New Models Dropped: Shaman PE/SE, Hundred Pacer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Models Dropped: Shaman PE/SE, Hundred Pacer

Post by dplafoll »

As always, thanks to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for allowing me to handle the knives and bug them weekly.

Album link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/57770516@N06/38282M

https://www.flickr.com/gp/57770516@N06/6Zv53V

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Shaman:
Well it's here y'all. And it is, as far as I can tell, as good as everyone expected. It looks and feels like a larger, upgraded Native 5. The sculpted G-10 handles feel fantastic. The ergos are as good as the Native but on a larger scale. The blade is beautifully finished (aside: I'd love to see more Spyderco knives with this stonewash finish, especially sprints) and the shape is definitely Native XL. The blade opens easily, although on both of the samples I handled it's got that initial, pre-break-in stiffness that you get with compression locks sometimes. But they were both loosening up even as we were standing there playing with them. It's nice in the pocket, and I really, really like that they stonewashed the clip too.
We found one ergonomic concern with the compression lock; the bottom of the front of the choil is so long, that it protrudes up into the area with the comp lock tab. The point of the choil is towards the rear, so all you have to do is get used to your finger being towards the front part of the comp lock tab, and you're fine. It's not quite as thoughtless as a Para Military 2 or a Sage 5, but it's honestly not something I'd find to be a problem (YMMV). It's similar to how the flipper tab on the Sliverax (and, I would imagine, any future comp lock flippers) will hit your finger if the finger is out of place, but you can adjust around it. That's really my only complaint with the Shaman, and it's not a big deal; I was already getting used to it with just a few minutes of handling.
I want one, but I can't come close to justifying it right now, and I've got others I want first. Plus, I'll probably grab a sprint version. But it's a great knife, and I think it's a great addition and a good complement to the line-up. I can definitely recommend this to someone who wants something like a Para Military 2 (3.5inch-ish blade, compression lock, maybe American-made) but doesn't like the PM2 for some reason, maybe blade shape, or the handles are too thin/sharp, or whatever. Very well done on this one.

Hundred Pacer:
This thing is large and ridiculous (phrasing). I'm not a huge fan of the ergos, but I can see how the blade shape and positioning could be useful for some uses and cuts (food prep comes to mind; the edge is down at the knuckles like the SpydieChef). Build quality is excellent, the G-10 is very neat and finely detailed, and lockup is good. It's a little harder to open with certain methods, but that's likely solvable with repetition. It's definitely thin, but very wide, so it doesn't sit well in the front pocket where I carry.
Overall, it's neat, and I'm glad they're making odd knives like this to appeal to wider audience (like the Tighe Stick and Mamba and others before). But it's not really my taste, and I don't think I'll be picking one up. But if it appeals to you, I think you won't be disappointed in the quality and execution.

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Redman5006

Re: New Models Dropped: Shaman PE/SE, Hundred Pacer

Post by Redman5006 »

I second more stonewashed blades, and clips to match. The action on the Shaman with its thick and heavy blade stock reminds me of the Yojimbo 2. I'm very happy with the knife over all and can't wait to get mine.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The other SE Shaman followed me home from Marks. Great review Pat. I think there will be a great call for sculpted G10 on existing models in the future.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks for the review, Patrick. You made so many nice pics, full of details. That‘s excellent. However I was missing comparison pics of the new knives, especially the Shaman, showing the thickness of the new ones compared to a well known model such as the PM2 that you used. Everybody seems to love the contoured handles - I wonder if that‘s bought by a too high thickness? Is it still pocket friendly, thickness-wise?

On the other hand this is a strong design, meant for hard outdoors use. You probably won‘t carry it in slim fit fancy pants pockets.

The HP looks very hot. Those who buy it will love it, I‘m pretty sure.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

archangel wrote:Thanks for the review, Patrick. You made so many nice pics, full of details. That‘s excellent. However I was missing comparison pics of the new knives, especially the Shaman, showing the thickness of the new ones compared to a well known model such as the PM2 that you used. Everybody seems to love the contoured handles - I wonder if that‘s bought by a too high thickness? Is it still pocket friendly, thickness-wise?

On the other hand this is a strong design, meant for hard outdoors use. You probably won‘t carry it in slim fit fancy pants pockets.

Woops. Yeah that would've been a good comparison. I'll try to remember to do that next time I'm in there (no later than Friday I'm sure).
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks, appreciated. Don‘t get me wrong, your pic reviews are awesome, they help alot to learn if a new model suits my weirdo expectations. I always enjoy them!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Is it just me or is the bevel kind of uneven in that PE Shaman? Doesn’t look right to me towards where it meets the choil.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

zhyla wrote:Is it just me or is the bevel kind of uneven in that PE Shaman? Doesn’t look right to me towards where it meets the choil.
I agree
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

zhyla wrote:Is it just me or is the bevel kind of uneven in that PE Shaman? Doesn’t look right to me towards where it meets the choil.
I think it is just lighting combined with the transition to the plunge line. I imagine from another angle it would look fine. The f&f on the Shamans I have handled (several) has been top notch.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

archangel wrote:Thanks for the review, Patrick. You made so many nice pics, full of details. That‘s excellent. However I was missing comparison pics of the new knives, especially the Shaman, showing the thickness of the new ones compared to a well known model such as the PM2 that you used. Everybody seems to love the contoured handles - I wonder if that‘s bought by a too high thickness? Is it still pocket friendly, thickness-wise?

I think anyone comfortable with carrying a PM2 will find the Shaman a joy to carry.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The hundred pacer is growing on me, I thought it looked a bit wide when closed but I'm starting to change my mind.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Looks oversharpened to a slight recurve.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

ABX2011 wrote:
Looks oversharpened to a slight recurve.
I see the same.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice shots! Always look forward to your threads.

That Shaman is starting to look irresistible.

Don't want to sound demanding, but is there any way you could maybe include a photo or two of all these great new knives from the thickness point of view? Like from above while they are open and edge down on the table?
Going back to Caly.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Here's mine, the bevel appears even to me.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

holeshot wrote:Here's mine, the bevel appears even to me.

That looks way better. I think I’d send that one in the OP’s photos back. It’s not been ground properly.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I noticed it too. There's not really a recurve, but more like a sloppy finish to the grind and a bit left unsharpened. In this pic, it's even more pronounced. If I had this one, and I had the tools to do so, I'd just take it out and add a sharpening notch there.

Patrick LaFollette
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

SpeedHoles wrote:Nice shots! Always look forward to your threads.

That Shaman is starting to look irresistible.

Don't want to sound demanding, but is there any way you could maybe include a photo or two of all these great new knives from the thickness point of view? Like from above while they are open and edge down on the table?
Done! Four new pics in the album at the end.
Patrick LaFollette
JimP

Post by JimP »

Hopefully the Hundred Pacer sells well enough for them to bring out a Baby Hundred Pacer....
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

JimP wrote:Hopefully the Hundred Pacer sells well enough for them to bring out a Baby Hundred Pacer....
The FiftyPacer :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."