gauntlet (which we're waiting for production), then the Galley V, then the Golden Stone base.

sal
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Thanks Sal. Just to be "that guy" what is your take on machining a metal handle with a set screw, and using a piece of old bicycle inner tube between the set screw and the ceramic to prevent breakage / cracking from overtightening?

I'm trying to teach myself basic machining techniques, and figure this is a productive little project.
sal

Post by sal »

Sounds like a fun project. Should work well.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:Hi JD,

The protos are done on the Golden Stone base. First the Gauntlet (which we're waiting for production), then the Galley V, then the Golden Stone base.

sal
That is great news Mr. Glesser and I'm anxiously awaiting all of those units to hit the market>> because I make it a point to buy every sharpening tool that Spyderco makes. The only ones I don't have to date is the larger Ultra-Fine stone or the Doublestuff 2 but both of them are on my list to get.

Any more news on the Sprint Run of the 701 Profiles? Hopefully in more grit selections too? That 701 Profile is such a genius tool and I use my sets for all kinds of metal working and knife maintenance. I truly believe every machinist on the planet should own a set of 701 Profiles.