The Forgotten Model? A Perfect EDC? Yeah The ROOKIE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Forgotten Model? A Perfect EDC? Yeah The ROOKIE

Post by JD Spydo »

There has been so much talk lately about SPRINT Runs and which ones we all think would be perfect. I was thinking last night while going through my footlocker and I happened onto a model that I believe with the right handle material and a new supersteel blade might just be the best candidate for a serious Sprint Run.>> Actually I won't stop there because with many jurisdictions with strict blade length limits and so many people who love a more conservative design I can't think of a better Sprint Run than the ROOKIE model.

Also with all the guys who long for more Spyders with Micarta scales how about a Micarta ROOKIE with M-4 or M390 blade steel. I doubt if any dealer could keep them on the shelves very long at all. With so many conservative people that I work with that think that my EDC ( M390 Military) is way too much knife for them>> then the ROOKIE would be the answer for most people's EDC.

Or maybe you all have your own idea what would be the perfect ROOKIE model>> handle material and blade steel>> also you can give clip preferences too.
Mushroom

Re: The Forgotten Model? A Perfect EDC? Yeah The ROOKIE

Post by Mushroom »

I definitely agree with just about everything you've said and second this notion!
I'd love to see a Rookie sprint in K390 as a companion model to the Police 4 and I, personally, wouldn't be picky about handle handle material or color. Just gimme that Rookie! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm sold on this idea and would buy whatever sprint they put out.

However, I would like to see a new model tweaked like the Police4 with choil. Deep carry wire clip would be my choice on a knife like this FWIW. So far I really like how K390 performs and would enjoy more of it on Seki models.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Or HAP-40.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Not very interested in a ROOKIE sprint but very,very interested in a mini-POLICE 4 ; blade lenght : 3.25 inch, blade steel : K390, SRS15, CTS-XHP, handle material : light grey G10. Just implement the swedge from the ROOKIE, it's a nice and usefull feature.Oh yeah, let's not forget ...make it in spyderedge, it's a must for me :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:Not very interested in a ROOKIE sprint but very,very interested in a mini-POLICE 4 Oh yeah, let's not forget ...make it in spyderedge, it's a must for me :eek:
Yeah I really wish that all of these Sprint Runs would have at least 10% to 15% of the run in Spyderedge. Because a lot of old school people like myself remember the iconic models in Spyderedge.

and there are so many of these great older models that got their start in Spyderedge and the POLICE being a prime example of that.
losinground

Post by losinground »

I like the Rookie very much, but would also like to see the JD Smith in a sprint.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

As long as it would be FFG and not have that swedge on the end of the blade I would be for it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would definitely buy a rookie, as long as it's ffg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Holland wrote:I would definitely buy a rookie, as long as it's ffg
I think the overall consensus is going to be for a Full Flat Grind. But if push came to shove and Spyderco insisted on a sabre grind I won't argue with them at all as long as they use a premium handle material and one of the supersteels.

This could be the ultimate EDC especially for people who live where they have draconian knife laws :( But even where the laws are more lenient I still think that a beefed up, upscale version of the ROOKIE might even generate enough enthusiasm to maybe even bring it back to the main line up.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I wouldn't buy a mini-Police(Rookie) which doesn't have a hollow or saber grind blade, serrated with a swedge.Enough said...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Doc Dan wrote:As long as it would be FFG and not have that swedge on the end of the blade I would be for it.
this ^^

I could live with sabre grind, but I like the look of that sort of blade shape w/o the swedge much better.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wanimator wrote:Or HAP-40.
Good suggestion>> but why limit it to just that one steel? For instance if they do a Sprint of the G-10 handle and one of the stainless handle then why not have different blade steels?

Also different handle colors for different edge types is a good option as well. But the ROOKIE model has been in the back of my mind for some time. I've had several of my very conservative, old school friends who normally gravitate to knife brands like BUCK, CASE, KA-Bar or Queen Cutlery who normally don't like my Spyderco knives all seem to like the ROOKIE for some reason.

It would truly open up a big untapped market IMO.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Do a run with CruWear and Green G10 ala Caly3.

Consider subsequent variations based on sales and feedback.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nicked.onaut wrote:Do a run with CruWear and Green G10 ala Caly3.

Consider subsequent variations based on sales and feedback.
I like that suggestion :) G-10 is about my favorite handle material for folders I use and I've yet to own a Spyder with Cruwear.

There are so many really cool possibilites for the Rookie model. I would also love to see one with a Titanium handle.
arty

Post by arty »

I would like to see one with CF or CF laminate for the handle. This would be more rigid than a straight G10 and lighter. For EDC, I would prefer a stainless steel and am flexible: XHP, S35V, ZDP or even VG10 would be good.

I actually like the saber grind and swedge, but would be happy with a full flat grind for this knife.
It might sell better with a steel upgrade from VG10, but that is a marketing decision.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

elena86 wrote:I wouldn't buy a mini-Police(Rookie) which doesn't have a hollow or saber grind blade, serrated with a swedge.Enough said...
Agreed 100%. I'm not interested in a Grasshopper with a pocket clip. If it isn't a Saber grind with Swedge it's not a Rookie.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

5-by-5 wrote:
elena86 wrote:I wouldn't buy a mini-Police(Rookie) which doesn't have a hollow or saber grind blade, serrated with a swedge.Enough said...
Agreed 100%. I'm not interested in a Grasshopper with a pocket clip. If it isn't a Saber grind with Swedge it's not a Rookie.
Third that! (Well, except the serrated part) I looked the other way with the 2017 Jess Horn sprint, that won't happen again with another deviation from the norm :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

elena86 wrote:Not very interested in a ROOKIE sprint but very,very interested in a mini-POLICE 4 ; blade lenght : 3.25 inch, blade steel : K390, SRS15, CTS-XHP, handle material : light grey G10. Just implement the swedge from the ROOKIE, it's a nice and usefull feature.Oh yeah, let's not forget ...make it in spyderedge, it's a must for me :eek:
Ditto: Interested in a small Police 4. Not picky about blade material or handle color though K390/Black would make since from a production standpoint. Linerless G10 is always a win for me but simply a 3.25-3.50" blade version of the P4 would be amazing.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

Just have to throw my voice behind a mini-police 4 -- though I do like the swedge. Not pick about handle material, though it might be nice to see a little tapering on the corners to give the handle a slight palm swell. Would be comfortable in the hand, easy in/out of the pocket, and offer some nice grip retention.