Sliverax Mod-Squad: pinups & give-away

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Docmiller

Re: Sliverax Mod-Squad: pinups & give-away

Post by Docmiller »

Well if removing the lanyard tube was to make it more low profile, having to place a new clip on it that makes it higher in the pocket doesn’t make too much sense.
Where did you get the aftermarket clip?
foofie

Post by foofie »

I also had the lukewarm spot from the original clip. I don't have a chopped sliverax (yet), but I fixed my issue by swapping to the shorter dragonfly-sized wire clip.
Just bought another from SFO - clip28 if it helps.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Docmiller wrote:
Where did you get the aftermarket clip?
Got it from RippsGarageTech. Fits most Spydies w/ the wire clip. Also, just got in Foofie's Silverax to mod, and was able to do a direct comparison btwn his unmodded (not for long), and mine - I think they feel the same in terms of clip-hand interaction.
Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

Thanks for the info! I think I am going to shorten it. I enjoy it as an EDC but rarely have to hard use my EDC enough for a minor hot spot to make a difference anyway.

However the reason I never bought the positron was I felt the original pocket clip was horrible in the hand.

Could you post some close ups of around the base of the handle and on the top of the spine. I thought about rounding the spine while I am shortening the blade.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

First batch of stickers is headed out today.

Keep the mods and pics comin’ guys, I’ve been really impressed by what’s been revealed so far.

- Paul
foofie

Post by foofie »

Docmiller wrote: Could you post some close ups of around the base of the handle and on the top of the spine. I thought about rounding the spine while I am shortening the blade.
Doc,

Just got my chopped Sliverax back from DigDug - Awesome job!!
Two responses to your earlier questions. He contoured the scales as well as chopped them. For me, this causes the grip to rotate just a little bit - so that the 90 degree bend in the clip is what hits my palm. With regular scales, the dip in the clip (start of the rounded part) was hitting, and this was improved with the short clip. Bottom line - play with it and see what gives you the most comfortable grip.

I am including some pics here at your request. When you say you want to round the spine (and need pics), I assume you mean the handle rather than the blade? Will be very hard to round out the top of the scales as the liners/pockets are pretty close to the edge. Hard to photograph, but I tried to catch the light so you could see where the liners stop. Not sure if I am answering your question, so let me know if I missed it. Nick posted a nice takedown video - you could look at that and the milled pockets to get a better sense of how much material you can remove before exposing the liners.

Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

Finally got around to uploading mine. Took about a quarter inch off the blade and rounded for more of a sheepfoot shape.
Added the black clip and a strip of rubber grip tape to the lock bar. I had previously removed the flipper tab and polished the detent ball track.

Left a bit more on the butt as I didn't want the clip to be able to slide out as well as I left it a bit more squared off so I could keep more blade while avoiding catching the tip between the scales with a finger (which is a slight problem with the stock knife)
I am very happy with the end result. I have a few more small tweaks in mind if I get some time to play with it. Thanks to everyone for some of the ideas and most of all thank you Paul for a great knife!!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Docmiller wrote: Image
I am very happy with the end result. I have a few more small tweaks in mind if I get some time to play with it. Thanks to everyone for some of the ideas and most of all thank you Paul for a great knife!!

You a cyclist, also? :)
Going back to Caly.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Nice job Doc!
I am also considering grinding off the flipper tab. It flips fine - but the more I use the knife, the less I use the flipper tab.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

foofie wrote: I am also considering grinding off the flipper tab. It flips fine - but the more I use the knife, the less I use the flipper tab.
Yep, I'm with you, just ground mine off a few minutes ago!
Docmiller wrote: Finally got around to uploading mine. Took about a quarter inch off the blade and rounded for more of a sheepfoot shape.
Looks nice Doc!
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Family & Individual Pic Mod!

Paul, hats off to you my friend. I love my PM2, my first ever Spydie, and I love my KC Exclusive CF Manix 2 in Cru Wear, but the Sliverax is king of my pocket. Everything is just beautifully done. The action is great, the light weight is incredible, and ergonomics are captivating and the deep cary wire clip on the CF scales makes it a breeze to get in and out of the pocket. The only critique I have is for a slightly stronger detent as Evil D has mentioned, but I know you have also addressed this yourself. But I'll take it every day of the week and twice on Sunday!
Attachments
IMG_3918.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

paulwa wrote:First batch of stickers is headed out today.

Keep the mods and pics comin’ guys, I’ve been really impressed by what’s been revealed so far.

- Paul
Mine came today! Thank you Paul! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Got mine yesterday, thanks again Paul :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Got my stickers yesterday. Thanks Paul!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Thanks for the stickers Paul, mine arrived yesterday.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Mine arrived yesterday as well, you da man Paul!! Thanks! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
foofie

Post by foofie »

Stickers received. Thank you Paul.
The envelope looks like usps ran over it a couple times in a rain storm. Luckily the stickers are intact.
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

Hi there all!

Just wanted to add my two cents and show I haven't forgotten the forum! Went on vacation and came home to find my soulknife patiently waiting for me. I've spent a minute or two getting to know my Flippy Holdy Cut N Foldy. Now, I feel time has come to say a word about it.

Magnificent!

I will not be modding mine in the near future. Too perfect for me as is. Maybe down the road I'll find some way I feel I could improve on this beauty; probably 3D tiClip. For now, however, I am in love.

Thank you, Paul.

You've hit one outa the park here!

Side note: I feel inspiration from my short time with the FHCnF and my longer time with my Efficient. A small knife sharing the small stature of the latter and quality and (for lack of a better word) spirit of the former sounds interesting.
Not actually a mod but I may try my luck at putting something of the sort together for personal use and see how it goes! I'd of Course rather a full fledged spydie of the sort!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received my PA stickers in the mail yesterday. Thank you Paul!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Hello,

the French adventures of the Sliverax are here in three parts. I have started to mod it in the second.

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2017/11/17 ... ife-act-i/

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2017/11/20 ... convexing/

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2017/11/23 ... iii-using/

Like always it's a work in progress...

My main modification has been to thin the edge to my taste and also to instal a black wire clip. I want to touch up my knife only with some leather and white ceramic once the edge is made.

I'm happy with the result....